Gibson Brands Forums

Advice/Information on Busking?

Hey guys,

For a long time I've considered the possibility of busking (i.e. street performing) in my home town. It's currently legal in NYC, and I've lately been thinking about it as a way to perhaps become more comfortable with performing and being in front of people and generally overcoming my shyness, in addition to possibly picking up some income along the way.

Have any of you had experience with this sort of thing? I've found a few specific spots which I think would be ideal to set up in, and I've been developing a set list (which is about 45 minutes long and could be neatly split up into two sets of nearly-equal length) of covers which over time I could gradually replace with some of the original tunes I've been working on.

Here's the set list as it stands now (I'll admit that it's a little heavy on Bob Dylan and Tim Hardin):

- Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues - Bob Dylan

- I Am A Pilgrim - Traditional (Arr. Roger McGuinn)

- Don't Make Promises - Tim Hardin

- Mona - Bo Diddley (I'm not sure about this one)

- The Weight - The Band (Or this one)

- Just Like A Woman - Bob Dylan

- My Back Pages - Bob Dylan

- Lucky Man - ELP

- $1,000 Wedding - Gram Parsons

- If I Were A Carpenter - Tim Hardin

- How Long Blues - Leroy Carr

- Cowboy On The Run - Quicksilver Messenger Service

- Reason To Believe - Tim Hardin

- Nothing Was Delivered - Bob Dylan

So? Does anyone have any advice? Even if it's "Don't go busking, it's a waste of time," its still useful information. [blink]

Thanks for reading patiently. :)

How in the world did you end up hearing Tim Hardin at your age? <grin>

No insult intended, believe me.

Next thing you'll say is that you listened to Fred Neil's stuff and love covering Tommy Rush's stuff.

But as for busking... It doesn't happen here, at least not as done in Europe and urban areas elsewhere.

m

dude just go for it. the only way your gonna get over the stage freight is by just going out there and playing in front of a crowd, even if they're not paying attention. and if you make money doing it thats a plus...

my band and i traveled around for awhile just performing at small town skate parks just so we could get used to playing the crowd. we didnt make money but it definitely broke the fear and got our name out there.

it'll be alot easier for you cause you dont have to haul around an entire band.

Well, since you asked about Fred Neil...[biggrin]

His song "Everybody's Talkin'" was on the list for a while, but I had trouble making it work for my "style," so I scrapped it. I could pick it up some other time--even though it's hard to follow Harry Nilsson's interpretation, at least in the sense of fitting into our contemporary zeitgeist]/i]. I do like Fred Neil's stuff, though, definitely.

I suppose, if you really want to know, I should have no shame in admitting that my mother introduced me to Tim Hardin's music. I was taken by it immediately.

............Ha HA .......you don't need a song list or to be that good.........just get out and play.....and have a place for the money that is secure

once they throw it.....so no one can grab it easy and run off........most folks will only listen for about 2 to 3 minutes and throw a buck.........

.....just jam on it........

Well...I've decided that I'm going to give it a shot at least once thus month to see how it goes.

A few problems:

-I'm concerned that my arrangements might be a little bland. I'll have to come up with better ones before I take my act out onto the streets.

-I'm worried that I'll forget the words to the songs I'm singing. I'll have to learn them better before I go out and play.

-I have two options for an instrument to use: an Epiphone acoustic with a warped neck, no case and a good deal of fret buzz that I don't much care for, and a Guild classical guitar that sounds great, plays great, feels great, has a nice hard case, and unfortunately cannot be strapped on. The only advantage to the Epiphone, in fact, is that it has strap buttons. I'll have to figure out how to either a) play my Guild standing up without a strap, [biggrin] find a strap that can accommodate a classical guitar without drilling strap buttons in, or c) making holes in my guitar and adding strap buttons. Option a is probably just fine, although it will take a lot of work, the guitar isn't heavy and so it shouldn't be too hard. Option b might also work, as I found a few options online that range from $20-50, and require no modification to the guitar. I would never do option c. I don't want to drill holes in this old guitar, no matter how beat up it is already.

-I'm worried that, although I like the songs, they might seem inappropriate for someone my age and with my (lack of) life experience. My fear is that they'll come off as disingenuous and pretentious, because no matter how much I like the songs, they're not really "my" songs. Of course they all have meaning for me, sure, and I think that as long as I enjoy playing them I'll be alright, but it might be something to consider.

Your over thinking it Busking is a lot of fun and can be profitable but it's always great practice. Don't worry so much about play list and playing what people would expect someone your age etc. Play what you enjoy and can play well your list above is diverse and should get you a good start but the nice thing about busking is you can change it up and not feel guilty that your not giving someone the expected performance if they don't like something hell they can walk away.

Don't get to esoteric though play some popular songs that are modern also so people can hear something they like and will walk over.

Location is pretty critical as people do move on so you need some volume to make any money I still busk every once in a while at art shows or events that have people everywhere and that they want performers and I have never had anyone try to grab money or be anything other than very polite and supportive (then again I am six-four and 240 so you'd have to be brave or stupid)

The guitar choice is up to you but don't be so worried that you take something bad and you sound like crap. I played at a big art show for two day's in March I used a Godin Fifth avenue and other than wishing I had a little more volume it worked great for a 600 guitar.

I've been busking since I was 16, not because I needed the money, it was just for the kicks, for fun. BTW, a very good learning school on how to perform but also on how to handle/adapt to people's behaviour.

One thing that I learned from playing out there on the streets was that it's all about your public and not about you. If you want to be succesful as a busker you need to entertain your public with songs that the majority of your listeners could recognize, or could step into without too much of efforts. Combine your setlist with evergreens, songs with tasty rhythms, etc...

I would encourage everyone to go out there and play in the streets, and you'll get some marvellous experiences for free in return! Go XDemonknight!

I used to see it all the time in Nashville on daytrips, along Broadway, so several years ago decided to do it a few times just to say I had done it.

I haven't had stage fright since I was 12 in Clearwater Fla., but really enjoyed it. I did all original music and a lot of instrumental fast jamming.

Didn't make enough to pay gas (I'm 2+ hours one way to Nashville) and beer at Tootsies, but had a good time.

I bought a gig bag with backstraps and used my Gibson J45.

Do it.

As for which guitar...the one you like playing will boost your confidence, if you need to get the bolts put on before you start so you can strap it, do it.

As for advice, as stated before, mix it up with popular fun.

Look out and see, "are there a bunch of late 20s, early 30s? Maybe a little Blind Melon No Rain." Can never go wrong with Georgia Satellites' Keep your hands to yourself. Gotta be flexible.

Good luck!

Neil's Blue On My Ceiling might work much, much better.

If you don't have access, holler and I'll get you one of me working on a solo version of it. Neil used a 12-string mostly, as I recall from the olden days. <chortle>

Your Mom had good taste in music.

I used to do some Hardin stuff open tuning. Fun stuff to do. Ask her about Tommy Rush.

There's a "strap" for classics that works fairly well, but you've gotta be careful. It's kinda like a saxophone strap, goes under the guitar and into the sound hole - which is why you've gotta be careful.

Have fun and break a leg!

m

Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues - Bob Dylan

- I Am A Pilgrim - Traditional (Arr. Roger McGuinn)

- Don't Make Promises - Tim Hardin

- Mona - Bo Diddley (I'm not sure about this one)

- The Weight - The Band (Or this one)

- Just Like A Woman - Bob Dylan

- My Back Pages - Bob Dylan

- Lucky Man - ELP

- $1,000 Wedding - Gram Parsons

- If I Were A Carpenter - Tim Hardin

- How Long Blues - Leroy Carr

- Cowboy On The Run - Quicksilver Messenger Service

- Reason To Believe - Tim Hardin

- Nothing Was Delivered - Bob Dylan

That is a great play list, I haven't heard Cowboy on the Run in years, made me run to you tube to fix that.

Hey everyone, thanks for the advice and everything! I'm going to do it. I decided that I'll just go out with what I know and "wing it." The idea isn't to be great before you play out--the idea is that playing out helps you learn what you need to improve.

Jaxson, thanks. I like the playlist too. :-

I did it in the late 60's to the early 70's Washington SQ.Park , Cental park. just watch your stuff. i had 1 time when a bunch of guys wanted to take my guitar. I offered to smash into pieces .... they left thinking i was crazy. Maybe lol !!!! but i did make a few bucks. go for it. In 2 minutes you'll be fine.

The last thing you want to use is a good guitar in nyc. any old hunk-o-junk will do. everybody's advice here is spot on. you can do it.

I did it in the late 60's to the early 70's Washington SQ.Park ' date=' Cental park. just watch your stuff. i had 1 time when a bunch of guys wanted to take my guitar. I offered to smash into pieces .... they left thinking i was crazy. Maybe lol !!!! but i did make a few bucks. go for it. In 2 minutes you'll be fine.

The last thing you want to use is a good guitar in nyc. any old hunk-o-junk will do. everybody's advice here is spot on. you can do it. [/quote']

This gets me thinking I should head on out to a thrift store or something and go searching for a cheap acoustic to bring around--something that I'll spend very little on and will come with little in the way of sentimental value or personal attachment.

Go for it. I was considering doing that for a little while, but it's illegal by me, I would have to get a permit, go through all of this hoo hah, rather just play guitar with some people, go to parties, stuff like that, but I gotta get an acoustic [cool]

One piece of advice: learn (current) pop songs. It will get people to stop, and then go into the other stuff, they might like it, but use a hook. We were playing at lunch periods at my school, and we played heavier music, and almost got booed off the stage. Now let me take you back a couple of days: I was looking up a song on the internet, and a guy tabbed out Party in the USA at the end of the song, for whatever reason. The intro sounds kinda cool, and I played that, and everyone loved it. Started singing along, etc. I hate the song, but it worked. Something I keep at the back of my mind.

Hope all goes well, and keep us informed

A quote from Merle Haggard in this months American Songwriter magazine.

The Hag on stage fright:"I don't worry about going onstage anymore, I finally realized that the stage fright is the fear of

people paying attention to you........and they don't do that. They're too wrapped up in their own f***ing s***. So go out and have fun and be yourself, because you can't be anything else, anyway."

A real gem....

Just Play.

[cool]

I agree with sjl200... remember no one is going where every you are to see you. People are going to pass by you because you planted yourself in a position where they can't avoid you. So, make it a good experience. I would get a few more recognizable tunes in your list. If I'm walking by a street performer who is playing Luck Man by ELP I will stop and listen and if I really liked it I'll leave something. If I'm walking by and you're playing something that only a small percentage of people might know, who probably wont ever be walking by, I'll just keep on going.

On the other hand, if I'm walking by and I hear an incredible voice or amazing playing i'll stop and listen as well... So if you have and amazing voice or your playing is jaw dropping you can play whatever you like. Other than that I'd add a few more standards.... Just my 2 cents...

Hey guys' date='

... It's currently legal in NYC, and I've lately been... [/quote']

Just be aware that there is 'Legal' and then there is 'Legal'. Some municipalities allow / tolerate busking. Some, like New Orleans require a license. I've heard that N.O. licenses are quite cheap, but specify the location, day of the week and time slots. So, just because you see buskers busking, doesn't mean you can just show up. Violation of someone else's space / time slot can get you ticketed or El Kabonged by the owner of that slot.

Can't strap a classical? Check out this guy.

He's the only one I've ever seen do this. There are several pictures that reveal this to be simply a single loop of belting that holds the guitar against his body.

http://www.classicalgas.com/images/photo_gallery/images/mw_otrf99.jpg

http://www.classicalgas.com/images/photo_gallery/images/mw_caas03edgarcruz.jpg

It must work, he's been using this set-up a long, long time.

http://www.classicalgas.com/images/photo_gallery/images/mw_harmony4x.jpg

You can see bigger versions of these pictures on his website:

http://www.classicalgas.com/images/photo_gallery/cg_gallery.html

Don't worry about it, Tommy. I've done my research.

Dave--I'm counting on having pretty much everybody pass by regardless of what I play, so I figure that, at least for my first time out, I might as well try playing what I enjoy. I have a lot of trouble finding recent popular tunes that I really enjoy, but if it comes to me absolutely needing to play them, I'll buckle down and learn a few of them, and I'll play them no matter how silly I feel. I just don't want to go ahead and "sell out" (HA-HA!) before I give "my" stuff a try. Busking is different than gigging in a bar or a club--they're not paying to see you, and often times they'd probably pay not to see you. [biggrin]

I just don't get this whole mentality of busking with popular tunes. I mean, I do, but I don't think it's the only way of doing things, or even the best way. I know that if I saw someone on the street playing "Party in the USA," I'd walk on the other side of the street. And if I'm not enjoying the material I'm playing, I think folks will know.

I'm just gonna go for it, as soon as I can.

Good busking tunes usually are of the "Oh Yeah.! :-k[biggrin] I remember that one" genre.

So currently popular tunes are not busking material.

Don't worry about forgetting the words. People happening by don't know them either. If you draw a blank, just vamp until the verse comes to you or play an instrumental break. It's all part of the process and is assumed, by the listening public, as artistic license of artistic expression. You just need a good poker face and the ability to segue into the next tune whether you've finished the first one or not.

Archived