Gibson Brands Forums

Practice, practice, practice!

Gilliangirl

Reading Modac's thread about tortoiseshell picks, and DH's post about blue chip picks, I had to go on YouTube and see what a $35.00 pick sounded like. I found this video, but was just as intrigued by the message in the video...... 10,000 hours? I should live so long!

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Reading Modac's thread about tortoiseshell picks' date=' and DH's post about blue chip picks, I had to go on YouTube and see what a $35.00 pick sounded like. I found this video, but was just as intrigued by the message in the video...... 10,000 hours? I should live so long!

[/quote']

Live so long? Shoot, girl...I've got liver spots older'n you!!

GG-

I broke down and bought a Blue CHipper. I had purchased several different Wegen picks, and really liked one of them. (A white one for $7.50. Whenever I dropped it at a jam, I'd stop everything until it was found. Nothing like paying real money for a pick..)

Anyway, a friend came by with a Blue Chip, and that settled things. He lit into my old L-4, and the sound was amazing. Some of that was just sitting in front of the guitar for a change, but a lot of it was the pick. We tried different options- including the Wegens- but the Blue Chip was all guitar.

So now I've got a $35 dollar pick. :) I'm going to play a dance in a couple weeks, and am strongly considering taking the BC with me. I don't know how I'm going to get everyone to stop dancing if I drop the dang thing...:P

Being an acoustics-jumkie, I would buy a $35.00 pick. I'd also likely duct tape it to my hand tho' so i wouldn't lose it! :)

Hoss, if you drop that pick during the dance, just keep tapping loudly with your foot and they'll think it's supposed to be a guitar break. That'll buy ya some time until you find the pick. Or there's always duct tape!

Wow. $35 for a pick. Must be some wicked pick. Reminds me of the John Travolta/Uma Thurman scene in Pulp Fiction with the $5.00 milkshake.

I guess I have a threshold with picks. I wouldn't know the difference between a $5 pick and a $35 pick but I don't have much tolerance for the really cheap thin ones. I love Tortex picks but will grab anything as long as it's thick enough.

I really liked those Martin picks from the 70s with the thick diamond-plate surface in the grip area. They were a quarter apiece then I think. Now they show up on ebay for $20.

Wow. $35 for a pick. Must be some wicked pick. Reminds me of the John Travolta/Uma Thurman scene in Pulp Fiction with the $5.00 milkshake.

I guess I have a threshold with picks. I wouldn't know the difference between a $5 pick and a $35 pick but I don't have much tolerance for the really cheap thin ones. I love Tortex picks but will grab anything as long as it's thick enough.

I really liked those Martin picks from the 70s with the thick diamond-plate surface in the grip area. They were a quarter apiece then I think. Now they show up on ebay for $20.

Picks have come a long ways. Remember the days when you'd cut plastic triangles from milk jugs or bottles of cleaning products? [biggrin]

Never quite did that. With a father and brother being guitar players, there were always picks around. I did like going into the music store at the age of seven and getting one of those big triangular psychedelic ones out of the goldfish bowl. 10 cents each or 3 for a quarter I think. So I could go home and pretend to be Jimmie Rodgers with a sunburst Kay GSO (guitar shaped object).

Picks have come a long ways. Remember the days when you'd cut plastic triangles from milk jugs or bottles of cleaning products? [biggrin]

Done that more times than I'd care to mention.

Also used to own on torti pick ( which I am not proud of but it sounded fantasttic)

I can remember going through the "Boutique pick" thing with Terry Wilson last year and we deduced we still sounded bad!

So anyone think of a novel use for credit cards?

Yes! I cut up one of my credit cards to use as a shim under a saddle once' date=' for a guitar that I was fixing up.

Hmmm, maybe it was my airmiles card?:)

I still miss TWilson [biggrin

I like melting them down and reshaping them so they harden into pointy dagger like weapons that I can sneak through airport metal detectors, courthouse security, etc.

I credit card shanked a man in Reno, just to watch him die...

... I wouldn't know the difference between a $5 pick and a $35 pick

The Big Kahuna was a mighty tasty burger, and that was one heck of a milk shake.

And you will know the difference, I originally detested everything about Blue Chip, elitist overpriced hype, ugly color, etc. --- it took about a 10 second G-run flatpicking test drive in the store on a Martin HD-28V to realize the claims were true.

My $5 pick is a Wegan Bluegrass 1.4, (have cups full of picks) and the Blue Chip out tones 'em all --- it pulls a pureness out of the guitar nothing else can, and it can be as loud as need be...

Yes! I cut up one of my credit cards to use as a shim under a saddle once' date=' for a guitar that I was fixing up.

Hmmm, maybe it was my airmiles card?[thumbup

OMG! I've used cut-up credit cards as picks for 30 years!

Just gotta get the parts that don't have embossed lettering on them!

Done that more times than I'd care to mention.

Also used to own on torti pick ( which I am not proud of but it sounded fantasttic)

I can remember going through the "Boutique pick" thing with Terry Wilson last year and we deduced we still sounded bad!

I use credit cards for:

- protecting the fretboard and headstock while dressing a nut slot with nut files

- protecting the fretboard while polishing frets with 0000 steel wool (I cut a slot in the card with a dremel)

- marking nut slot locations

DSCF1332a.jpg

One time I made a pick out of 0.050" thick brass. No idea why, just to see if I could do it. I think the bigget challenge was smoothing the edges so you don't get that sawtooth effect. You'd be surprised how the tiniest bit of roughness is amplified using something like brass.

It's almost like cranking up a flywheel. I reared back and gave the strings a mighty strum and my right hand kept right on going. I think I see how Pete Townsend came up with that windmill move.

s1jhgg.jpg

Well now I want one! [blink]

Be forewarned, this descent into madness has no bottom

My Blue Chip is a TAD-60 which is a 1.5 thick jumbo rounded triangular -- can't beat it for flatpicking Adi tops ---

Maybe the Dove needs a smaller thinner one...perhaps a standard Fender sized 1.0 Blue Chip ?

I see a Rocky Mountain Sheep on National Geographic and wonder do they shed their antler / horns --- bet that would be a cool nut, saddle and bridge pin material...

I have the TAD R-- one of the corners is rounded on that series so it gives you a couple sound options for one pick. (I like using the round corner on the Archtop.)

However, It's a '50'-and I know this is overkill- but I've got to order a '40'. Yes that's it. I will be complete and done with all of this nonsense once I possess a TADR40.

I justify a purchase of a $40 pick the same way I justified spending $100 on a capo: What's the point of having a $2000+ guitar and then using a pick that doesn't get the maximum out of the instrument? Naturally, I'll feel differently about this position once I've lost one of these picks.

However' date=' It's a '50'-and I know this is overkill- but I've got to order a '40'. Yes that's it. I will be complete and done with all of this nonsense once I possess a TADR40. [/quote']

So it's settled --- we'll each buy a 40 series as our second, err, final Blue Chip...

Like you I welcome this final purchase, and look forward to focusing solely on playing and singing, without these other distractions...

Archived