Gibson Brands Forums

Ranting 101

rockman82

I kinda feel like ranting right now. If anyone would care to join in, the topic is Copyright laws and Youtube. (Maybe next week I'll do Gibson's stupid* high prices)

I don't know how far this post will go, but here goes.

I've been thinking about you know, Youtube and the whole deal where you post a video with copyrighted music in it and you get sued out the rear end for it.

Why is copyright law like this in the states? I mean you buy an album, and when you're listening to it and a video camera happens to come by while you're playing it, and it gets uploaded to youtube, you're pretty much done for. Because youtube will tell the person to take the video down and then the author can still decide to sue the kid for all he has. So besides listening to the album(Let's say AC/DC's Black Ice for example) It's pretty much paper weight. The record label sells it, and then, they're like "Ok the album's out. You can listen to it, but that's it. If you do anything else with it, we will sue you. You know in fact, just give the album back. We're keeping the money too."

In my opinion it's just the record labels wanting more money just becuase they don't have enough.

Now I understand artists don't want their music being downloaded illegally, and I wouldn't either. But with the technology we have now, it's almost impossible to stop it. So will the battle of the Record Label Giants Vs. The Free People ever end?

You know they could at least come up with better copyright laws that people can actually follow.

The record companies don't care if some Joe Average posts some video of them playing their tune. They won't go after anybody unless there's a monetary incentive to do it.

Nobody's going to sue anybody because somebody makes a video of them singing a tune. It would be the person who shot the video who violated the copyright, anyway.

It's pretty easy to get permission to use somebody's song, so if somebody is producing their own album or something, they can get permission to use the song anyway.

Nobody's ever going to sue you for playing "Stormy Monday" at the local pub. Or for posting that video on Youtube. Youtube doesn't know whether you have the right to use somebody's music, anyway.

Yeah - The record companies want money. But as long as you're "under the radar", I don't think there's a real problem.

As the owner of over 50 Copyrights, I think protection is good and Youtube is the problem.

Writers make their living selling their work. People who steal it are thieves.

[biggrin]

As the owner of over 50 Copyrights' date=' I think protection is good and Youtube is the problem.

[cool

I agree, I buy the rights to reproduce other people's work all the time, (generally magazine articles through Copyright Clearance Center). And I wanted to reproduce a photo that ran in the local newspaper for my Christmas Cards one year, so I bought the rights from the Newspaper & Photographer to do that....but I think it's gotten too out of hand. Someone stealing copyrighted recordings from an internet site is quite different from a guy playing "cover songs" in a bar. If the cost and process to use other peoples songs was reasonable, it'd be reasonable to expect people buy the rights to play someone else's songs. But it ain't. I sometimes use copyrighted music in videos I produce, and the cost it outrageous. Since I'm using the songs for a business, I can justify the cost, (about $75 per song)....but if I was going to play someone's song in a bar...for which I'd be lucky to make $150 for the whole night, it's unreasonable to expect someone to follow copyright laws.

I'd think a songwriter would LIKE their stuff played in bars, etc. More exposure to their stuff.... would result in people being more likely to purchase their CD maybe!

It's because the writer / performer of the music is allowed to make a living. This is HOW they make a living. For someone to rebroadcast, re-record without paying royalties, takes money out of the composer and performers' pockets. If these musicians cannot make a living making recordings and selling them, there will be no more recordings to buy.

It's because the writer / performer of the music is allowed to make a living. This is HOW they make a living. For someone to rebroadcast' date=' re-record without paying royalties, takes money out of the composer and performers' pockets. If these musicians cannot make a living making recordings and selling them, there will be no more recordings to buy. [/quote']

I have had my recordings, (I have NO song writing ability), pirated and sold in albums in Europe, (Pebbles 10), and have had one of these songs pirated by a group fronted by a relatively well-known singer named April March. I think that interest led to the song's release on the CD "You Got Yours" from Ace Records, for which I do get royalties.

As the owner of over 50 Copyrights' date=' I think protection is good and Youtube is the problem.

:- [/quote']

Yeah I agree with that. Youtube's never been able to secure their videos. There are always websites that can download the videos and stuff. I'd be pretty mad if people download my stuff illegally, even though i don't have any copyrighted material, i still see what you mean.

I just think it's a little dumb to not be able to do anything with music you've bought from the store. Like if you upload a song that you bought or something, youtube will make you take it down if you're caught. Consumers don't have a lot of things to do with their music but listen to them.

Hey...

What's wrong with just listening to the music? I wasn't aware that that wasn't enough for some people.

I buy my music to listen to it. I thought that was what music was for...

well that's true. But as a musician I love to jam out to it, and it's very tempting to record a video of me playing my favorite songs and upload it to a video server. Then it would get taken down and all that bull crap.

If I was a normal person, just listening to music would be fine.

I just saw that Australian band, Men at Work, are being sued over "A Land Down Under" by the copyright owner of the flute melody used in that song. That song was popular, what, 20 or 25 years ago? The suit is for 5% of the royalties collected from that song, as I recall.

I recall a time when bands would go play concerts to promote their material. I've dropped more than a bill on a ticket for a show. I've also seen many bands multiple times. Your a musician and you want to get paid? Quit b*tching and take your act on the road. No mp3 or youtube video can compare to a live concert, so if a musician wants to protest copyright abuse they should get off their azz and start booking shows.

Archived