Gibson Brands Forums

A basic guitar question I don't know

heymisterk

Yup. Bonfire has it correct. Next time you are in your local authorized Gibson dealer take a look at the back of an SG or LP. On some you'll notice a wood grain shift indicating two pieces of wood were used for the body instead of a single piece.

one piece of wood' date=' not multiple pieces glued together. [/quote']

Just so I understand...the neck, though, is still glued in (or bolted on, obviously), right? I mean, no guitar body AND (other than fret board) neck is carved from one piece of wood...

The only Gibson that comes to mind where the body and neck are one piece of wood is the Firebird...but then the body has two piece of wood glued to either side of it. I know nobody can prove that single-piece bodies sound any different than multi-piece bodies but personally, I think it's a shame that Gibson's using multi-piece bodies on their higher-end guitars. A Les Paul Standard and Traditional, ALL Les Paul Standards and Traditionals, should only have single-piece bodies for the price they're charging.

It's weird, I sanded my '61 Melody Maker down to the mahogany around 1980 and had it clear coated with poly because I was working in a body shop, and it's a one piece body.

I'll post pics someday, although the way I take pictures it won't proove anything......

[biggrin]

I got lucky with my '98 LP Special. It's a one piece. None of my other guitars have one piece bodies. I can't really tell any difference in the sound, but it does look better.

118_4X6.jpg

I know this is a bit different, but I have an Alvarez-Yairi acoustic from 1991 that has laminate back and sides, but it is absolutely the best built guitar I have ever owned, and sounds just as good as any similarly shaped Martin, Taylor, etc.

Just so I understand...the neck' date=' though, is still glued in (or bolted on, obviously), right? I mean, no guitar body AND (other than fret board) neck is carved from one piece of wood...[/quote']

The 'body' is everything exclusive of the neck. Flat topped solid bodies can be made from one single slab of wood or several slabs glued together side-by-side.

One thing about thick slabs of wood, they tend to want to warp. Solid bodies can be made of two or three slabs stacked and glued on top of each other. This is laminated.

Arch-top solid bodies, like some Les Pauls, can be either solid or capped. 'Capped' as in a flat slab with a carved arched top glued on top.

This SG -Zoot Suit is lamenated from back of the body to the front and is an extreme example of a laminated body. Most laminated bodies are made of 2 or 3 thickness.

44caa865-b5c8-4c89-9517-0eda0bc4a860.jpg

This effect is accomplished by lamenating differently color stained woods, then carving out the shape revealing the colors in gradations. If you are familiar with reading topographic maps you can see where the high areas are in relation to the low areas.

There is a good chance that a book matched, flamed or quilted Les Paul, is a cap over a solid piece. Figured wood is highly sought after and to commit that much beautiful wood to a 2" thick (from back to top of arch) is not an efficient use of this wood.

ec525756-757c-4d87-81b5-1b222fbf1299.jpg

On solid or multi parted bodies, necks can be bolted on or glued onto the body.

Some have a through neck. This means the neck is carved out of one piece from about the nut to the bottom strap button. All one solid piece about the width of the neck. 'Wings' are glued on either side to finish out the shape of the neck.

This Firebird has a through neck with wings easily discernible.

e2e10372-9720-49de-ab7e-19e3a1f87d89.jpg

A solid carved from one piece guitar, headstock to strap button, wings and all are a HUGE waste of material. Some would say they are less stable and susceptible to warping. If you can find one, it is probably custom made and EXPENSIVE.

Archived