Gibson Brands Forums

First Gibson, First Tube Amp

jmoore5000

Hey guys,

I just joined the forum yesterday am I enjoy reading a lots of the posts here. Anyway... After playing for about 3 years I told my guitar teacher (who plays two very nice Gibson customs) I was ready to take the plunge. Buying a Gibson and a nice tube amp that is. He suggested investing in a custom or a traditional standard plus.

As far as guitars go I'm thinking a traditional plus, possibly Iced Tea finish maybe cherry sunburst. I've made it that far. What do you think?

Now amps.. I want a tube amp combo nothing huge possibly, 1 X 12 or 2 X 12. I've been trying to do some homework on Fender, Marshall, and Mesa Boogie. I also know that Peavey, Orange, Krank and Carvin make some killer tube amps. Any thoughts. Other brands that might be good? P.S. I play classic rock. I hope that helps.

Welcome!

First off youd have to try out a few Gibbys yourself to make a decision. Id go with a historic, but thats me! lol

As far as amps go, the ones you have mentioned are great choices. The only one id question would be the Krank.

I tried one out a few years back..If youre into Metal, or Thrash maybe...but to my ears it was a lot of sizzle but very little steak.

Take your time and do the legwork.

As deepblue said, you really have to try out some different model Gibsons (presumably, you're looking at Les Pauls) and even different variations of the models themselves. If you're going to plonk down the cash for a Gibson, you want to get the one that feels best to YOU... and they're all a bit different, even if the same model built right after each other.

As for tube amps, it really depends on where you're going to be using the amp. A watt tube amp is plenty loud for home use and there are tons of offerings in the 5-15 watt range. If playing with some others in a garage, you might want to look at 15-30 watts; more powerful than that comes down to playing large rooms and/or a matter of taste. Like the guitar, I recommend trying out a mess of different amps in your price and power range as "classic rock" is a pretty broad spectrum of sounds.

I know this isn't a very helpful message for helping you narrow down your choices but, really, gear is such a personal choice that it's difficult to give recommendations to anyone outside of whether it's decent quality or good bang for the buck or not.

Read this to understand the differences about Les Pauls.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/50210-gibson-les-paul-101-a.html

I personally don't like Iced Tea finishes on Gibson USA guitars because of the way they spray the outer burst. Iced Tea on historic reissues looks amazing.

If you're just going to play at home, alone, get a small (tube) amp. 5 watts is plenty loud.

Hey, what about Honeyburst? [biggrin]

IMG_3035.jpg

If it helps, I played guitars for around 18 months before buying mine. Gibson is just like every other manufacturer in that respect... there's a lot of variance in playbility, feel and tone even amongst like models. Go play them. Play them all and keep playing them until you find "the one". I PROMISE, if you do this, you will be completely happy and satisfied going forward. I was always a Fender guy, but you can have my LP when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers....

Oh, and everyone knows a Desert Burst with no pick guard has the best tone.... [biggrin]

100_0549-1.jpg

Thanks guys, I agree I'm going to have to try some gibsons out before I buy (I'm not big on buying sight unseen). I agree with what has been said about low wattage tube amps, my buddy has a 01 standard and a fender twin reverb and it is plenty loud. Thanks for the advice and to all who posted nice eye candy. I'm not the jealous type but man, I wish I had those. Oh well in due time.

All I'm gonna say is that as far as I'm concerned, for "classic" anything, the Deluxe Reverb may be among the best ever. It's plenty loud, plenty smooth, plenty of options except for a decent "line out" (yeah, I looked into it - which is why I now see why folks talk about miking a tube amp cuz it's way touchy using an old "external speaker" plug.)

I'll admit I'd prefer a 335 or an SG to a Paul. In fact, the ideal "feels good to play" style for me is a 175, which is a whole lot more bucks. But it depends on what your hands and body feel most comfortable playing.

Welcome to the oddball bunch... <grin>

m

Thanks guys' date=' I agree I'm going to have to try some gibsons out before I buy (I'm not big on buying sight unseen). [b']I agree with what has been said about low wattage tube amps, my buddy has a 01 standard and a fender twin reverb and it is plenty loud. [/b]Thanks for the advice and to all who posted nice eye candy. I'm not the jealous type but man, I wish I had those. Oh well in due time.

(Smile)...well, a "Twin Reverb" is not a "low wattage" amp! One of the "holy grail" amps, for sure...

but hardly low wattage, at 85 to 135 Tube watts. It IS quite clean, too, as tube amps go. Might

try a Fender "Blues Junior," or Super Champ XD. Both are 15 (tube) watts, which is plenty. Need more,

mic 'em, throught the PA. ;>)

And, Milrod's opinion, on the Deluxe Reverb, is shared by your's truly, as well. Great amps...at 22

(tube) watts.

CB

Nice! Welcome, you'll never regret getting good equipment.

Personally I also share that respect for the Deluxe Reverb. Of course a Twin Reverb would do very nicely as well. For Tubes, gotta check out Boogies and try the new Egnaters. I've fallen in love with the Tourmaster and the Renegade.

(Smile)...well' date=' a "Twin Reverb" is not a "low wattage" amp! One of the "holy grail" amps, for sure...

but hardly low wattage, at 85 to 135 Tube watts. It IS quite clean, too, as tube amps go. Might

try a Fender "Blues Junior," or Super Champ XD. Both are 15 (tube) watts, which is plenty. Need more,

mic 'em, throught the PA. ;>)

And, Milrod's opinion, on the Deluxe Reverb, is shared by your's truly, as well. Great amps...at 22

(tube) watts.

CB[/quote']

I know it's (twin reverb) not low wattage I guess I should have been more concise with my reply. . I was just saying that for my purposes I low wattage amp would be great, a twin reverb would be overkill since I don't gig.

Really it all comes down to what you're willing to spend and what your plans are musically. Home playing or jamming in a house get a lower watt tube amp like the super champ xd, great little practice amp. If you're wanting to go bigger any of those manufacturers produce quality amps. I'd suggest finding the Gibby you like first and take it in for an amp test drive day at your local GC.

Hi jmoore and welcome.

If budget is a consideration, my cheaper and cheerful suggestions would be:

(a) Les Paul Special HB (I think these are now called Aged Cherry/Black/Yellow). I bought one a few years ago and it sounds and plays great. Cost is kept down by a UV-cured finish instead of lacquer and less adornment. Nothing wrong with a more ascetic look - right? Or you can buy one closer to the original Special design with P90s, if you prefer a single coil tone.

(:) certainly support a Deluxe Reverb (go for an early silverface) especially if you are playing out. Another increasingly popular option is a 5E3, which is the tweed 1959 version of the Deluxe. These are 15W, 1 x 12, 2 x 6V6. You can buy them off the shelf at a price - Fender and Victoria make one - or you can d-i-y. I bought my assembled 5E3 chassis from Ceriatone (there is a bunch of US makers too), the cab and speaker from Weber, the tubes from Eurotubes and just assembled it. The 5E3 has a rawer sound than the Deluxe Reverb.

But try lots of guitars and amps too like the others have said. Each has its own personality.

RN

100_0549-1.jpg

Normally the dessert burst doesn't appeal to me' date=' however the finish on your Lester is gorgeous. [cool The colors are blended to perfection.

I use Virtuoso Polish on my Traditional and I can not get close to the shine you have. What do you do to get it to glisten like that?

Archived