Gibson Brands Forums

John Hiatt J-45

larryp58

Nice looking guitar' date=' but is it worth the extra coin? Around $4500. I think I would go for a J-45 True Vintage instead. [lol] [/quote']

I think I've seen one for about $3500 but nevertheless I think I'd go for a true vintage, or an actual vintage for that money.

First of all, I too love John Hiatt, he is my songwriting hero. It is funny though seeing this guitar come out because in the October 2008 issue of Acoustic Guitar magazine when discussing what he plays he stated "Two (J-45s) that I've gotten from the Bozeman factory in the past five or six years and two that I got out of the line back in the 80's circa '87 or '88, after Ren Ferguson first came back to Gibson-a couple that Ren kept his eye on as they went through. No custom stuff. I like proletariat guitars, not this **** that nobody else can have".

Well then again they are only making 100 of them at $4500.00 a pop someone said. At any rate he is one great American hero songwriter!!! I'm happy with my 2007 True Vintage J-45 and it also has a sitka spruce top just like the John Hiatt model.

i'm doing a show with hiatt on april 30. i plan to see if he;s playing one. i also plan to bring in my 51 j45 and my 53 sj for him to take for a spin. if i decide to drop in here again, i'll post some pics from that encounter. hope all are well. at least the nice folks anyway. i'm sure the assholes i left to get away from are still here but i ain't going looking for them.

xoxoxo

rob

i'm doing a show with hiatt on april 30. i plan to see if he;s playing one. i also plan to bring in my 51 j45 and my 53 sj for him to take for a spin. if i decide to drop in here again' date=' i'll post some pics from that encounter. hope all are well. at least the nice folks anyway. i'm sure the *******s i left to get away from are still here but i ain't going looking for them.

xoxoxo

rob[/quote']

Suffice to say great to hear from you Rob!

Very best to you ( OMG I hope I am not one of the "*******s i left to get away from "

First of all, I too love John Hiatt, he is my songwriting hero. It is funny though seeing this guitar come out because in the October 2008 issue of Acoustic Guitar magazine when discussing what he plays he stated "Two (J-45s) that I've gotten from the Bozeman factory in the past five or six years and two that I got out of the line back in the 80's circa '87 or '88, after Ren Ferguson first came back to Gibson-a couple that Ren kept his eye on as they went through. No custom stuff. I like proletariat guitars, not this **** that nobody else can have".

Exactly!!

Suffice to say great to hear from you Rob!

Very best to you ( OMG I hope I am not one of the "*******s i left to get away from "

Thanks JohnT, not a chance you were a reason i left. you're a ray of English sunshine! Hope all is well with you.

No custom stuff. I like proletariat guitars' date=' not this **** that nobody else can have".

[/quote']

That's damn near what Jackson Browne said to me as he played my Jackson Browne signature prototype Roy Smeck. I asked him why it wasn't in production and, among other things (the pick up) that quote was pretty much how he summed it up. I guess he and John shared that sentiment at one time.

• 4 weeks later...

John plays my club tomorrow. i'll be interested to see if he is carrying his sig. gibby. if he is, i hope he'll let me play it. i'll be bringing my 53 SJ and 51 J45 to show and tell with him. if he lets me take a pic or two, i'll post them. hope all are well.

rob

www.jannuslive.com

hi karen! nice to see you too, my dear. i pop in and out for a peek from time to time. i've been looking to pick up a j200 and have been rummaging around in the trading post to no avail. anyway, you're looking well and happy in your avatar there. hope all is ducky in the great white north.

cheers!

Here's a shot of John with my 53 SJ last night. I got got a good look and feel for his J45 signature model. It's a very nice guitar and he seems quite pleased with the way it came out. The tri burst on it is great looking with the fire stripe guard. All around, a very nice guitar. Btw, it never ceases to amaze me what a crap job I do with a camera. Best to all.

Rob

HIATT.jpg

... Btw' date=' it never ceases to amaze me what a crap job I do with a camera. ...[/quote']

Still a cool shot. :)

But yeah, kind of out-of-focus and grainy.

BTW, nice to see you back around again.

Here's a shot of John with my 53 SJ last night. I got got a good look and feel for his J45 signature model. It's a very nice guitar and he seems quite pleased with the way it came out. The tri burst on it is great looking with the fire stripe guard. All around' date=' a very nice guitar. Btw, it never ceases to amaze me what a crap job I do with a camera. Best to all.

Rob

[img'][/img]HIATT.jpg

Cool shot....my advice is try to hold the camera still when you shoot....it's in focus...its just blurry from movement...too bad.

nice sj though! and john hiatt! pretty cool evening!

Archived