Gibson Brands Forums

In The House!

Californiaman

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome back cruz. Have you been doing any riding lately?

Thanks' date=' recsec, been on the scoot every chance I get. Put some new rubber on and got all the slippery worn off, been out several times in the past few weeks. Hardly been driving the cages at all lately...finally! [cool Now it's Dodge-the-touristas time.

Dennis....

Glad t' see you back.

Been kinda odd weather here too. Friday it was a bit over 100, then I'm not sure if it hit 70 today. It was 55 when I came to work this morning.

As for the bear... assuming it's a blackie, a .357 or .30-30 should do the job easily enough as you know with proper bullet selection. Were it a griz I wouldn't be so sure of the .375. <grin>

We've got too many kitties around here too. State finally is admitting to more cats in the hills than the system can handle.

As for eating the critters, bear tends to be greasy; never had lion, but the old mountain men claimed to like it better than any other meat.

m

I wouldn't want to tangle with a bear at all.

The proactive trapping sounds good. Maybe you could call Murph to come and open a can of whoopass on that old bear.

Todd' date=' I was sitting in my glider the other night, filling a bowl, when I noticed a shadow on the porch. I couldn't turn my head far enough to see, so I pushed my glider back, putting my face right in front of the sliding door. The bear was right on the other side of the glass, looking into the darkened room I was sitting in while enjoying SIRIUS Bluesville. He couldn't really see me but took off like a shot when I tapped the glass real loud. Unfortunately he's been back with an attitude so now we gotta get more involved.

Murph might like an excuse to get back close to his old haunts for a spell. He might have some recipes, too. [lol

Nice to see you again Cruzn'.

Maybe you could introduce the turistas to the bears and get both of the pests out of your hair!

LOL! It occurs to me that each of us; me, the turistas and the bear, regard the other two as the nuisance. I'm the only one that's right, of course.

Good to see you, too, Steve, thanks.

Dennis....

Glad t' see you back.

Been kinda odd weather here too. Friday it was a bit over 100' date=' then I'm not sure if it hit 70 today. It was 55 when I came to work this morning.

As for the bear... assuming it's a blackie, a .357 or .30-30 should do the job easily enough as you know with proper bullet selection. Were it a griz I wouldn't be so sure of the .375. <grin>

We've got too many kitties around here too. State finally is admitting to more cats in the hills than the system can handle.

As for eating the critters, bear tends to be greasy; never had lion, but the old mountain men claimed to like it better than any other meat.

m

[/quote']

Hiya, Milo, good to see you! I never entertained the notion of eating bear OR cougar without starvation being the main reason. But I know of some good folks who'll as soon have bear on the menu as pork or beef.

I noticed recently there are more complaints about the cats in closer to town than out here where we're more or less used to them. They put in a subdivision where a forest used to be and then the cats start showing up, eating pets and livestock and such. Out here, when the sun goes down, the forest belongs to the critters. I just wish they'd stay IN it, instead of prowlin' 'round our chicken coop and pens and wheelie-bin. And all we have here are blacks. Big enough to suit me, though. I guess, if it came down to it, I could load the 12ga. with sabots. Might be a handfull in a 16" barrel, though. [lol]

Todd' date=' I was sitting in my glider the other night, filling a bowl, when I noticed a shadow on the porch. I couldn't turn my head far enough to see, so I pushed my glider back, putting my face right in front of the sliding door. The bear was right on the other side of the glass, looking into the darkened room I was sitting in while enjoying SIRIUS Bluesville. He couldn't really see me but took off like a shot when I tapped the glass real loud. Unfortunately he's been back with an attitude so now we gotta get more involved.

Murph might like an excuse to get back close to his old haunts for a spell. He might have some recipes, too. [lol

Reminds me of when I lived in Yakima and was working as a Ag consultant, a lady who had just bought a small orchard and had no idea how to take care of the place called us out, I was checking out the trees when she mention that she couldn't understand why the neighbors horses were always hanging around her side of the property line...she said "I always give them apples and they won't go away!" she was serious, I was stunned...

Maybe the bear just wants to share a bowl!?! [lol]

Reminds me of when I lived in Yakima and was working as a Ag consultant' date=' a lady who had just bought a small orchard and had no idea how to take care of the place called us out, I was checking out the trees when she mention that she couldn't understand why the neighbors horses were always hanging around her side of the property line...she said "I always give them apples and they won't go away!" she was serious, I was stunned...

Maybe the bear just wants to share a bowl!?! [lol

Dayum...hadn't though of that! I'd far rather stone him than shoot him...any day.

Funny thing, though; I've lived out here more than half my life but haven't a clue how you offer a bowl to a bear. Hafta light it, too, I s'pose. [lol]

Dayum...hadn't though of that! I'd far rather stone him than shoot him...any day.

Funny thing' date=' though; I've lived out here more than half my life but haven't a clue how you offer a bowl to a bear. Hafta light it, too, I s'pose. [lol

No, no, no, no you got it all wrong Cruzn'.

Got make up a big ol' batch of them pot brownies for your little friend.

Let him eat up a bunch of them extra-strength ones and he'll become right peaceable.

Might even roll over and let ya' rub his tummy.[lol]

Funny thing' date=' though; I've lived out here more than half my life but haven't a clue how you offer a bowl to a bear. Hafta light it, too, I s'pose. [lol

Carefully!

I love that part of Oregon, we go over to the coast every year, Pacific City is one of our favorite places. Have you ever been to the Fort Klamath area? Beautiful.

No' date=' no, no, no you got it all wrong Cruzn'.

Got make up a big ol' batch of them pot brownies for your little friend.

Let him eat up a bunch of them extra-strength ones and he'll become right peaceable.

Might even roll over and let ya' rub his tummy.:) [/quote']

Excellent idea,Todd, I have such an awesome recipe, as well as ample ingredients. I like it! I'll get my apron on and start mixing.

I think I'll let YOU do the tummy rub on him, though...I'll watch and take lots of pics! [cool]

Carefully!

I love that part of Oregon' date=' we go over to the coast every year, Pacific City is one of our favorite places. Have you ever been to the Fort Klamath area? Beautiful.[/quote']

Funny thing happened on the was to Fort Klamath...I stayed home! LOL! I've done woefully little travelling in my home state. I've never even done the normal tourist thing like Crater Lake or the 7 Falls. The Columbia River gorge is calling me, though, I've always wanted to travel it. Have you been up that way?

The coast is a different story, though. At 70 miles distant, it's one of my more frequent ride destinations. Gives a great contrast in weather systems from one side of the coastal range, through the tunnel to the other.

Hey' date=' Hwy9, how ya been, mon? Good to see you. Yeah, the bear thing is gonna get intense before it's all over, I'm afraid. Hopefully the sanctuary will be some help. If not, there's lots of folks out here who'll eat bear meat if given the opportunity.

Last year's grass makes the waiting and watching of this year's much more enjoyable. :- [/quote']

Doing pretty well, thanks... weather's brutal hot in PA... and watching sister-in-laws 2yr old for a week... wish I could feed *her* some of your brownies. She's as much a handful as our two girls together!

But probably not as bad as your bear. [confused]

Got the (acoustic) guitar out for the first time in two weeks today, over lunch break. Felt good!

Dennis...

Heck, any 12 can be "brutal" on both ends, depending on the ammo. <grin>

Kitties out here have been causing enough problems that they've been getting hit on the Interstate even. I think they'll extend the hunting season. Mostly the young 'ens area expanding out of the high hills. Daddie kitties are especially nasty to younger males and the recently weaned males are kicked out onto the prairies. Mommies don't get along well with their own little girls and do roughly the same. Problem with the youngsters is that they're not good hunters and tend to get into trouble with "easy prey" ranging from house pets to human children.

m

Hey Cruzn' date=' how's life treatin' you? Good to see you around.[thumbup']

Hey, Thunder, good to see you, mon! I've been good, thanks. Very busy for the past few weeks but looks like it'll slow down for awhile now and I can pay more attention to what all you REAL guitarists are up to. [blink]

Archived