Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-45 Gold Tops...

GlenBenGurian

GBG-

Just buy a 45. Everyone here knows you want one. Gold top, Burst, Vintage, 45TV, 45 Historic, 45 MC, 45 WM - whatever. Just get one. There is a guy on the Martin forum practically giving a very nice one away. NFI

I had a 45 WM Gold Top and it sounded like a J-45 with a Sunburst.

All kidding aside here, get a J-45 and ease your G.A.S. pain [biggrin]

LOL. I hear you, PA. And believe me, I'm trying.

Already bought and returned a TV. Didn't care for the stripped "speed" neck. Plus the guitar was set up beyond poorly, hinting that further modifications were due.

And to be honest, I never buy a guitar without an exit strategy. I felt the guitar was priced a little high, and that those modifications would affect it resale value.

Being new to Gibsons, I'm trying to learn to guage both their merits and marketability. As UMGF-ers, we both know that certain Martins will ALWAYS move. Some in a matter of hours. I'm trying to learn which Gibsons, likewise, have consistent appeal.

Bottom line: I'm hoping to land another TV, but I really like the Gold Top, which leaves me wondering if the lack of a sunburst finish is going to cause me problems down the road if I chose to move on...

P.S. Thanks John. That's the one I'm considering. Already in touch with seller...

All I know is that the Goldtop J45 they had in the Gibson Trailer when it was here in Minneapolis area was likely one of the nicest playing and sounding J45's I have ever held in my hands. I sooooo wanted to run out the back of the trailer, jump in my car and speed away as I didn't have the $$$ to do it leagally. The price was better than any other J45 I have seen listed new in a store (Well under $2000 that day only) and this was only 10 days old when I played it.

Prior to playing that one, I can honestly say I would have never considered a Goldtop acoustic, but I fell hard for that guitar. Out of all I played in the trailer that day, the Goldtop was the clear winner in my book.

100_0888.jpg

And they had a lot of nice ones to choose from!

100_0890.jpg

This is probably my biggest gripe with Bozeman - its like Baskin Robbins - a J-45 in 31 different flavors. Ya need a freakin' glossary to keep up with all the versions. Just give the the sweet simplicty of a 1940s or 1950s J-45 and forget all the fancy finishes, exotic looking woods, and various doodads. I would much rather see a faithful reproduction of a guitar from a past catalog without the hefty price tag of a Legend Series guitar. Also begs the question of whether a J-45 without a burst can actually be called a J-45.

I am probably just a bit too old school but I kinda liked it when companies like Fender and Gibson offered you the best they had in any off the shelf guitar. Even when Gibson first started their Custom Division it was not to produce special higher dollar versions of a guitar - it was just a place they shifted production of all their high dollar guitars like the J-200 and Super 400 to. Ya wanted a J-200, you could pick from a burst or natural and for an extra $50 they would inlay your name on the board. The only other choice you had to make was which case you wanted to buy to go along with it.

Oh, never mind me I guess I am just in an argumentative mood today. Been trying to shake this nasty summer cold for over a week now.

Gruhn has been posting a lot of relatively modern good condition J-45s for $1250 lately. When they go up, they don't last long but they have been surprisingly good deals lately. Don't see any right now though but have seen 2 or 3 there in the last few months.

This is probably my biggest gripe with Bozeman - its like Baskin Robbins - a J-45 in 31 different flavors. Ya need a freakin' glossary to keep up with all the versions. Just give the the sweet simplicty of a 1940s or 1950s J-45 and forget all the fancy finishes' date=' exotic looking woods, and various doodads. I would much rather see a faithful reproduction of a guitar from a past catalog without the hefty price tag of a Legend Series guitar. Also begs the question of whether a J-45 without a burst can actually be called a J-45.[/quote']

I agree with you on this and can also say the same about Martin.

This is probably my biggest gripe with Bozeman - its like Baskin Robbins - a J-45 in 31 different flavors.

I agree with you on this and can also say the same about Martin.

If there were just one J-45 model' date=' it would be the J-45 Standard. It's called that for a reason -- it's the 2010 analogue of the "just plain, built for the masses" J-45 of the '40s and '50s. If having additional choices bothers you, feel free to pretend they don't exist. Proceed as if the J-45 Standard is the only J-45 there is. Just ignore the other 30 flavors and stick to vanilla. Confusion about differences between the variants and the necessity of choosing among them will vanish -- as far as you're concerned, the J-45 Standard is the only J-45. Just put on those mental blinders and then those of you who don't want choices and those of us who do will [i']all[/i] be happy! It's a perfect solution to your problem! [biggrin]

But remember that you don't get to gripe about features the Standards have that you don't like! You wanted uniformity. The market spoke, and sturdiness, pickups, Rotomatics, etc., won fair and square.

-- Bob R

Zombywoof,

I read your two previous posts and wondered if you were somehow channeling my spirit without my awareness. I've made similar comments here in the past. It would appear that the marketing department rules the roost at Gibson based on the current myriad of models.

I definitely like the thought of offering a single version any model guitar, and that guitar is produced in a way that is the best you could build on the regular production line, based on what you've learned over the years. Basically an evolution that disregards the past experiments that were found to be detrimental to the tone/playability of the guitar. With the exception of say some "student model" guitars, you wouldn't cut any corners when it came to materials. Some models might offer more "bling" than others, and would be priced accordingly. For those that wanted electronics, wider fretboards, different topwoods, different finishes, etc., you could pay an up-charge for these things as a custom order.

So in this case a J-45 would be a sunburst finish. A J-45 with a gold top would simply be a J-45 "custom".

But hey, as long as they're selling enough quality product that people will continue to hand over their money for, allowing Gibson to stay in business, then so be it.

All the best,

Guth

It's a bit of a sidewards twist' date=' to make a J-45 goldtop, but I must say it is quite catching. [/quote']

That's true. I think it looks great though. Sometimes it's really nice to have a great looking guitar that is that little bit different when you are playing on stage.

zombywoof wrote:

Also begs the question of whether a J-45 without a burst can actually be called a J-45.

This is also a fair point and you could make an argument that guitars like this are just a marketing ploy. But how many colours does a Les Paul come in? . . . there are so many great finishes available that appeal to different people. I think if a different finish is done tastefully, as in this case, it's nice to break the mold once in a while.

Archived