Gibson Brands Forums

Does a decade make a difference?

GlenBenGurian

Hi everyone. Here to pick a few brains again...

I've run across two J-45s: a 1999 and a 2010.

Both are priced right, in my opinion (the 2010 is some $400 more than the '99, but well below MSRP). As this will be an online purchase, I can't play 'em, but can audition them after buying for 72 hours...

All things being equal (I have the $ budgeted either way), will an older model pack more Gibson mojo than a new one? Or will I run the risk of fewer problems with a new out-of-the-box model?

Thx!

G

Sorry but these sort of questions are impossible to answer. We can't see the guitars. we can't hear them, we have no idea what has been done to them (if anything). And you ask if the older one will "pack more Gibson mojo". What do you mean? Will it sound better, or will it look banged up and used?

You really need to play an acoustic guitar before you buy it. If you live a long way from a decent store the best way to get the most out of your money is to plan a road trip to a good shop with several acoustics you can try out in person.

Give the situation: two guitars that you cannot play in person. I would definitely go for the new model for $400 more. You get a new guitar with warranty.

If you could play the guitars and the old one was clearly superior tonally and in great shape then it might be different.

Also the prices are too close. I bought a near mint 2001 H-bird last year for $1250, a new one would cost about $3000 so it was a no brainer for me.

... You really need to play an acoustic guitar before you buy it. If you live a long way from a decent store the best way to get the most out of your money is to plan a road trip to a good shop with several acoustics you can try out in person.

Excellent advice.

On the other hand, if you're really far from a dealer, and a road trip is out of the question, think about the new one and the warranty you would have.

having done mail order a few times, id be the first to say its a crapshot. Fwiw, the 10 has modern tuners, the 99 has vintagey klusons with plastic buttons. 10 has a pup, 99=?. Neck profiles are likely similar but you can ask. Since the 99 has been around the block, determine what repairs/mods have been done/need doing/current state of the action, saddle height etc. Other than that, its hard to suss the differences.

Duly noted.

As for stores, the mega-stores here in Orlando stock what sells. And what sells are sub-$1000 guitars. In rare instances you can find a Martin signature, a J-200 or some other high-end models behind glass, and request an audition. But as of today there is not a single J-45 in this town. Believe me, I've looked.

Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated!

Duly noted.

As for stores' date=' the mega-stores here in Orlando stock what sells. And what sells are sub-$1000 guitars. In rare instances you can find a Martin signature, a J-200 or some other high-end models behind glass, and request an audition. But as of today there is not a single J-45 in this town. Believe me, I've looked.

Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated![/quote']

WOW.....not a single J-45???? That is strange in a town that big....

The Gibson dealers I found in the Orlando area all seem to be Guitar Center, Sam Ash, or George's Music. If they can't sell $2000 acoustics, they won's stock them. My Guitar Center rarely has new Gibson acoustics, and the high-end Martins hang on the rack for months.

Can you afford to buy both, at least temporarily? It may be best to buy both of them, compare, and return the one you like less.

having done mail order a few times' date=' id be the first to say its a crapshot. Fwiw, the 10 has modern tuners, the 99 has vintagey klusons with plastic buttons. 10 has a pup, 99=?. Neck profiles are likely similar but you can ask. Since the 99 has been around the block, determine what repairs/mods have been done/need doing/current state of the action, saddle height etc. Other than that, its hard to suss the differences. [/quote']

+1

Also, if anything, I believe the guitars coming from Bozeman now are more highly regarded than 10 years ago. They're certainly not worse.

Can you afford to buy both' date=' at least temporarily? It may be best to buy both of them, compare, and return the one you like less.[/quote']

Or end up with 2 new guitars......

[biggrin]

On average, 2010s are better than 1999s (IMHO, but I'm pretty sure that this is the majority opinion among those who have experience with both vintages), and the 2010s are definitely more consistent. However, the variance of 1999s is large compared to the difference in the means, so this is not a strong reason to believe that this particular 2010 is better than this particular 1999. (Plus, what you're looking for tonally might affect the answer.) Bottom line: No way to know without hearing to them.

Also, the difference between dealer cost and MSRP is the same for Gibsons and Martins, so that tells you how good a 45% discount is.

-- Bob R

Archived