Gibson Brands Forums

finally got my g400 monday.... and its damadged.

evol04gt

after much waiting and anticipation and debating, my g400 came monday... opened the box, in wrapped it to see a guitar that was more gorgeous than i even expected... looked it over and almost shed a tear---- the bass side of the neck joint had MAJOR finishing cracks and flaking. inspected neck joint heavily.. no damadge... it appears that there was either excess glue or a bubble in the tinted clear that cause it all to flake off right on the joint seem on the bass side.... completely disgusted me as the rest of the guitar was flawless-- perfect intonation, the neck was straight as an arrow (i do not like ANY bow in my neck {hold down string at first fret and at what ever fret it meets the body.. spec is to have a slight bow, i preffer nearly flat}) so im waiting on a shipping label to come in so i can return it and wait and wait and wait for them to come in from backstock.... sigh...... might be a nother month of waiting...

the part that disgusted me most was staring at BOTH inspection tags (china and USA) there was no chips of the finish anywhere in the box to give me the idea that it happened during shipping with climate changes and wood shrinkage... they inspected the guitar like this.... WTF.... if it were a scratch on the back, i wouldnt be too upset and i would keep it..... i guess what do i expect for a gorgeous guitar for under 500

and what happens to this guitar when i sent it back? i would be more than willing to buy the damadged one for 200 and keep the repacement....but they were not willing to do that.

any one else have this issue?

it only really upsets me because the FIRST epiphone i bought had frets lifting off the neck.. such an obvious problem and it STILL passed inspection...

my whining is over.... cant wait to get my new one though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hopefully it has nothing wrong with it.

i played her for a little bit-- then packed her back up and put her in the box... still waiting on a return label.... but i did get shipment confrimation of a second gibson strap when i only ordered one... lol... so thats not too bad.. lol.... wait-- yes it is.... i have never played a lefty sg and was blown away!!! ive debated on buying an sg for years and could never find one under 1200 (for wine red, not black) after my gibson les paul has broken twice, i cant deal with breaking a 1500 dollar sg due to an OOOOOPS.... lol.... she is a sexy little red vixen! i cant wait to find some PAFs or duncans for it..

after much waiting and anticipation and debating' date=' my g400 came monday... opened the box, in wrapped it to see a guitar that was more gorgeous than i even expected... looked it over and almost shed a tear---- the bass side of the neck joint had MAJOR finishing cracks and flaking. inspected neck joint heavily.. no damadge... it appears that there was either excess glue or a bubble in the tinted clear that cause it all to flake off right on the joint seem on the bass side.... completely disgusted me as the rest of the guitar was flawless-- perfect intonation, the neck was straight as an arrow (i do not like ANY bow in my neck {hold down string at first fret and at what ever fret it meets the body.. spec is to have a slight bow, i preffer nearly flat}) so im waiting on a shipping label to come in so i can return it and wait and wait and wait for them to come in from backstock.... sigh...... might be a nother month of waiting...

the part that disgusted me most was staring at BOTH inspection tags (china and USA) there was no chips of the finish anywhere in the box to give me the idea that it happened during shipping with climate changes and wood shrinkage... they inspected the guitar like this.... WTF.... if it were a scratch on the back, i wouldnt be too upset and i would keep it..... i guess what do i expect for a gorgeous guitar for under 500

and what happens to this guitar when i sent it back? i would be more than willing to buy the damadged one for 200 and keep the repacement....but they were not willing to do that.

it only really upsets me because the FIRST epiphone i bought had frets lifting off the neck.. such an obvious problem and it STILL passed inspection...

my whining is over.... cant wait to get my new one though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hopefully it has nothing wrong with it.

[/quote']

Alot of the online retailers like MF and GC etc...etc...are the same parent company and they have been known to re-ship gear with the original shipping labels still in the box from returned equipment!!! It sucks but it happens quite a bit......part of the risk involved with an online purchase,but fortunately you can return it and try again.8-[

this isnt the case here, it had factory wrappers still on it and perfect and sealed.... zzounds has you write your return number really big on the box, so hopefully that wont happen to someone else..... i just cant get over how great this thing is even if th pick ups arent all that great.... there cant be much mark up on these at all.

after much waiting and anticipation and debating' date=' my g400 came monday... opened the box, in wrapped it to see a guitar that was more gorgeous than i even expected... looked it over and almost shed a tear---- the bass side of the neck joint had MAJOR finishing cracks and flaking. inspected neck joint heavily.. no damadge... it appears that there was either excess glue or a bubble in the tinted clear that cause it all to flake off right on the joint seem on the bass side.... completely disgusted me as the rest of the guitar was flawless-- perfect intonation, the neck was straight as an arrow (i do not like ANY bow in my neck {hold down string at first fret and at what ever fret it meets the body.. spec is to have a slight bow, i preffer nearly flat}) so im waiting on a shipping label to come in so i can return it and wait and wait and wait for them to come in from backstock.... sigh...... might be a nother month of waiting...

[/quote']did you let the guitar warm up. during winter sounds like the guitar was opened too quick[causing finish cracks] guitars should sit at least 5 or 6 hours preferably overnight.

i checked EVERYWERE in the box for piece of the finish... it left the factory this way...

my wife was off sick the day it came, and i told here to bring it in the second the doorbell wrang and not to open it till i got home... (8 hours later) i know all about letting things sit for hours first...my guess is someone grabbed it by the neck to pack it up and thats when the finish cracked and shattered off...

Hello evol,

Feel for you my friend. Bought a Epi from MF last year and sent it right back. Opened the box, the fets were lifting from the neck. If that was the only problem I could have delt with it. When I started to check it out I found an evident crack on the side of the fretboard at the 12th fret that extended into the neck. If memory serves me, their web imformation says their guitars are completely inspected before shipping. I wonder if I can get a job with them as an inspector. Apparently, all they have to do with a guitar is check to see if the guitar has a neck on it. By the way, the weather was very moderate all that week and I did wait 6 hours before I opened it.

I have read so many stories about mailorder guitars arriving damaged. I always purchase my guitars directly from a reputable music store. That way I can give it a thorough inspection and most of all hear what it sounds like.

If there are any minor scratches, I hit them for a discount. After dealing with the same shop for over 30 years, I get good discounts.

I am looking at buying a Gibson 339. The store said they would have to order it in. If it arrives damaged I will negotiate a new price, unless it has been trashed. This way I can't loose.

everynew guitar i have ever bought had to be ordered from manufacture or mail oder as i am a lefty... the one time i didnt, it was a mexi strat..black.. i bought what they had...i would rather do mail order and run that risk because i feel far worse happens to guitars in stores with 50 foot high ceilings and tempurature ans himidity fluxuation day in and day out etc... the only music shop i trust around here went out of business a while ago (where i used to buy my fenders) the only real difference is that if the guitar they ordered came in damaged, they just would have told me instead of me finding out the hard way... it would be the same process...im to the point where i cant just go get what i want without shelling out thousands(being that i like the classics like jazzmasters-flyingv s explorers, teles etc) that im gonna either have them made or buy good knock offs that just wont have the same high resale (like im ever gonna part with any of my babies anyways!!!!!!!!)

What factory did your G400 come from? I bought two '57 LP Juniors (Dae Won factory).. The first one had about a dozen finish flaws and a HORRIBLE set-up... As well as a cracked neck... I blame MF/UPS for the crack, but I blame both Dae Won and Epiphone for everything else... I didn't bother to inspect the other one when that showed up cracked as well...

Hey All,

I will not buy online again. MF has seen to that. I've had a Gibson LesPaul special, Hgwy One Tele,

and 2 mim strats shipped to me screwed up. They did make them right but what a hassle.

I'm lucky to have a store within a hour or so drive Henri's Music that will match all online prices.

Feel for you man with the 400.

Oldschool

I have had the usuall crap from MF as so many others. Returned shipment with a new addrees label, somebody's already refused once. Damaged items forwarded in boxes that were'nt even original packaging. To me their biggest sin is outright lying about reciept of payments in order to constantly collect late fees. How do I know? After smelling a rat; I got a monthly statement and forwarded payment before leaving the post office via priority mail with a delivery confirmation. Next months statement...demanding late fees again. Finally paid off the account and sent the final balance. I got a statement back for $0.00 remaining balance to account: but a charge of a late fee of $5.76 bringing my new total of indebtedness to $5.76 which would probably yield a late fee if it was paid the day before the bill ever hit the mailbox. Never Again.

On the other hand, I've started dealing with ZZounds, and they are seemingly trying to be one of the best going. I ordered my Son's Epi Nikki Sixx Blackbird from them at a time when A. Nobody- (not MF, or GC, or Sam Ash, or Music 123) had one in stock, ZZounds had 30. B. Everyplace checked quoted $100. or more than ZZounds whenever the shipment was to arrive. C. Bass came double-boxed, original packaging, complete, and perfect. D. ZZounds has a new customer.

Wedgie

I have had the usuall crap from MF as so many others. Returned shipment with a new addrees label, somebody's already refused once. Damaged items forwarded in boxes that were'nt even original packaging. To me their biggest sin is outright lying about reciept of payments in order to constantly collect late fees. How do I know? After smelling a rat; I got a monthly statement and forwarded payment before leaving the post office via priority mail with a delivery confirmation. Next months statement...demanding late fees again. Finally paid off the account and sent the final balance. I got a statement back for $0.00 remaining balance to account: but a charge of a late fee of $5.76 bringing my new total of indebtedness to $5.76 which would probably yield a late fee if it was paid the day before the bill ever hit the mailbox. Never Again.

On the other hand, I've started dealing with ZZounds, and they are seemingly trying to be one of the best going. I ordered my Son's Epi Nikki Sixx Blackbird from them at a time when A. Nobody- (not MF, or GC, or Sam Ash, or Music 123) had one in stock, ZZounds had 30. B. Everyplace checked quoted $100. or more than ZZounds whenever the shipment was to arrive. C. Bass came double-boxed, original packaging, complete, and perfect. D. ZZounds has a new customer.

Wedgie

i am pretty happy with zzounds at the moment.... my return label came in on friday.. rushed to ups to return it..... wrote the return number really large on the box on every side... little did i realize that monday was presidents day and there will probably be no chance of that guitar leaving UPS till tuesday...... at least the process is started...

and now i see all of these really sweet models epiphone just put out and im drooling... but im a lefty and am stuck with the basic g400.... in the end, i love the red color, i would just preffer neck binding..... i love the way it looks..

I just ordered a white G400 from Music123. I'm hoping it gets here in one piece. I had pretty good luck with them once before.

I went through the same thing when I bought my ES-135 from MF last year. Sent it back and got a replacement that was damaged exactly the same way. The headstock end of both box showed obvious signs of impact which later revealed a crack along the seam where the fingerboard joins the neck right below the nut all the way to the fourth fret. Well, that was it for me. I sent the second one back and ordered another, this time from Music123 and it arrived in perfect shape.

I made a point of politely letting MF know that I was not happy with their service and that someone in their warehouse was clueless about how to properly pack a box for shipment. I couple of days later I got a call from one of their managers. He apologized and gave me $50 good faith credit from them for my troubles.

I just ordered a white G400 from Music123. I'm hoping it gets here in one piece. I had pretty good luck with them once before.

I went through the same thing when I bought my ES-135 from MF last year. Sent it back and got a replacement that was damaged exactly the same way. The headstock end of both box showed obvious signs of impact which later revealed a crack along the seam where the fingerboard joins the neck right below the nut all the way to the fourth fret. Well' date=' that was it for me. I sent the second one back and ordered another, this time from Music123 and it arrived in perfect shape.

I made a point of politely letting MF know that I was not happy with their service and that someone in their warehouse was clueless about how to properly pack a box for shipment. I couple of days later I got a call from one of their managers. He apologized and gave me $50 good faith credit from them for my troubles.

[/quote']

Hey! They only gave me $30 when I had to send two guitars back! Ah well, I waited until they had a sale on accessories and used the $30 plus the 15% discount to buy a case for my Dot... Cost me thirty bucks in the end.. But that's the LAST thing I'm ever gonna buy from them!

BTW, do you know that Music 123 and Musician's Friend are the same company? Them and Guitar Center are part of the same conglomerate.. Share the same warehouse and everything...

Archived