Gibson Brands Forums

New ToneRite

Gibson101

Just received my ToneRite from UPS. My initial thought was that it came in a real nice box. [blink] Not saying that means jack but it looks cool. This new version has an improved control and seems to be put together pretty well. It feels like it will be gentle on the guitar, no harsh vibrating going on. I put it on my J-185 and have it hanging from a Hercules wall hanger and the whole guitar is vibrating, lower bout is really getting it's groove on as well as the back.

I'll post some pics this weekend.

Now to leave it for a week and see what happens. I've decided to go with a full 7 day initial treatment, so Friday night I'll pour me a nice drink and see what I've got. The strings on it now could use a change so I'll do that as well. I'm not looking to be the scientific researcher here, so I think a string change will be ok. I know the guitar well and I'm hoping it loosens up a bit. Really it's my only guitar that every time I play it I feel like it's still tight, so it should be a good match up for the TR.

Just took my J-200 off the machine tonight (4 days). Little change. I need to change the strings, cause I know the ToneRite tends to kill them, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference. I'm disappointed. The thing positively affected my J-45.

Everyone is ToneRiting!

I feel left out...I am going to pick one up asap, but I'm skint at the moment. When I level out my cashflow (as in get more flowing in than out!) a tonerite and an Epi IB '64 Texan are both on my shopping list.

Keep that feedback coming!!

I'm actually surprised how much ToneRiting is going on here. I remember when a guy brought it up months ago he was hammered!! Hopefully OWF will keep all his vibrator jokes away from this thread (we all get it that you are not interested) and we can have a real solid discussion on the TR's merits. You guys have always been a great forum so I am looking forward to it. I hope Nodehopper got his last night and will be chiming in soon.

Will a ToneRite be going on the great MisterGibs? Exciting. I'm thinking it'll eventually find it's way to my SJ-300 but the J-185 and J-45 RW need the love much more.

Yes.... got my Tonerite yesterday and it is on my CJ-165 which is hanging from a Hercules wall hanger and has been "Purrrrr-ing" away since last night. I have two other guitars that are just open and resonant so, as Gibson101 says about his J-185 ...my CJ just feels a little tight. I love the sound of my CJ...it certainly isn't a dog at all, but if this TR can give it just a little more of an open sound ..it will become a "KILLER Tone Monster Acoustic Guitar.

As you say in your post and the reason I went ahead and bought one is the fact that all the first posts about the TR were just totally negative. Then as people actually started using the TR there was a huge shift in favor. Especially from some very respected Luthiers and some of the most fervent detractors. I decided for this big shift in opinion...there must really be something to this TR product.

Yes the TR box is very nice and I will definitely use it to store the thing......as if that matters....I would have liked a plastic bag if it would have saved me $20 ....but Oh Well....

As far as describing the "vibe" this thing emits....if anyone has an aquarium ...this thing sounds and vibrates exactly like an air pump for an aquarium....LOL!!!

Note to Gibson101---- I think you have OWF all wrong. He is actually very interested in the whole TR product and everyone's reports of our results. Those posts are just his Sense of Humor....yes he has one of those kinda senses of humor. Many times I think his goal with jokes is not to make you laugh but to make you groan and want to hit him... LOL !!! :D [biggrin]

I think you guys have me all wrong about this. I am interested in the tonerite and all your reviews and reports. It's just that sometimes new technology sometimes gives me the shakes, and I don't think you are getting my vibe. I'm not trying to start an angry buzz in this post. The thought of someone getting angry, makes me shudder.I would love to hear you play your "tonerited" guitars so I could humm along.

I think you guys have me all wrong about this. I am interested in the tonerite and all your reviews and reports. It's just that sometimes new technology sometimes gives me the shakes' date=' and I don't think you are getting my vibe. I'm not trying to start an angry buzz in this post. The thought of someone getting angry, makes me shudder.I would love to hear you play your "tonerited" guitars so I could humm along. [/quote']

See...my point exactly....don't you just wanna punch him for the bad puns !!!

Just took my J-200 off the machine tonight (4 days). Little change. I need to change the strings' date=' cause I know the ToneRite tends to kill them, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference. I'm disappointed. The thing positively affected my J-45.[/quote']

I borrowed one of these, and I think that it takes a lot longer than three or four days to get the "goody" out of the thing. I was advised to use it at full power, at least 3-5 times, at first ... all while shifting it around, and feeling the head stock and upper bout of the guitar to find the best spot near the bridge that promotes the most vibration going through the guitar. Then after all of that, secondly, to leave it on the guitar, 2-3 nights at week, for about a month at the lowest power setting, to "sweeten" the tone.

It seemed like a lot of trouble, but I followed the instructions provided by the owner.

After the high power "sessions" (for lack of a better word), I didn't notice much change in my guitar, except for the strings being dead. Actually, I was kinda concerned, as I started hearing weird buzzes and overtones when playing, which made me wonder if something was wrong!

Then I did the low power thing at night, but since it was borrowed, I did it for five nights a week for a month. But to be honest, I still didn't hear much change in the sound. I figured it had all been a waste of time, as the guitar is about six years old, and pretty much played in.

But about a week after returning it, I picked up the guitar and got a real surprise. It was different, so different that I was a little freaked out. The guitar had previously been a little cold-natured ... a nice bright, ringing sound, with good projection. But all of a sudden, the middle and bottom registers of the guitar seemed to kick in, and I was hearing all of this great warmth and growl in the chords, with a solid woody bass.

It took some getting used to, as it has been that way ever since. The sound was so altered, I wasn't sure if I liked it or not, and nearly put the guitar up for sale. But it's been growing on me, and I've decided to keep it around, although I don't use it the same way anymore; it not only sounds different, but the action seems to be more flexible too, (which makes no sense to me at all) (???) so it's been relegated more and more for playing fingerstyle tunes, instead of for regular strumming.

That's about all I can say on the subject. The how and why of it, I'll leave to better heads than mine.

Flinx

Had the TR on my CJ-165 for 24 hours and just because I couldn't wait ...I had to strum a few chords and play a couple quick songs on it at the 24 hour mark and in "my opinion" I noticed that it does sound a bit louder, more resonant and "Open".

It will be interesting to see what it sounds like after 48 and 72 hours. I did the first 24 ion the high setting and now gonna go to the medium to "vibe" slightly different frequencies.

In a general sense I think this device is going to effect each individual guitar in a somewhat unique way ....I think my CJ has had a "new guitar sound" and this has broken it in a little.

OWF thanks for clearing that up it really resonated with me, sorry for being all shaken up.

NH glad to see you are getting results already. I'm going to leave mine on for a week. I'll switch to a lower setting on Wednesday of next week and be looking to take her for a spin on Friday.

So a Tonerite helps to "open up" a guitars woods by doing what? Couldn't one just put their guitar on a stand in front of a speaker that is playing ones favorite groups of acoustic music and get the wood to open up that way? At least then YOU get the bonus of listing to albums you may not have heard in a while, all the while getting the guitar to open up. Or better yet-play the heck out of the guitar for 6 months or so and it opens to your style of music.

I mean, seriously-what am I missing here?

Everyone is ToneRiting!

I feel left out...I am going to pick one up asap' date=' but I'm skint at the moment. When I level out my cashflow (as in get more flowing in than out!) a tonerite and an Epi IB '64 Texan are both on my shopping list.

Keep that feedback coming!![/quote']

Hey Jinder, maybe a few of us UK members could co-fund a unit and share it between us? I'm interested in trying ToneRite on my SJ......

:-

That's 2 of us then as follows:-

AlbertJohn

Spotondrums

I recon we need just 4 people on this to make it work, any more will be un-managable. The cost looks like it will be around $ 200 (including European power source & postage) so that works out at about US$ 50 ( UK£ 34.67) each...

Anybody else interested in the idea?

:-

So a Tonerite helps to "open up" a guitars woods by doing what? Couldn't one just put their guitar on a stand in front of a speaker that is playing ones favorite groups of acoustic music and get the wood to open up that way? At least then YOU get the bonus of listing to albums you may not have heard in a while' date=' all the while getting the guitar to open up. Or better yet-play the heck out of the guitar for 6 months or so and it opens to your style of music.

I mean, seriously-what am I missing here?[/quote']

Not to be argumentative, but I've pretty much had my fill of people who have never used a ToneRite (and will probably never use one) telling me that A) I could get the same effect by sticking my guitar in front of a speaker and [confused] I should just play my guitar. Give it a rest.

First of all, I play my guitars. Trust me. I had a gig last night and have another one next Saturday. I bring a guitar into work every single day and play on my lunch hour, in addition to strumming in the evening. So my guitars get played. I guess somewhere out there, there are people who think a bunch of us ToneRite owners are dolts who don't know that playing will "open up" a guitar. This just in: We know that already.

But I'm blessed to have three nice acoustics. So when I'm playing one, I'm not playing the other two. As a result, no one guitar is going to get as much playing time as the guitar owned by someone who has one guitar.

Secondly, I've stuck guitars in front of stereo speakers before and trust me, the ToneRite is something completely different. It is more focused yet more comprehensive. The entire guitar vibrates as a single unit instead of just the soundbox. Having tried both the guitar-in-front-of-the-speaker old wives tale and the ToneRite, I will attest there is no comparison. The ToneRite did so much more.

Plus, I gave up the hippie lifestyle a long time ago. I think the biggest set of speakers I currently own are the ones in my car.

If you don't see yourself getting or trying a ToneRite, that's fine. Just don't disparage those of us who have tried it and have found that it improved our guitars.

Well...after 48 hours with the Tonerite on it....my CJ went from a very nice guitar to a fantastic guitar. I have to agree that there is something to the Tonerite. So many say that you have to use it and see/feel what it does in order to understand it. It is so true that until you plug it in and use it on a guitar and feel the way it massages the instrument....you won't understand.

Maybe there is some sort of hard science that would explain and prove everything to the doubters, but why worry about it. It is an inexpensive product that many have now tried and many have now said it has improved their guitars. How many other products simply use "Testimonials" to prove thier product is effective?

Show me the scientific evidence that Gibson Guitars sound good !! Why should I believe it simply because a bunch of people and the Gibson Corporation say that Gibson guitars sound good?

I honestly don't think it will work on every guitar. I think some may benefit a lot more than others and there will probably be some that don't improve at all. So I have 4 guitars to try it on ....if three out of the four improve...I won't point at the one that didn't and call the TR a fraud !!

Not to be argumentative' date=' but I've pretty much had my fill of people who have never used a ToneRite (and will probably never use one) telling me that A) I could get the same effect by sticking my guitar in front of a speaker and [biggrin I should just play my guitar. Give it a rest.

If you don't see yourself getting or trying a ToneRite, that's fine. Just don't disparage those of us who have tried it and have found that it improved our guitars.

well I was not aware that I WAS disparaging those who are trying this technology. That is why I asked "What am I missing"? See I am reasonable new to guitars. My ex played for 40 years and never had anything but playing guitars to "open them up". I have played many other acoustic instruments for years and I again, have never had problems with "tightness" other than when the instrument is new. But a few months of playing and it opens up. And it did not seem to matter to my instruments if they sat for a week or two without being played. Now grant it, I only play mandolin, banjo, autoharp and dulcimer. Not one of them has ever gone back to "being tight".

no, I am not putting down new technologies or the folks who use them. I am an inquiring mind. My instruments when not being played sit in the living room on hangers and I usually have the stereo on when I am around the house doing chores. Perhaps it has helped, perhaps not. I do not know.

My apologies if I offended by inquiring "What am I missing"?

Discussions of the ToneRite are soon going be about as welcome in forums as playing the intro to "Sweet Child of Mine" in a music store.

Most of my guitars are all so flippin' old that thing would probably just give 'em the heebie jeebies.

But that little box has gotta beat laying your guitar out in front of the drummer.

Discussions of the ToneRite are soon going be about as welcome in forums as playing the intro to "Sweet Child of Mine" in a music store.

Most of my guitars are all so flippin' old that thing would probably just give 'em the heebie jeebies.

But that little box has gotta beat laying your guitar out in front of the drummer.

It's simple to me, if your the kind of person who thinks putting your guitar in front of your speakers during your favorite song is a good idea then the ToneRite probably appeals to you. It did to me.

It's simple to me' date=' if your the kind of person who thinks putting your guitar in front of your speakers during your favorite song is a good idea then the ToneRite probably appeals to you. It did to me.[/quote']

It takes a guitar a little while to learn it is no longer a tree. Maybe the ToneRite just gooses the guitar to figure it out a little quicker.

Archived