Gibson Brands Forums

Too locked up on tone?

Silenced Fred

What is the point that someone should stop worrying about what pickups are better' date=' what amp, what mods, etc and just play the damn guitar?[/quote']

How about, "From The Get Go"! Tone doesn't do the player a bit of good if can't make it sing.

A lot of beginners ask "Who do I get So-n-so's tone"? What exactly are they talking about? A Pinch Harmonic? A Flanger? Gain? Pick Slide? Vibrato? Delay?

Until the player has played enough to know what tone comes from Fingers and what tone comes from Gear, the question,"How Do I achieve This Tone" is MOOT.

The best way to learn guitar is Music First, Tone Second. If you can't play "Strangle Hold" right, Ted Nugent's rig won't help you a bit.

I played for almost 10 years before I cared about Pickups or all that Tubes vs Solid State BS. But then the first Pedal I ever bought was a Tube Screamer because of SRV.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is a fascinating thing: i like how a given player, through the same amp, same axe, same everything is immediately identifiable as unique.

i recall an EVH story about being on tour with Ted Nugent, where Ted played through Ed's stuff, but it still was Ted's sound.

each player has his own internal contribution to "tone" as well... i guess part of the quest is to find that as well...

-Don

this is a fascinating thing: i like how a given player' date=' through the same amp, same axe, same everything is immediately identifiable as unique.

i recall an EVH story about being on tour with Ted Nugent, where Ted played through Ed's stuff, but it still was Ted's sound.

each player has his own internal contribution to "tone" as well... i guess part of the quest is to find that as well...

-Don[/quote']

How about' date=' "From The Get Go"! Tone doesn't do the player a bit of good if can't make it sing.

A lot of beginners ask "Who do I get So-n-so's tone"? What exactly are they talking about? A Pinch Harmonic? A Flanger? Gain? Pick Slide? Vibrato? Delay?

Until the player has played enough to know what tone comes from Fingers and what tone comes from Gear, the question,"How Do I achieve This Tone" is MOOT.

The best way to learn guitar is Music First, Tone Second. If you can't play "Strangle Hold" right, Ted Nugent's rig won't help you a bit.

I played for almost 10 years before I cared about Pickups or all that Tubes vs Solid State BS. But then the first Pedal I ever bought was a Tube Screamer because of SRV.[/quote']

Ah, you were able to make my point for me. I didn't know how to get it down though. Thanks

Ah' date=' you were able to make my point for me. I didn't know how to get it down though. Thanks[/quote']

[biggrin] You're welcome. It's a good point to make, too. It's a very unattractive truth but one that new players have to face. The player has to make the instrument do what a instrument does.

I have been on a tone quest for years... It is ever elusive, but I'm closer today to the sound in my head than I have ever been before.

The tone from guitar, pups, amps, etc is part of what inspires me. The better the tone, the more I enjoy playing.

I play with different tones by intent, depending on what I'm playing. But then tonight I might be on a "swing" mood and tomorrow a 20s-30s blues mood and day after tomorrow a 50s rock mood and the next day perhaps a cowboy mood and... then a country mood and then a 60s rock mood and...

m

I'm happy with my tone because I'm sure it is the best I can get out of my gear and I like it for now.

If I added another amp (for a twist on things, a different take) then I would incorporate the best tone from that into my sound already....like Joe Bonamassa and his 4 amp system...

But it would only to get a different taste...because the tone I want changes and I'm not about to buy more gear everytime....its much better and I consider it a skill to manipulate the gear you have to produce the tone you want.

I'm always finding ways to sound good with the gear I have. I think that's the way to go for me. Otherwise, like it

was mentioned earlier, it's a never ending maze buying stuff, going crazy, and you may end up where you started anyway. Like Edward Van Halen said "If it sounds good, it IS good" (emphasis mine). #-o

Are you happy with your TONE?

tone-loc4.jpg

its much better and I consider it a skill to manipulate the gear you have to produce the tone you want.

That sounds nice but it's not reality in every situation. I say that is because if the only gear you have is a LP and a Blues Jr. it doesn't matter how hard you manipulate the guitar and amp you are not going to get a high gain metal sound. You can only sound like the equipment you have. The LP will not sound like a strat nor will a fender blues jr sound like a Marshall.

That sounds nice but it's not reality in every situation. I say that is because if the only gear you have is a LP and a Blues Jr. it doesn't matter how hard you manipulate the guitar and amp you are not going to get a high gain metal sound. You can only sound like the equipment you have. The LP will not sound like a strat nor will a fender blues jr sound like a Marshall.

As "naked" instruments, quite right! But, with the plethora of pedals, available...you can get very, very close,

to most tones, you'd want. It's true, and Strat and LP sound completely different...and it's easier to get a more

LP sound from a Strat, than the opposite...IMHO. But, still...you can do a LOT with some well chosen pedals,

with even that simple rig. But...Basic "Good/Great" tone, regardless of "Gear," is still more, in technique...IMHO.

"Practice, practice, practice!" ;>)

Also...what you hear, or think you hear, isn't always what is "Reality." Just one example, is Led Zeppelin's first album.

Sounds like a LP and Marshall! Reality is, (electric guitar) is all a Telecaster, through a Supro Amp.

CB

As "naked" instruments' date=' quite right! But, with the plethora of pedals, available...you can get very, very close,

to most tones, you'd want. It's true, and Strat and LP sound completely different...and it's easier to get a more

LP sound from a Strat, than the opposite...IMHO. But, still...you can do a LOT with some well chosen pedals,

with even that simple rig. But...Basic "Good/Great" tone, regardless of "Gear," is still more, in technique...IMHO.

"Practice, practice, practice!" ;>)

Also...what you hear, or think you hear, isn't always what is "Reality." Just one example, is Led Zeppelin's first album.

Sounds like a LP and Marshall! Reality is, (electric guitar) is all a Telecaster, through a Supro Amp.CB[/quote']

I totally agree with you but where I was coming from when I said that was more in line with a comment about making sounds with what you have. ie - not buying more gear to get a new sound.

As for JP and his tele/supro combo... we cannot discount that studio gear and creative mic placement is what he used to shape his sound.

What you wrote makes me think about that first LZ album. You are right we like to think it is a LP going thru a Marshall but is that because most live shots show Jimmy with the LP/Marshall combo? In other words, have you listened to that album recently with a critical ear (I ask myself that too)? Communication breakdown doesn't sound like a LP to me. I need to revisit that album and listen with a critical ear.

I understand....I was only saying that a (relatively) small out lay, in pedals, could extend the range

of one's "limited" guitar/amp equipment. Most can afford that...as opposed to buying a whole new

rig. And...most of us, buy pedals, anyway! If only to "push" the tubes, or simulate a tube amp, when

playing a solid state. And, the recording studio "toybox" is critical, on most recordings! Maybe, especially

so, with more simplistic equipment? But, people who play "metal" or whatever style, are more likely

to buy, even modestly, the sort of "gear" for that, in the first place. So, they wouldn't necessarily get a

Fender guitar, or even a Les Paul type...then run it into "Blues Jr." So...knowing what style, and sound

you're after, is somewhat important, to begin with...when even making initial purchases. Having said that,

I've always felt the Amp, was a lot more important, tone wise, than the guitar. So, buying a versatile

amp, to begin with is critical....again, IMHO. Plus, as you develop, as a player, your style and tone changes...

sometimes radically, and sometimes, in more subtle ways. And, you develop a broader interest, too...so, you

may decide to own several guitars and amp combinations, to cater to the tone you want, specifically, for any

style, or tonal idiosyncracy, you may have in mind.

That's all cool! But, "your tone," will be from your talent, technique, heart, and stylings. Gear only

helps...it won't get you there, magically. That's all I'm saying. Modding things, for personal preference,

is totally cool! I do it, myself, all the time. But, I don't expect changing pickups, strings, or circuits, will

magically transform "my tone." Except, in some psychological way, perhaps? Manufacturers, and their

Marketing departments, count on that! I've experimented, a lot...especially in my younger years...and

as often as not, I came back, to the "Stock," setup...providing, of course, that the guitar or amp was

a good/great one, in the first place. I've never had the kind of money, to make uninformed/naive, or

impulse purchases. So I did, and still do, a lot of trying things out, prior to purchase, rather than trying

to "fix" it, later.

Anyway...just some (more) thoughts. To each, his or her own.

Cheers,

CB

When are people just playing their guitar,instead of 'writing' about it????

My goodness....so many threads about tone,this mod,that mod,blablabla....just play, stop writing about it! THATS THE POINT![cool]

IMO a forum topic is nice and ok,it's a nice way to chill out....to informe sometimes....

But really, sometimes I think there is too much writing about tone, and too less playing...:-k

For me : just plug out the PC and plug in the guitar! Let the guitar talk about the tone!

Sorry, don't mean to judge anyone, it's just my way of seeing this!

No need, for screaming, Vinny...LOL. Besides, if one doesn't want to "chat," about guitars, or

whatever...on a forum, no one is making them, right? Most do it, because it's fun, interesting,

and informative. With new members joining, there is always going to be "repeated" questions,

and/or ideas/threads/posts. That's just a part of this gig.

Cheers,

CB

No need' date=' for screaming, Vinny...LOL. Besides, if one doesn't want to "chat," about guitars, or

whatever...on a forum, no one is making them, right? Most do it, because it's fun, interesting,

and informative. With new members joining, there is always going to be "repeated" questions,

and/or ideas/threads/posts. That's just a part of this gig.

Cheers,

CB[/quote']

No screaming at all! Like I said, just my point of seeing it! Forums are fun and informing, but sometimes there is too much blabla about ado! And off course no one is forcing u to chat on forums, that's why I just post something that can,will informe me, not just to spend my time.... Maybe there should be an informative side and a joke side in this Lounge??? So people who wants to use the forum as a kind of information should be able to go straight to the point, and the games should be set in a joke-fun side of the lounge...Just an idea?????????

No screaming at all! Like I said' date=' just my point of seeing it! Forums are fun and [u']informing[/u], but sometimes there is too much blabla about ado! And off course no one is forcing u to chat on forums, that's why I just post something that can,will informe me, not just to spend my time.... Maybe there should be an informative side and a joke side in this Lounge??? So people who wants to use the forum as a kind of information should be able to go straight to the point, and the games should be set in a joke-fun side of the lounge...Just an idea?????????

I'm just trying to answer my own questions, but also just throw this little tidbit of knowledge out there. Sorry for talking about guitars on a guitar forum... [biggrin]

I'll let you know next time I want to post a joke thread so you can read it then

I spend as much time building amps as I do actually playing guitar so the question of tone is interesting to me and it's always good conversation.

But I'm not always down in my man-cave playing or building. I often sit in the living room with with my note book while the wife is watching tv. I'm usually doing homework then so getting on-line to chat is a nice break.

Externally, I am always chasing a sound by tweaking knobs, adding/subtracting pedals, changing strings, changing cables, etc. One week it could be bright & jangly, another week it will be warm & mellow, and sometimes it is the sonic assault of a jet plane landing on your roof.

Internally, I am always on a quest for supreme tone. This is not something you can find through physical objects. It comes from your playing style, how you pick/strum, how you fret notes or chords, your vibrato. It is also your state of mind. I know when I am in that zone and pouring my inner soul out through each note. This is my tone and when it is played back people can say, "that sounds like you".

When are people just playing their guitar' date='instead of 'writing' about it????

My goodness....so many threads about tone,this mod,that mod,blablabla....just play, stop writing about it! THATS THE POINT![cool

IMO a forum topic is nice and ok,it's a nice way to chill out....to informe sometimes....

But really, sometimes I think there is too much writing about tone, and too less playing...:-k

For me : just plug out the PC and plug in the guitar! Let the guitar talk about the tone!

Sorry, don't mean to judge anyone, it's just my way of seeing this!

Hey, I'm playing this weekend if you want to come out and Hear it....but you're all the way out there in Belgium. I guess I'll just have to write about it after the Gig. Hope that's ok.

Archived