Gibson Brands Forums

Standard V.S. Classic

Hippiekid

a lot of people will say standard because of the flamed top and better pickups, a lot of people don't like the ceramic pickups in the classic. You might also want to consider the standard faded, the same thing as the standard except it has zebra pickups and fewer coats of nitro giving it a low-gloss finish but also making the neck faster. Plus, the faded leaves some extra cash for anything else you might want

I'd say if you can afford a Standard, go for it. I have the Classic, but I got such a steal on it that it's become my prize possession. I love the ceramic pups, and the slim-tapered neck is perfect for me. Imo, they're both pretty equal. Do some test driving though.

I say.......if you have the money, don't limit yourself to one of two models. You've decided on a Les Paul, that's great.

Go out and play them all - Standard, Classic, Custom, Studio, a few Custom Shop reissues, Classic Antique, Standard faded, etc.

Between the two, I would go with the Standard, after all they call it that for a reason. I am in agreement with LittleKenny...The Standard Faded is a great option. I love the faded. Pretty sure if I get another Standard, it will be the faded. Take a look at Thundergods signature, his is gorgeous!!!

Good luck on your acquisition, can't wait to see what you get. Make sure you post pics. :-k

I have both, but if I had to narrow it down to one it would be the Standard. The ceramic pick-ups in the Classic were a little too hot for what I do (classic rock with a bit of heavier stuff).

Bottom line, it's no co-incidence they call it the Standard.

BTW, definitely look into the faded Standard. It's also no co-incidence I own two.

I've had two Standards, a Special, a Melody Maker and my current Goldtop Deluxe and Classic.

My Classic was made in 2000 before a slim neck was an option on the Standard.

It has a Plus top with nice flame and the slim neck.

I bought it new but HATED the ceramic pickups, it now has BurstBucker Pro's in it.

For me, it's THE Les Paul. I love it.

Standard is easy, now you have a choice of neck profiles and many color choices.

Should be able to find what you want, but my dealer has several Classics marked down trying to move them.

Well under $2000.

I vote Standard. For a couple of reasons.

- I hate the 60s neck profile. I can adapt to almost any neck, but I can't to the 60s...

- The 496R/500T pickups sound harsh in a Les Paul.

- The inlays on a Classic look nasty.

It's entirely up to you ! Play them both and as many of each as you can through the same or similar type amp you will be using . I have a couple of guitars laying around here and I play my Classic and Standard equally 50/50 .

I must have gotten lucky with the Classic because mine sounds great . With that said my choice of amplification is a little different than the majority here . Hughes & Kettner MK II . It seems to hold "it" together for me better than the others I've played through ...

My Classic ...

IMG_0412.jpg

Tried 4 out today 2 of each on a blackheart tube amp (I love that thing , probably the next thing I'm gonna buy). I really like the 60's neck, but I like the pick-ups on the standard, can't I go to the custom shop and get different pick-ups?O:)

There you go, get a Standard with a 60's neck.

You tried two of each what? Two Standards and two Classics?

Custom Shop guitars aren't like going to a "custom shop" and picking & choosing what options you like, if that's what you mean. Go to gibsoncustom.com and browse around.

I have Std from 2001 and Classic from late 90s.

Now they have the same pickups (490r/498t), and

they sound quite similar, but my Classic has unusually

strong trembles... must be the wood. Anyway, my point

is that these guitars are the same except the pickups.

Buy a new Classic and a new set of Duncan pickups and

it will be cheaper than buying a new STD.

Archived