Gibson Brands Forums

Non-Gibson significant guitar in da house.

ksdaddy

The ex has an old old Ovation. I thought it was an Applause but it's got a different headstock. He's had it since it was new, early 1980's I think, maybe even late 1970's. It has no truss rod, but just the past year the thing has been buzzing. It's heartbreaking for the ex because he loves that guitar, and it really does have a great sound to it.... lotta bass! When it starts buzzing, he has to take it into the shop and the luthier puts it in a 'neck press' for a few days. When he picks it up, the lutheir gives him the same warning message "it's on its way out, start looking around for a new one'. We spent four and a half hours one Saturday just playing guitars at different shops and he couldn't find one that he thought could hold a candle to his old Ovation. The closest guitar he found was a Gibson SWD

Nice wee bit of history there...although I'm disappointed it has a wooden top...I am super keen to play one of the plastic-top Applauses, especially after th good writeup you gave yours on your site, Scott.

Nice. $130 was a steal. But, I don't suspect you're losing sleep over it.

Have you shown it to the Birkenstock shod boys over at OvationFanclub forum?

They probably will go,"eh... It isn't a 'real' "O". [blink]

Archived