Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson, in house refinishing?

mooboo

I've heard stories in the past about Gibson refinishing some of their guitars in house.. I was wondering if anyone knew an estimate on the price to get my CL-30 refinished with a sunburst top. Also, if anyone has any stories of their guitars being refinished by Gibson, please share!

I am not sure they would do it. I call last week about a repair to my finish. They said they only repair finishes under warranty. I think it looks great

The answer to your problem: get another burst Gibson then you have both!

I am not sure they would do it.

You are correct, sir. They will not do aftermarket guitar refinishing work at the Bozeman plant. I inquired about having my 200 refinished and they said no.......not enough time and staff to take on that kind of work load.

I sent my J-45 to Gibson repair in Nashville had neck reset , refret and braces reglued. they gave me an estimate to refinish of $3000.00 + for a complete refinish but also told me they would not recommend doing to my guitar. I paid $100 for the guitar in 1976 . I could buy a new one for less and did. Still some day I would like to have it refinished.

I sent my J-45 to Gibson repair in Nashville had neck reset ' date=' refret and braces reglued. they gave me an estimate to refinish of $3000.00 + for a complete refinish[/quote']

Wow . . . that's a lot of money!

I tried to get Gibson to refret my 1966 J-45, but they would not accept a "foreign repair".

Yep' date=' Gibson Repair works on all brands and does finish work. Get the big bucks ready.

E-mail: repair@gibson.com

Phone: 615.244.0252

http://www.gibson.com/Files/_repair/repair_restoration.pdf

[/quote']

Considering that I got the guitar for less than the cost of a refret, I think I may spend the extra cash having my DREAM guitar. Depends on how steep tho.. Email sent to Gibson!

Thanks BigKahune! I'm definately looking into it. The price of the guitar originally plus the refinish is still less than I would have been willing to spend on the guitar overall. Does anyone have an opinion on if a refinish changes sound quality?

French polishing would work if you had no finish on your guitar to begin with. If you have bits of nitro to remove it could prove tiresome...

Don't take this the wrong way Mooboo, but do you mind if I ask why you have a quote from the bible on your signature. I tend to stay away from politics and religion, and kind of thought a guitar forum would have no place for such commentary. Perhaps it's something music related and I'm just being dumb....

French polishing would work if you had no finish on your guitar to begin with. If you have bits of nitro to remove it could prove tiresome...

Don't take this the wrong way Mooboo' date=' but do you mind if I ask why you have a quote from the bible on your signature. I tend to stay away from politics and religion, and kind of thought a guitar forum would have no place for such commentary. Perhaps it's something music related and I'm just being dumb....[/quote']

It's in my signature, which some forum members use to showcase guitars, quotes, and sayings.. It's a great verse from scripture; I used it as my senior quote and have it on my facebook. If you need to discuss further you can PM me, as it is a tad off subject. [blink]

I emailed Gibson back asking if they could also replace the pickguard and how much it is estimated to be. They said of course! But estimated a cost of $300.... :S Think I'll go with Terrapin on that one.

Archived