Gibson Brands Forums

LP + what amp ?

garythekiwi

Hi All,

I'm new here. So what are you playing your beautiful LP through. After all a great guitar through a somewhat ordinary amp will sound....well...ordinary.

Come on fess up and tell or post a pic of your baby or monster stack etc...

You may even whish to tell us why you like the combination etc..

Gary

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I'll start this off then. For practice I mostly use either my LP Std or Custom plugged into a Marshall Zakk Wylde microstack. No need for effects pedals, just tune to drop D and go for it.

When I'm more serious I turn on the biggy. JTM45/100 Marshall stack which is a very pure amp, no gain controls on this baby. I then also use an Uber Metal pedal, Zakk Wylde wah, Boss chorus and Boss Delay pedals. This is a monster sound and can only be used on 2. I do have powerbrakes if I want to drive the tubes at around 7.

My LP 1976 Custom through this combo is ......sonic. From huge sustained blues to B.L.S. thrashing.

Gary

AxeRoom005.jpg

AxeRoom003.jpg

No photos of my amp handy (I'll have to do something about that) But I play through a Traynor YCV-40. A canadian made 40 watt tube combo similar to a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe but much nicer sounding. I pretty much run straight in, but will occasionally use a Cry Baby Wah and a dunlop volume pedal. For a little richer clean sound, I A/B to an Ampeg Jet reissue with tremolo and reverb.

There are a lot of good amps out there to choose from. What tone you want will determine what amp sounds best to you. LPs and a good tube amp is always a great combo. For practice or around the house, the Epiphone Valve Jr is a great amp and a great value. LPs are very versatile guitars and go well with most amps, especially Fenders and Marshalls. I have the Epi Valve Jr, a 1968 Viking tube amp, a Marshall combo and a Fender DeVille. All sound great, and all add something different to my guitars.

I have several amps, including a Blues Junior special edition, Blues Deluxe Reissue, Custom vibrolux, and a 65 Deluxe Reissue. If I were to recommend one it would be the 65 deluxe. You just get such a sweet tone from a Les Paul into that amp.

ampheaven2.jpg

For metal I use my SG straight into my Marshall VS102R (on channel 2), for anything else it's my Les Paul Classic into my Harley Benton GA5H through the 2x12 of the Marshall. With the GA5H I use a tube screamer clone and a touch of chorus, my Tele sounds especially nice through this combination.

P1220051.jpg

I've gone through a Marshall JTM 30, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, VOx AC-15 and now use a '71 Princeton Reverb for practice and small gigs, larger venues I go with a DR Z Maz 38 Sr. - a single 12" Celestion Heritage married to an extension cab with 2x10" Eminence in a sealed enclosure. In front of that I use a Voddoo Lab Sparkle Drive and a moded TS9 Tube Screamer with a Digitech Delay and to confuse things a bit a custom built Germanium Fuzz..

I primarily play blues with either a '59 LP RI or a '60's ES-335. Incredible sustain and endless tone..

I have too many amps and too many combinations..........just ask my wife. O:)

Having said that, the sky is the limit. I personally think a Fender amp and a Les Paul is a perfect combination. I have various Fenders and clones, and the LP seems to propel them into their sweet spot faster. I am a recent convert to Vox amps and I am not that sold yet on the Vox/LP combination, but we will see. Of course, LP's and Marshall amps are a classic. I have a clone JTM45 from Rocky Top amps and a clone 18 watter with a JTM45 tonestack from Robert Hudson/Bluespearl, and these sound fantastic. Marshalls seem to sound a bit better with LP's than do Vox's IMO.............I think that is because Vox amps (or at least my AC30's/AC15's) seem to have more harmonic content and more complexity than Marshalls, and with a LP, it just gets a bit much for my old ears! Ditto with Fenders........sometimes less is more.

Would like to try an old Ampeg one of these days...........anyone use an old VT40, etc with their LP? :-k

I own a variety of vintage & modern amps:

1975 MusicMan Six-Five head

1985 JCM800 100W / 1960 cab,

2004 Mesa Boogie RoadKing head / RoadKing Cab

2006 Rivera Knucklehead 100R head

2007 Rivera Chubster 40

2005 Fender Blues Deluxe RI

While they all have their merits, my favorite LP / Amp combo is LP and Rivera.

The Chubster has been my go-to gig amp in '07.

MT

Man, I feel like the poor kid in school....lol

I run everything I got thru my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I would love one of those sweet JVM amps, but my 40 watt Fender is WAAAAAAAY too much for a bedroom rockstar like myself.

LP Collector......NICE STACK!!

Anyone know what the closest sounding Marshall Amp to the JCM Slash Signature 2555 is ???..

Regards

Flight959

Yes: Silver Jubilee :-({|=

Harmonicchaos, I also have a Micro Cube from Roland, This amp is great and very usefull in certain situations

OK. This is my first time posting pics from Photobucket. I hope I'm doing it right.

Amps002.jpg

I just recently got the VOX AD50DT. I love the B-52 AT212, but it weighs 85 lbs. I'll still lug this thing to gigs, but for practice I now have the much lighter VOX. I'm not much of an effects guy. I only used to have my Dunlap Wah and a cheap chorus, but finally broke down and got the The BOSS ME50 about a year ago. I prefer this, because it's a multi effects processor and not some modeling gizmo. I wanted to preserve the natural tube tone of my B52.

LP Collector......NICE STACK!!

Anyone know what the closest sounding Marshall Amp to the JCM Slash Signature 2555 is ???..

Regards

Flight959

Thank you!

Slash is now playing the 2466 Vintage Modern. The designer of the VM (Steve D) is a frequent poster on the VM forum. He says to the best of his knowledge' date=' Slash's VM is not modified.

Only Slash and his tech know for sure.[/color']

Hey guys, when I buy my new Gibby, Im gonna need a better amp then a Peavey Solo 15 Wat lol.

I have 2 in mind so far:

Vox AD30VT

or

A Roland 20 Wat Cube.

Which would be better. Take this into mind, I wanna buy pedals later on, I dont think Cube's have inputs for them.

Thanks!

Archived