Gibson Brands Forums

Elvis Costello's Spectacle

Gilliangirl

Anyone else get this program? Tonight he's got Kris Kristofferson' date=' Roseanne Cash and Norah Jones on. Should be a good one! Will have to get back from the stables in good time tonight 'cause I don't want to miss this.[/quote']

'Spectacle' is IMO a great show, and somewhat unique these days for "mainstream" TV. Elvis has had an interesting and varied roster of guests on the show. It is quite interesting to see how often he picks up his old J-160E, isn't it?

Sundance+Channel+Hosts+Debut+Spectacle+Elvis+-CY2A7eJcPYl.jpg

Oh, and a mid-late '60s J-50:

lyleljohnp.jpg

Fred

EC has historically been my "hero." I recognize that most folks really like this program he hosts' date=' but to me, he's given up. It's just a familiar roster of consensus choices.

Elvis Costello, ca. 1979 would've hated this crap.[/quote']

I love EC, too (and always have), and I think young EC would have loved Spectacle! His role as host of Spectacle reflects the deep love and understanding of his musical influences that he's always shown in his own songwriting. Further, I think he's an ideal interviewer since he's not only a songwriter and performer himself, but articulate and curious (much like Elton John, who is the Executive Producer of Spectacle, was in the pages of Interview).

And, in this day where "talk" shows are mostly designed for the guest to exploit and market their latest project in four minute segments, its refreshing that a forum exists where guest and host actually converse, not tp mention PLAY music together. I think the show is cool, and so is EC, still.

Red 333

I love EC' date=' too (and always have), and I think young EC would have loved Spectacle! His role as host of Spectacle reflects the deep love and understanding of his musical influences that he's always shown in his own songwriting. Further, I think he's an ideal interviewer since he's not only a songwriter and performer himself, but articulate and curious (much like Elton John, who is the Executive Producer of Spectacle, was in the pages of Interview).

And, in this day where "talk" shows are mostly designed for the guest to exploit and market their latest project in four minute segments, its refreshing that a forum exists where guest and host actually converse, not tp mention PLAY music together. I think the show is cool, and so is EC, still.

Red 333 [/quote']

That's what I like about it too. The questions and chit-chat seem genuine, and they jam together. It's real honest-to-goodness casual music and music-talk.

Murph, it's on CTV. I don't know if you can get it down your way? I guess with satellite we can get anything now tho'. Here's a link, if it helps....

http://shows.ctv.ca/SpectacleElvisCostellowith.aspx

By the way, I missed the show [cool] I was probably giving Sable a spraydown with Mane&Tail when it started

37492_1401303351272_1192973085_31023159_1096519_s.jpg

Here's Elvis on tour with Jerry Douglas & Mike Compton (my mandolin teacher) Europe Summer 2010.

Since EC is a topic of discussion. Secret, Profane & Sugarcane is a great piece of music that they are touring behind.

I don't get this show' date=' is there any way to watch it online? [/quote']

I rent the DVD's from Netflix. So if you can't get it, it's available thru Netflix (DVD, not streaming) and if it's there, it's probably elsewhere...

EC buys groceries at the store I work at. He asked me where the toilet was once. He seems somewhat approachable but I have never asked him anything. Don't like to bug people.

You'd have to be a real Elvis freak to love this story. Thanks, I love this story.

I'm sorry, but EC to me has always been Eric Clapton. Elvis Costello, has evaded most of my musical sensibilities. He has hit home on some things, however. Allison, for one. I have a musician buddy that is just GaGa over him.....But I haven,t got there yet. E C = Eric Clapton... Just my likings?

I would ,however like to see this session... looks cool!

Archived