Gibson Brands Forums

Ever hate a type of guitar you now love?

Tim Plains

OK, since we've downgraded to "not like," I'd have to say a Strat like others have mentioned. I never really liked their twangy sound. Also they just didn't feel right in my hands. I decided to get a MIM one and I kinda liked it, so I bought a MIA one which I now REALLY love. I must admit that I play it more than the Lesters.

Okay...

First, let's put it this way: I've had guitars that were really nice and I liked, but I felt I "needed" another kind of guitar and swapped. In retrospect that was pretty dumb.

Then...

The guitar that I mostly use in an avatar here. I got it in '74 or 5. I tried a cupla types of strings. It just plain didn't "work" for me. There was a buzz. The flatwounds didn't "work" right. The tapewounds didn't "work" right. The whole guitar didn't "work" for me at the time. But she somehow said, "Keep me around."

So she went into a case and was replaced on gigs I was doing regularly at the time with a - get this - high end single pickup Harmony archtop from the 1950s. I didn't really like the neck, but the guitar was quite versatile and sounded pretty decent. I used either the Harmony or later, a Guild S100c that's a carved-top SG "clone."

Flash forward 25 years. A new set of strings - 9-42s - went on the old sunburst. The buzz was traced to the way the pick guard was set up against the bridge pickup assemblies. Suddenly... she was a different instrument and one I prefer above others I have now, or ever have had.

m

I used to not like Les Pauls.

I owned an old wine red plain top back in 1989 (forget what year the guitar was) and it just wasn't for me. I was heavy, just not a shape I liked at the time. I was all about Flying-V's, Explorers, SGs and whatever other odd shaped guitar was around. These days I now I have a renewed appreciation for the Les Paul.

My 1980 LPC....

I love the way she looks, but I couldn't get past the low wide frets, which is why she was put away for so long. Once I had her re-fretted, and a fretboard scallop she plays like a dream

• 3 weeks later...

believe it or not, i used to dislike Les Paul's.... I thought they were butt-ugly.... and now over 50% of guitars on my wishlist are LP's.... i had quite a change of heart several years ago when I first started playing guitar.... my friend owns an early 70's LP deluxe and after messing around on it for about 5 minutes through a cranked 100-watt Marshall I suddenly was in love with Les Pauls!! Also once I started realizing how many of my heros play LPs, they started to get a lot better looking.... its funny how i used to think they were ugly, and now i consider them the most beautiful looking guitars!! [biggrin]

this is a very generalized reply, but i used to abhore acoustic guitars, sticking to my "punk rock" ideals and whatnot, and said i'd never be a hippy, blah blah blah. now all i own is acoustic guitars. i had a few electrics, but i smashed them for one reason or another. i smash acoustics too. just have'nt figured out my next electric yet. i actually play electric better than acoustic, but like the raw unaffected sound you get from an acoustic guitar.

I played my dad's Melody maker and SG while learning guitar in the early days. No one told me is was okay to like both Gibson and Fender. I was passionately anti-Fender until my early 20s, when I acquired a Telecaster. Ended up playing the Stratocaster for several years and became anti-Gibson because I was bitter over a broken Les Paul headstock. Now I'll play anything I can get my mitts on.

Archived