Gibson Brands Forums

Should I return my SG?

ironlung40

Hey all, I'm sorta new here, so any advice would be much appreciated. I'll try to pay you back with some post of my own in the future.

Anyway, here is my dilemma. For reference I already own a 61' reissue sg and love it.

Recently, I bought a faded sg in which I intend to use as a backup guitar. I will be putting 57 classics in it if I keep it, to more closely mirror my 61'.

I ordered it from a dealer on line, so I didn't get to play it....I know, I know........It feels great and I really like the guitar, except it has severe fret buzz on the d string and treble e string. I believe the problem is in the nut. It appears that these 2 slots are cut too deep, or the other slots are too high. Anyway, I cannot adjust out the buzz no matter were I put the bridge. The buzz only occurs with the strings open, and only on the first 2 frets. All else is good.

Should I just return it, or can I trust a good setup will make this guitar shine? If the nut is addressed, would a good tech typically ensure that it is replaced or just filed? If a replacement is in order, how do I ensure that a corian genuine gibson part will be used? I don't want a cheapo aftermarket replacement to be used. I want the guitar to be intact in stock form.

Any pointers and advice to help me get what I want out of this guitar would be appreciated. BTW, I've never had a guitar professionally setup.

Ironlung

CB is right on.

Don't throw it into the hands of the first luthier you see.

Talk to a couple if you can before you make the choice.

Make sure they have plenty of experience and actually care about a "good" set up.

Another option I like to throw out there is to call Gibson Customer Service at 800-444-2766, option 1.

Open 24/7.

Ask them to recommend an authorized repair shop, and try to get it done as a warranty thing.

You can probably pay the difference and get a bone nut or such installed if you desire.

CB is right on.

Don't throw it into the hands of the first luthier you see.

Talk to a couple if you can before you make the choice.

Make sure they have plenty of experience and actually care about a "good" set up.

Another option I like to throw out there is to call Gibson Customer Service at 800-444-2766' date=' option 1.

Open 24/7.

Ask them to recommend an authorized repair shop, and try to get it done as a warranty thing.

You can probably pay the difference and get a bone nut or such installed if you desire.[/quote']

would the bone nut be a vast improvement over the corian? I don't want this faded to sound better than my 61'!!!![lol]

I'm no expert on them.

All I know is Gibson is notorious for improperly cut nuts.

Usually a little filing does the trick, but if it's cut too deep already....

As far as replacements, wait for further opinions here, or start a Lounge thread.

Call it something like "My nuts need to be replaced" or "Anybody replace their nuts?"

:-)

See what the consensus is among those guys who've swapped them.

Good luck, and welcome aboard!

Hey man I have an 09 sg faded worn brown and it is a great guitar. It sounds to me like the nut is the problem you can take a small peice of paper like off of a cigerette box and put in the nut cut to raise the string and see if it takes the buzz out I have done this before and it worked until I could afford to get the nut replaced. Also I put a bone nut on a les paul I had and they make a big difference in tone and sustain of a guitar much much better. I have put sperzel locking tuners on my sg faded and have a bone nut for it but haven't had it installed yet. I also will be putting a tonepros locking bridge and stopbar on it as soon as I can they also improve intonation and sustain. But this is my only electric guitar at the moment and I just can't leave a guitar stock...[sad]

+1 on the nut being the problem. BTW welcome and although you shouldn't have to pay for a reair on a brand new guitar, I always have the nut replaced on my Gibsons to a bone nut. Better quality and with the right luthier is so much better tone. On a side note, you can't go wrong in getting a set-up guide book like the one from Stew-Mac. and learn to do your own set ups in the future, it's well worth the 20.00 price in the long run and you'll be able to set up to your own preferences instead of having to rely on someone else. Of course there are a few things that will require a luthier such as a nut, unless you are experienced with such mods. Good luck and welcome aboard.

I feel pretty confident I can set up a guitar, mechanically I know what's going on.

But I've found that I'll mess with it, mess with it, mess with it.....

Or I can take it to my guitar guy, and in 5 minutes he can do what I've been fxcking with for a week.

And I was so close......

He hands it back to me and it's dead on every time.

I don't discourage people from working on their guitars.

But the best way to get a head start is to communicate with your luthier of choice, observe his work.

When you're comfortable tackling it yourself, go for it.

Read all you can, surf the forums, ask questions, and tinker with your guitar.

But there's no shame in paying a good luthier 20 bucks to work on a $1,000 guitar.

The ****** kids at Guitar Center are not who I'm referring to...

Do what I did to my SG. "The home remedy nut fill solution." Items needed:

1. super glue

2. baking powder

4. fine grit sandpaper or small file

5. masking tape

6. playing cards

Step 1. Take the masking tape and tape off the nut slots that will not be filled. Then tape off the fretboard at the first fret and behind the nut.

Step 2. Drop some baking powder into the nut slot(s)...a drop of super glue into the slot, then pack it with a card or something thin enough to fit the slot.

Step 3. Let it dry.

Step 4. String her up and see if the slot needs filed down, or more baking powder/superglue solution.

Step 5. Rinse and repeat if necessary.

Worked wonders for me.

Kinda new here, also, and I got my Faded Special a few months ago, too, and although I do love the guitar, it simply will not stay in tune. I am thinking nut problems here, also, as I have tried new strings, graphite on the nut, then Big Bend's Nut Sauce. No improvement.

Guess I'm just going to have to take it in to get the nut re-cut or a new nut... Shouldn't have to do this with a brand new $600 Gibson guitar IMO, but I do love everything else about the guitar...

SG_IMG_0813PB.jpg

Well I think the first thing you should do is contact the dealer and inform them of the problem. What do they suggest? They must be obliged to repair or replace faulty items that they have sent out.

Only then would would I consider talking the guitar to a tech but this will invalidate and returns policy. Also do you know a good tech? If so u could give them a ring and get there advice.

Its the same old thing I'm afraid ...try before you buy even if it means doing some leg work.

They must be obliged to repair or replace faulty items that they have sent out.

Eh...

I dunno.

I'm not sure how Gibson handles things in the UK, or what their dealer franchise agreements stipulate.

Here in the USA, Gibson dealers are not required, or expected, to do repairs.

Gibson has a network of Authorized Repair shops they will refer you to for warranty issues.

The shops have agreed in advance to perform repairs as Gibson wishes, in exchange for compensation.

Now, the store you bought it from may very well be authorized to repair it - but most are not.

Persuading a dealer to work on the guitar to "make it right" can create a situation with the warranty....

The smart thing is to get Gibson involved from the start, let them make recommendations.

If it doesn't work out, blame it on them.

But Gibson makes a lifetime guarantee on their guitars, so I wouldn't be easily discouraged....

All that being said, swapping a nut should be within the ability of any decent repair shop.

If you know a good one, pay the guy $30 and just get the damned thing done right and move on.

If you know a good one' date=' pay the guy $30 and just get the damned thing done right and move on.[/quote']

I think this is the reason Gibson doesn't fix this issue with the nut. They

no that people just go get it done.

CW doesn't play that game because that's what warranty is for. I paid for

the guitar once now you want me for no fault of my own to pay another

$30 bucks on top of the hassle of taking it in.

I would take it back plain and simple then if they get enough back they might

think they need to fix this issue.

CW

I live in Portugal. I bought it in a Gibson dealer.

Our law establishes that everything must have' date=' at least, a warranty of two years.[/quote']

Not sure I would like such a Big Government approach to the matter....

Mandatory warranties are rare for consumer products in the USA - outside of emissions parts on cars.

Businesses do it on their own.

Whether they will honor it is a different story.

So, if I became a Gibson-authorized dealer in Portugal it looks like I'd be returning a lot of guitars.

I'm not gonna sell junk to anybody, and I'm not gonna fix their sh!t...

All right,

got the guitar repaired. The luthier, grinded some bone down and filled the gap, as only the d string slot was a little low. At first, I would have preferred a new nut, but he said that he had repaired many guitars that way in the past 9 years with no problems reported, so I'm going to take him for his word, and see how it holds up. He also said the neck was screwed, and made some truss rod adjustments to straighten it back out, he then lowered the action and intonated it, so I'm good to go, for now.

I hope I didn't screw up by not demanding a new nut, but he said the bone would hold up good. If it doesn't I'll definitely get a new nut, next time.

Anyway the store didn't charge me a nickel, but this guy works independently of the store and only gets store pay with guitars that they sell. Seeing as how I bought my guitar from a different store (same chain though), I felt like I should give him something, so I did.

here are the pics so I'm not labled a [cool] ! (the pic is a little dark, sorry) Don't know how to do it other than the link below

Tell me what you think of the bone filling.

SG Photos

Archived