Gibson Brands Forums

What's up with the Robots?

JThunderz

Sh*t happens to both acoustics and electrics. That's why most giggin' musicians have a backup. The robots are no different. There's plenty of guys posting right here on these forums about problems with their STD, Faded, Special, whatever - I don't see anyone advocating dumping those models because some people have trouble with technology based in the 1940s and 1950s.

Personally, I've had a Robot since 2008 that's worked perfectly. No issues.

... It's totally a purist thing' date=' for the most part. Same goes for chambering. I don't have a use for a Robot guitar because I only stay in standard tuning or drop D. I don't hate them but I also wouldn't buy one.[/quote']

That's it in a nutshell. The "older" Robot technology is aimed alt tunings.

The newer Robot models - Dark Fire, Dusk Tiger and Les Paul Standard 2010 Limited - offer more technology than just the Robot tech. The newer models are aimed at musicians looking for more options and control over their tuning, tone, sound and signal processing; on top of having the robot tuning tech built in.

Surprisingly, despite an imense amount of bashing, Gibson is still expanding what it calls "Robot Technology", which is evolving into a broader range of tech providing more options and possibilities for musicians that learn how to use it. I'd like to see Gibson continue the line. We'll see.

Actually I just watched a new video on Robot 2....when changing strings you have to pull out the tuning key. If you forget' date=' well you know.

[/quote']

Please show me that video.

Having a Robot Gen II, I have to pull out nothing(and there is nothing to pull out...).

If your considerations are based only on the threads read on the Gibson forums' date=' you have only a limited and biased vision of the whole phenomenon.

Actually, we have about 3,000 users of Robot II Gen guitars, and coutless owners of Gen I. Can you specify please what are the percentage of them that have their guitars with problems at the present day? How many of them has received no fix or no answer by Gibson and/or Tronical yet? How many of them discuss and find solutions and tricks on other web spaces instead of the Gibson forum(almost all...)?

Please don't try to bash a product only by speculation. After all, there is plenty of "traditional" guitars out there...[/quote']

At last!!! [cool] A dark fire owner breaks the silence and tells them all how things really are.

[thumbup]

Of course I agree with the above comment, but if I didn't I'd still applaud matbard for posting it. [thumbup]

Back into the fire I go lol

Ok you have the latest stuff..I just watched a video of the Dark Fire..nope no pulling out the keys...good thing...

I'm just curious as to why most Gibson dealers here (Canada) want them out of their stores.....

Would be nice for Gibson to actually show dealers how to fix them...I wouldn't want to buy a guitar then have to send it to Gibson everytime it needed to repaired...

....if there is no bugs then technology is great...quote]

Uh have you looked at the computer you use?

more than a 30yr old technology and is riddled with bugs (pick any operating system.. anyone of them)…

got an iPhone yet or its big brother the maxi-pad.. opp's

Ok before this topic gets locked down....

My point of view in it's simplest form

If you want the new stuff, buy it

if you want the old stuff, buy it

Each to their own...if we all liked the samethings , the world would be a boring place.

Everyone to their own, but I prefer to tune my own guitar and try to make the most of the Les Pauls fantastic sound possibilities, within my playing style. Technology has it's place, I agree, but there is also so much more to go wrong in equipment with too much of it. [biggrin] I like the fact that the woods on a Les Paul can directly effect the sound produced, as with the pickups! This is purity at it's best IMHO. The rest is left up to the player. If you like lots of bells and whistles on a guitar, then these guitars will be a thrill for you. Like I said it is a very personal choice, but not one that inspires me personally.

Everytime that I read opinions against new things like the robot, chambered etc... I wonder what were the thoughts of the people in 1959 about the news Les Paul.

I'm not telling that the robots or chambered lp will be the LP 59 of the future, but... hey... try them and If you like them, and you can afford one, buy it. But if you don't like them get another guitar and enjoy that guitar.

It is hard to believe that in 1959 no one realise how good were those guitars. In fact the LP was discontinued until 1967 and the SG was created to replace them.

I tried two robot les pauls, one worked perfectly, but I didn't care for the automated tuning side of it, and the other had a fault with the bottom E machinehead! That put me off straightaway, as I work in Electronics every day and I have a good idea of what can potentially go wrong with electronic equipment. Nice LP hermes, what is it?

I think you're all missing the point. You can play the guitar just like a regular guitar. Let's make it clear, I can remove/replace the robot tuning heads and my guitar is the same as yours.

My Les Paul just happens to have the maple cap top, ebony fretboard, bound neck and headstock, custom color, and the same pickups as a lot of LP standards, customs and supreme's. Except, mine has locking strings, and I can tune it faster than you.

It is a great sounding and playing Les Paul FIRST and a robot SECOND.

BTW, if you're playing live and have too many drinks to remember to push the tuning head in after manually tuning, you are too drunk to tune it properly by yourself and you should have a robot to do the tuning for you...that's irony

Hi VBB,

Firstly, I wouldn't ever play my prized guitars whilst drunk. Is this your only argument for the ROBOT guitar? My instruments cost me alot of money and I respect them for their character and value. I can tune up on the fly, but only if I'm sober, which I always am, whilst performing. I am not interested in leaving my tuning to the guitar!! I PLAY the guitar, I make the guitar do what I want it to do. It will never control me, and I wouldn't let it do so. If an audience is paying to hear me play, I will play to the best of my ability, and soberly!! That is my philosophy. You may agree, you may not, but IMHO this technology is going way too far, I really do think that is the irony!!!

Hi,

I have always played acoustic guitar. I tried Fenders, hated their tone and thin sound! I tried Taylors and bought alot of acoustics! I love 'em. Then my birthday arrived in 2008. I first tried a Les Paul Standard at my local music store. FU...C..ING Hell what happened!! What is this Guitar, pure heaven, me, my style, everything came out. This is me!!!

My family of Taylors now number 8. The story will continue!!

Hi VBB' date='

Firstly, I wouldn't ever play my prized guitars whilst drunk. Is this your only argument for the ROBOT guitar? My instruments cost me alot of money and I respect them for their character and value. I can tune up on the fly, but only if I'm sober, which I always am, whilst performing. I am not interested in leaving my tuning to the guitar!! I PLAY the guitar, I make the guitar do what I want it to do. It will never control me, and I wouldn't let it do so. If an audience is paying to hear me play, I will play to the best of my ability, and soberly!! That is my philosophy. You may agree, you may not, but IMHO this technology is going way too far, I really do think that is the irony!!![/quote']

Um...NO, you misread my post. First you'll have to go back and read the whole thread. Someone blasted the robots because you might damage the tuning head if you forget to push em back in after manually tuning, and they made reference to having too many beers and forgeting.

I don't drink!

I didn't blast nothing..I was merely pointing it out for who do drink.....it would probably be me who'd forget lol...try not to take me too seriously...I'm a little bit of a jokester ....the world is far too serious sometimes....

You know, everytime someone (or some company/corporation) comes out with a radical new technology it's met with a lot of naysayers. Radio was supposed to be a fad. T.V. was supposed to be a fad. Records. Then 8tracks. Then tapes. Nobody thought CDs were gonna last. Not only did they last, a lot of these things have become commonplace, than replaced and/or obsolesced. MP3s, anyone?

There might be a day when a stock guitar has Robot technology....and you'll have to pay more for a "standard" guitar. (Like cars, maybe? Standard, and then automatic..)

But there was always the Laserdiscs, the HD Dvds, the Beta, the Polaroid...

We'll see what happens with the Robot... I just hope it stays the high-end for a few select guitars so we can buy any guitar we like without it, instead of it becoming so commonplace that only a select few guitars come without it...

I have a Robot Les Paul and I really like it. Never had a problem with it. I primarily bought it because the price was right to get a really nice playing real Gibson. The tuning is real convenient but I have been tuning for over 30 years.

Bottom line...no complaints. Not my top guitar, but a keeper none the less. I too lean toward the more traditional but the robot isn't replacing anything. its just a different twist.

Dave

Like dleth, I bought a Robot V because it the price was right (less than a regular V) and I figured worst case scenario I could put a set of manual tuners on it. Low and behold a year later I Just stum it and watch it tune itself and I play it. I have a hard time understanding what there is to hate about that. David

Archived