Gibson Brands Forums

Engagement Ring stories

heymisterk

Hi All,

Yes, I will be shopping for one soon. It seems that everyone I've talked to "Knows someone in the business" when they bought one...except me.

So I am curious...Where did you buy/get/inherit yours from? Did you feel like you got a good deal (such as it is) or was it a nightmare of an experience?

Thanks!

Jeff

I knew someone in the business [biggrin] , ...truly, and it was a nice deal! We bought different jewelry afterwards from the same lady.

There's a huge market out there, so you'd better compare prices and quality, so why not ask your friends who have already profit, to use their contacts?

The FIRST time I went to a diamond "broker" that sold loose diamonds. You picked out the diamond you wanted, and they basically put it in a setting (of your choice) for free. It turned out to be about half the price of a jewelry store.

The SECOND time I took a family heirloom diamond and had a jeweler friend of mine do a custom setting and bands.

The THIRD time....just kidding, I got it right the second time. [biggrin]

Congrats Jeff..

Luckily I had a cousin who worked in the "Diamond District" in NYC. Before my wife and I got married (32 years ago) we went to the place where my cousin worked got a nice deal on diamond earings (you gotta' know my wife for an explanation) instead of an engagement ring. The diamond guys at the place took quite a bit of time explaining and showing everything about types of stones, cuts, qualities, selecting the stones and settings.

My cousin then took us to a jewelry company in the exchange to get our wedding rings (nice rings, good deal).

A couple of years later my wife tells me "you never bought me a diamond ring[angry]". So back to the city we went. We wandered around the exchange for hours, my wife decided on getting an antique ring. My cousin sent us (and my bonus check) to an antique jewelry co. My wife picked a ring that was about 100 years old, pink gold and good quality stone. Got a price from the owner, did a little haggle, got a slightly better price, promised to pay in cash- price got a little better, then my cousin came over, owner said hi Sue, got a much better price. Had enough left of the bonus to buy dinner for the 3 of us.

Wish my cousin still worked there or at least still had her contacts, my oldest son's getting married soon. He paid an arm and a leg for everything.

You could try a goldsmith. I got mine from a friend's friend who is a goldsmith. Think of them as mechanics who also fix cars after hours at home. They have good relationships with jewelers and can get diamonds at good prices. I got near my 50% off my diamond.

I truly hope the two of you will be in the 52% that live happily ever after.

But...

Take some advice from someone who was a member of that other 48%: Get a simple prenup that says you keep all the music gear and she keeps all the Longaberger baskets (or whatever she collects), regardless of whether you brought them into the union or got them after you tied the knot.

John

I truly hope the two of you will be in the 52% that live happily ever after.

But...

Take some advice from someone who was a member of that other 48%: Get a simple prenup that says you keep all the music gear and she keeps all the Longaberger baskets (or whatever she collects)' date=' regardless of whether you brought them into the union or got them after you tied the knot.

John[/quote']

Things like that exsit?

How do you get one of those? [confused]

Diamonds are all about clarity and color so depends on your lady and how picky she is. When I got married (28 years ago) I was in school working on finishing a MBA at a major university so money was pretty tight we bought a stone of high quality and about 1/2 carat size and had it put in a custom setting I made I had already been in one failed relationship and my family was big on divorce so I told my wife that for each five years of marriage I would buy a diamond and that I would go a carat larger after each five years. So far we've done it but now I'm getting worried were almost at 30 years and I owe her six carats and she's looking at large stone rings so I'm getting worried she told me a couple months ago thatshe doesn't really want to go over 30k for the ring so she's having trouble finding what she really wants [crying]

Moral to the story - be careful what you promise at the alter when your young and in love who knows even though more than 50% of all divorces end in marriage you might be in that minority and have found your true soul mate that you'll spend forever with and it can get expensive.

---

The diamond story is true but I'm not really worried my wife is a VP at a large company and can buy whatever the hell she want's without any help from me but it is amazing to look at diamonds pretty darn expensive for something you can't even tune or play music on but she loves her jewelry and it means a lot to her.

I did know someone in the business... my dad's best friend, dad of one of my best friends... and he gave me a great deal. Given my financial situation I wanted a 1/2 carat, and he talked me into getting a 0.49 carat diamond - he said the pricing took a huge jump on that 0.10 carats.

Even so, I sold my only guitar (an inexpensive Johnson acoustic) at the time and my laptop in order to afford the ring. She was (and is) worth it. [cool]

I just checked back at the jewelry store here until I found one that fit the style of my fiancee and it also happened to be on sale. I still spent a fair amount on it, but the story will be around how you gave it to her moreso than how/where you bought it. The ring is just a promisary note to not run away [cool]. Be strong, and shop around, you never know where you'll find it.

Good luck.

We're going on 30 years - and diamonds still ain't a part of the picture.

I don't have a shiny LP' date=' either, so go figure.[/quote']

/chuckle

Funny you'd pick those two....

Our 20th anniversary gifts to each other:

TheOneRing.jpg

100_0552.jpg

The 3 rings of marriage.

The engagement ring

The wedding ring

The suffering!

They are not worth it - wimmins - any of them.

Take it from someone with experience.

Bust a windscreen in a car park with a brick - one of the old shatter type and select a nice shiny uniform piece a glass - get that mounted in a ring - she will never know the difference and you'll be up a ton of $ when she's bangin her boss at work - flat on her back for $19 an hour, after 25 years of wedded bliss.

They are all just whores when it comes down to it.

Mine has more diamonds than Debeers, and more chins than the chinese phone book, and now I regret buyin her every single one of them diamonds.

Don't do it man - someone has to say it like it is.

Cheers

Archived