Gibson Brands Forums

What songs you working on lately?

onewilyfool

I picked up two songs from this Forum that I am working on.

1. Smuggler's Waltz, Tom Waits

2. This guitar is for sale, John Prine

I would have never even HEARD of these songs if not for this Forum....lol......thanks

Oh I forgot to add, "While my guitar gently weeps" by George Harrison and Beatles

The last few years I haven't spent much time on cover tunes, but just last week I heard Al Green's Let's Stay Together on the radio and thought it would be kinda different to learn a Mo-Town classic. I certainly cannot sing it in the register old Al does, but I can pull it off. Cool tune. The previous tune I learned was also a John Prine number, Hello In There........beautiful song and sad comment on getting old.

The previous tune I learned was also a John Prine number' date=' [i']Hello In There[/i]........beautiful song and sad comment on getting old.

I agree, Buc! I used to play that song quite a bit. I've always loved John Prine's songs. A really great songwriter. Another couple of favorites by him I used to play were "Souvinirs" and "Please Don't Bury Me".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DYQe454YVs

Tricks Ain't Walking No More - Curley Weaver

Pistol Blues - Bo Weevil Jackson

I also have an upcoming gig playing with some folks and have been working on:

The Lakes of Pontchartrain

Banks of the Ohio

The Streets of Baltimore

I Don't Want Your Millions Mister

I seem to have a bit of a place name thing going on here.

I haven't been playing much lately, and when I do, it's classical. I need to finish an arrangement and finish writing two others so this record can be finished for Christmas.

It doesn't help that I have two other projects on my desk that aren't going to be on the record - one's a "pop orchestra" arrangement of a Barenaked Ladies song that I'm doing for no particular reason, the other is an instrumental I've decided to write for my old high school band and choir.

When I'm not practicing/rehearsing for a band performance, I work on my solo jazz guitar "book".

Most recently is Duke Ellington's "In A Mellow Tone".

He's a nice version similar to what I TRY to do (edit: WISH I COULD DO) with a solo guitar jazz piece like "Mellow Tone".

Unfortunately I'm still working on the same songs I was playing the last time this question was posed, City of Dreams by Victoria Banks and Leave The Pieces by The Wreckers. With the nice weather I've been spending most of my time at the stables.

I've gone over to the dark side: Alive by Pearl Jam. Sounds great on acoustic. You can play the opening riff and its easy chords the rest of the way (the voicing might be a challenge!). Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llaYg0XpiKQ . IMHO the opening riff on a cranked amp is one of the best rock riffs ever.

Just Breathe is another PJ song I'm working on:

. Suffer through the first part of the video-its worth it. Eddie was really on point that night! One of the best love songs around.

LCB

Hey GG -- I used to be part of a band in which the lead guitarist refused to change the key on most songs, so I'd end up ripping my throat out. Leave the Pieces was one of them (just a little too high or too low for the power bits...) -- now I'm running solo I experimented with changing the key on it, and found an extra bonus -- the opening riff on a D sounds a whole lot better to me than the original.. and the whole song seems to resonate better, even with capo.

[biggrin]

Archived