Gibson Brands Forums

What songs you working on lately?

onewilyfool

Playing an open mic tonight and here is the three song set that I'm practicing today:

Taxi - Harry Chapin

I'm Easy - Keith Carradine

I'm Not Sayin' / Ribbon of Darkness - Gordon Lightfoot

I have my 'posse' with me so I'll be great regardless of the outcome! :-s

Just Breathe is another PJ song I'm working on:

. Suffer through the first part of the video-its worth it. Eddie was really on point that night! One of the best love songs around. LCB

Yes I have played around with Just Breathe. Not a terribly difficult song, but damn he picks that things so fast!! I have to do it about 2/3rds of his speed.

1) Just Breathe

2) Aura Lee -- but adding in a final verse of my own which merges the original with the Elvis Love Me Tender:

"Love me tender - Love me true - Never let me go

I do love you Aura Lee - And you'll always know

Aura Lee Aura Lee Maid of golden hair

sunshine came along with thee - and swallows in the air"

3) Gold - John Stewart

4) Easy Street - from Stefan Grossman album "How To Play Blues Guitar" and sung by JoAnne Kelly

5) My Creole Belle -- Mississippi John Hurt

6) Use me -- Bill Withers

Hey GG -- I used to be part of a band in which the lead guitarist refused to change the key on most songs' date=' so I'd end up ripping my throat out. Leave the Pieces was one of them (just a little too high or too low for the power bits...) -- now I'm running solo I experimented with changing the key on it, and found an extra bonus -- the opening riff on a D sounds a whole lot better to me than the original.. and the whole song seems to resonate better, even with capo.

[biggrin

We had a guy like that in our Wednesday night play 'n sing group..... every song had to be in the original key. So what if no one could sing it! Crazy! I did try Leave The Pieces in D and quite liked it. I'm still experiementing with the keys for that song. For the time being I'm doing it in A tuned down a half step (so G#). I love the song!

Playing an open mic tonight and here is the three song set that I'm practicing today:

Taxi - Harry Chapin

I'm Easy - Keith Carradine

I'm Not Sayin' / Ribbon of Darkness - Gordon Lightfoot

I have my 'posse' with me so I'll be great regardless of the outcome! [biggrin]

I was supposed to be part of the posse but a wayward saddle stirrup changed all that. My nose is about a n inch further to the left at the moment.

Knock 'em dead, Doug! Sending good karma your way!

I really like 'Good Day Sunshine' by the.. Ah well you know who wrote it.

It is in fact a nice easy song to sing and play solo. I put it up with my band but in fact I think it sounds best solo. There's some quite fast chord changes to get it right but then the timing is best slowish anyway. If any member fancys it I'll mail you the chords.

On more up to date stuff John Mayer's new album is full of gems.

Banjo-

Abe's Retreat

Digging up Acorns

Fall of Richmond

Kitchen Girl

Boys, Let's Feed the Horses

Walkin in the Parlor

Long Time Traveling

Guitar-

Rambling Boy

Old Car Died

Somebody Loves You

No Heaven on the COunty Road

Seven Year Blues

Knoxville Girl

Waves on the Sea

Write a Letter to my Mother

Third Rate Romance

And one or two originals that I think are gonna go back on the shelf.. There's too many great songs out there!

Archived