Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Marauder

KL

When I was at school I saved up my money to buy a Gibson. At the time I saved up enough for what was then the budget model . . . the Gibson Marauder. When I went to the shop to buy it (they had just one) I noticed that the neck was made of two parts with a join towards the headstock end. I thought that it must have been a repaired neck break, so I didn't buy it and I bought a Gibson The Paul which was about the same price. I had long forgotten this, but I recently saw a couple of Marauders and I noticed they also has the neck made with a join about a quarter of the way down the neck from the headstock, and now I'm wondering why they made them like that, just out of interest. Does anyone know? Anyone got one?

I had an S-1, which was basically the same guitar with different pickups. Mine didn't have the grafted headstock like you're describing. I think they call it a scarf joint and it's common on imported guitars now. Maybe Gibson was trying something new (for them at the time).

They did some weird stuff then, like most of the L6S models were set neck but right out of the blue some had bolt on necks. Who knows what they were thinking......

• 3 weeks later...

Cost cutting for sure. Thank the Norlin era, lots of 'low end' guitars. Bolt on necks, spliced neck construction, 'resin wood' models etc, etc.

While I love the 'standard' Gibson guitars, those odd balls from the mid 70's to mid eighties, and then the odd balls from the late 80's (not low quality or cost cutting) are some of my favs. Marauder, S1, RD, Sonex, Challenger, Invader, L6-s, then V-90, Les Paul lite, SG-Z, Les Paul JR with Steinberger whammy... awesome [biggrin]

While I love the 'standard' Gibson guitars' date=' those odd balls from the mid 70's are some of my favs. [/quote']

I agree. My '79 "The" SG is an awesome tone machine, and it's made from scrap Walnut glued together. I wouldn't take 2K for it.

I agree. My '79 "The" SG is an awesome tone machine' date=' and it's made from scrap Walnut glued together. I wouldn't take 2K for it.

[/quote']

I have a SG200 with the weirdest neck angle, and I wouldn't take $5000 for it[biggrin]

• 10 months later...
Guest FarnsBarns

A guy I used to work with brought his "vintage" LP round to proudly show it off. I never did mention the 3 piece Norlin era neck, or the terrible tone it had. He clearly bought a headstock logo with some wood attached. I have played Norlins that seemed fine so Norlins aren't automatically bad.

Here's my 1979 Marauder with the much improved blend control that was added by Gibson later instead of just the 3 way switch. It really made for endless tonal choices.

197920Gibson20Marauder20Guitar20Sco.jpg

Scott Grove from YouTube? Groovy? Nice to see ya here, welcome to the forum...love your reviews.

Here's my 1979 Marauder with the much improved blend control that was added by Gibson later instead of just the 3 way switch. It really made for endless tonal choices.

197920Gibson20Marauder20Guitar20Sco.jpg

I bought an Gibson S-1 in 1976. It had the same type headstock as the Marauder, only mine had a Rosewood fretboard. The S-1 sported 3 clear single-coil pickups

and had a 5-way Varitone switch which gave the guitar some pretty nice sounds. I sold it after I bought my Alpine White Les Paul Custom in 1987. I no longer

have that guitar either (too long a story to explain why).

Archived