Gibson Brands Forums

WINE

jimmiJAMM

I consider myself a wine snob, and by that, I don't mean that I drink expensive wine; rather, I look for good wines for inexpensive prices.

I do have some expensive wines. Right now, I think the Paso Robles region in CA is putting out the wines I enjoy most. Booker and Justin are two of my favorite, if expensive, wineries. Those are wines I save for special occasions. I also have a couple of cabs and zins from Sonoma and Napa that I am saving.

I think French wine is overrated and overpriced.

I don't believe in spending more than about $10 on a wine for everyday drinking. For that, I like an Aussie shiraz the best; for whites, I love a New Zealand sauvignon blanc. People rip on Yellow Tail, but their Cabernet is cheap and fruity.

A guy at Far Niente winery - one of the most prestigious wineries in Napa - told me this: When it comes to wine, there are two kinds: wines you like and wines you don't. Cheers to that.

Finally, don't rip on wines that have a twist top, as more and more top-notch producers move to them. And also, wine in a box is often very good and a good value. It got a bad rap in the '80s when cheap producers (Almaden) took the European model of boxing good everyday wine and putting crap into them.

You guys are really showing your feminine side in this thread....Id show you mine if I had one. lol!

*wink*

Hahaha...i was thinking the same. Hmmm lotsa guys admitting they like Whit Zin? Surely they must be joking. Where I come from White Zin is called "Cheerleader Juice." I am not biased, I genuinely hate it.

zinfadel... of the red variety' date=' not the white. particularly "seven deadly zins". very woodsy... like roasting grapes over a campfire[/quote']

Amen to that. Here in central California wer have very nice Zins from "old vine" vineyards, grapes planted 30 years ago or older.

We have a new favorite winery!

Vinchio-Vaglio Serra, and our current favorites are their Valmasca Moscato D'Asti (white) and their Nivasco Piemonte Brachetto (red).

And yes, I like White Zen. I like common table wines like Gallo and Mateus Rose', too. I also like Boone's Farm and the old T.J. Swan (Steppin' Out!) varieties.

Mmmm... and a good Honey Mead, too. (Mead is also delicious!)

Oh, and... because the subject has been touched on... anyone who feels they are more manly than I am due to their choice in beverage is welcome to armour up and come show me the measure of your worth. [crying]

/chuckle

[biggrin]

We have a new favorite winery!

Vinchio-Vaglio Serra' date=' and our current favorites are their [b']Valmasca Moscato D'Asti (white)[/b] and their Nivasco Piemonte Brachetto (red).;)

Love that Moscato D'Asti! Good stuff!

My favorite are Silver Oak Cab from Napa, me and Mrs Bo go out for the release every few years, lots of fun.

I also remember a nice Cab from Chile South America called Casa El Diablo. They sell one with the same name here in the states but it's not the same wine.

Here's a list of some great wines from California's Central Coast.

If you see any of them, try them.

Talley Pinot Noir

Dancing Goat Pinot Noir

Cambria Pinot Noir

Qupe Chardonnay and Pinot Noir

Deerfield Pinot Noir and Chardonnay

Alban Syrah (Probably one of the best you will ever taste)

Rancho Sisquoc Cabernet, Pinot and Syrah are all regularly passed around the dinner table in my household

Byron Winery Syrah, Pinot and Chardonnay

Zaca Mesa Syrah

Archived