Gibson Brands Forums

I locked my Lester in the case. Don't try this at home!

Twiz

Man, I'm a ******. I was playing my LP Special the other day (the one I got a couple weeks ago from that cat on eBay) and I locked the case when I put the guitar away. Doh! [lol] Well, I guess the numbers that were showing on the combination weren't the correct numbers to open the lock (probably moved during shipment or something). I couldn't figure out how to open it without the combination, and I wasn't going to take a chisel to the lock, or call a locksmith. So I started...

001 *click* nothing, 002 *click* nothing, 003 *click* nothing, 004 *click* nothing, 006 *click* nothing...etc.

45 freakin' minutes later (at 588) the damn thing opened. Needless to say, I changed the combo to some number I know. [biggrin]

Next time just press the button that opens the latch to the right instead of the left like you would if you were opening it normally. Doing that sets the combination to wherever the numbers are set. Or something like that.

Last year the gym where I work out changed to lockers with built-in keypad locks. You enter your own number when you use it. The hardest part wasn't remembering the code, it was remembering what locker it was. The first time I had to try 3 different ones before I found mine.

But then, I'm old.

Man' date=' I'm a ******. I was playing my LP Special the other day (the one I got a couple weeks ago from that cat on eBay) and I locked the case when I put the guitar away. Doh! [biggrin Well, I guess the numbers that were showing on the combination weren't the correct numbers to open the lock (probably moved during shipment or something). I couldn't figure out how to open it without the combination, and I wasn't going to take a chisel to the lock, or call a locksmith. So I started...

001 *click* nothing, 002 *click* nothing, 003 *click* nothing, 004 *click* nothing, 006 *click* nothing...etc.

45 freakin' minutes later (at 588) the damn thing opened. Needless to say, I changed the combo to some number I know. [biggrin]

I bet you will remember the number 588 forever now! [lol]

yeah' date=' i did that once with my old brown lp case. the latch is screwed into the case, so i just unscrewed it to get it open. it's okay cuz i prefer the black case i bought to replace it.... [/quote']

Thats good security right there! hehehehehe

So you need either the combo...or a screwdriver. [biggrin]

Lordy, lordy. Locks on cases. As if the thief won't steal the whole damn thing, case and all.

THIEF: "Crap, I wanted to steal that guitar but the guy has the case locked. I guess he sure outsmarted me!"

I was playing an outdoor gig many years ago and was talking to somebody from one of the other bands when a guy walked by with a guitar. "I've got a case just like that," the guy said, pointing to the generic-looking Fender tweed case.

You guessed it. The guy was stealing HIS guitar right in front of him. With so many Fender tweed cases around he didn't know it was his.

The lightbulb went on right then. From that day on I have put marks and/or bumper stickers and/or stencils or whatever on every one of my guitar cases to distinguish them from others. What happened to him won't happen to me.

P.S. I had to loan him my guitar for his performance that night.

I would have never had the patience to sit there and try every number until 588.

Yeah, I contemplated just busting the lock off, but then the hole in the case would have bothered me. Going through the 588 numbers wasn't that bad. I just put on my iPod on shuffle and started going through numbers consecutively. Sometime between The Green Manalishi (With the Two-Prong Crown) and Green Onions, I got it.

Had the same thing when I got my SG. I was told the combination was written down in the case. Got home and luckly

I had the SG in the guitar stand when I tried it. Close the lock and tried the number nothing. I had to go to

606 to get it open. That was 6 years ago and I still remember the combo.

CW

I was actually advised by the dealer where I purchased my SG 61 RI to not use the lock since they are prone to breaking anyway. He reckoned that should it be stolen, the thief would just jemmy it open anyway thus breaking the lock.

Lock picking is a skill I learned as a teenager, it still comes in handy now and then, although for more "honest" purposes. The rotary locks on Gibson cases, and many bicycle locks, are some of the easiest to "pick".

One of my favorite tricks was to go out to the school bike rack, pick a few bike locks, and then exchange the chain locks on other bikes. Then I would sit out there after school and laugh my *** off watching the kids try to unlock their bikes to go home.

But as they say "what goes around, comes around". It wasn't too long that I went out to the bike rack one day to ride home and my bike had been stolen......

Lock picking is a skill I learned as a teenager' date=' it still comes in handy now and then, although for more "honest" purposes. The rotary locks on Gibson cases, and many bicycle locks, are some of the easiest to "pick".

One of my favorite tricks was to go out to the school bike rack, pick a few bike locks, and then exchange the chain locks on other bikes. Then I would sit out there after school and laugh my *** off watching the kids try to unlock their bikes to go home.

But as they say "what goes around, comes around". It wasn't too long that I went out to the bike rack one day to ride home and my bike had been stolen......[/quote']

I know how you feel.

I use to lockpick peoples lockers and chain the combos through the little button in the back.

One day i open my lock in 8th grade and everything is gone, even my ipod :-k

Though it becuase useful once in a while.

Yeah' date=' I contemplated just busting the lock off, but then the hole in the case would have bothered me. Going through the 588 numbers wasn't that bad. I just put on my iPod on shuffle and started going through numbers consecutively. Sometime between The Green Manalishi (With the Two-Prong Crown) and Green Onions, I got it.[/quote']

That Booker T and the MGs "Green Onions" is a great groove. I feel so cool when I am driving and listening to that song.

What you should do next time when this happens:

1.Go and pick up a beer can from your fridge.

2.Drink the beer.

3. Cut off a triangle shape piece of tin from your empty beer can.

4.Set the one head of the triangle in the gap between the 1st. thumbwheel and the lock frame, in the line of the combination numbers,on the right side of the wheel.(When you look the lock as a "normal situation"

5.Gently turn the wheel and hold the pressure with triangle against the wheel until you can feel a small notch appears into your triangle head.This is now the 1st. correct number.

6.Repeat the same for 2nd and 3rd wheel.

7.Take another beer and play[biggrin]

Before I started completely sober life, I earned several beers as a "locksmith" for mates :-k

Edit:

-In addition, you can see the the notch also by shining flashlight into the space between the wheel and lock frame,

when notch appears, you have the correct number.(For the case that you don`t have the beer)

Archived