Gibson Brands Forums

les paul knobs

scottish nutter

There are knobs for Gibson's US spec pots, and there are knobs for metric pots. The latter fit Epiphones without a hammer.

How about top hats?

247744.jpg

IMO even golden ones would be nice. Don't forget to buy the pointers =D>

pointers.jpg

I wish you the best of luck in finding the "proper" metric knobs for your Epiphone. I have bought knobs from various venders and none of them were a proper fit. Some of the metric ones being sold are for a small diameter pot and won't fit. I've given up trying to find proper knobs.

I wish you the best of luck in finding the "proper" metric knobs for your Epiphone. I have bought knobs from various venders and none of them were a proper fit. I've given up trying to find them.

I've had good luck with GFS. I just sent some knobs back to stewmac, they didn't fit.

When I went knob shopping I noticed there actually isn't a great selection on colors... You've go amber, gold and black, and then metal.. and you've go top hat or speed.

Personally, I like the black speed knobs, but if it were available I'd consider other more exotic colors.

I've had good luck with GFS. I just sent some knobs back to stewmac' date=' they didn't fit.[/quote']

I drilled-out the holes on the ones I got from stewmac and got them to "sort of" fit.

Also, their shipping costs are freekin' outrageous.

Thanks, I'll try GFS, but at this point I'm not very optimistic.

Edit: I just checked at GFS, they don't advertise any metric knobs........unless I missed seeing them.

It shouldn't be this difficult to get metric knobs. This country is dysfunctional.

Unbelievable! :P

I drilled-out the holes on the ones I got from stewmac and got them to "sort of" fit.

Also' date=' their shipping costs are freekin' outrageous.

Edit: I just checked at GFS, they don't advertise any metric knobs........unless I missed seeing them.

It shouldn't be this difficult to get metric knobs. This country is dysfunctional.

Unbelievable! :P[/quote']

They don't say metric, but they are for the coarse splines on Asian guitars. I used their Alpha pots and they fit right on my Dot. If you want some confirmation shoot Jay and email and he will get back to you. They have a pretty good selection of knobs. In fact I have a set coming tomorrow for my '56 GT.

Sounds random and obvious, but if you can find used Epiphone knobs/accessories that makes it easy. I found a guy replacing a set of black stuff (everything) from his Epiphone on mylespaul.com and it worked out PERFECTLY. Just keep you're eyes and ears open for Epiphone owners customizing their guitars, then send them a PM and see if they're willing to sell the set they're replacing.

Edit: I just checked at GFS' date=' they don't advertise any metric knobs........unless I missed seeing them.

[/quote']

Could be wrong, but I think all of GFS stuff is either Korea or China made...and metric

Drilling Out: I agree. After modding three or four guitars I have now settled for drilling out all the vol/tone knobs I use. I clamp a 6mm drill-bit the vice and *very gently* open out the inner splines. That leaves me with a knob that fits both coarse and fine splines in whatever combination I want to use. In addition: it means that, even for the right knob on the right spline, the fit is not nearly as tight - I've never liked the force need to fit and remove knobs from the pot splines, and the damage that may be caused to pot wipers etc. If you over-do it, a turn or two of PTFE tape will improve the fit. A knob on my ES 137 came from Gibson's quality control with PTFE on one of the splines - if it's good enough for them, I reckon I can just about get away with it.

Old Bob

I ordered the amber speed knobs from Stewmac for my Epi LP custom and they fit fine. I had to slightly expand the split in the pot shaft with a screwdriver, but just enough to go from slip fit to snug. Be careful when expanding the split...it will suddenly break off one side if you apply too much force.

Also' date=' their shipping costs are freekin' outrageous.

Unbelievable! :([/quote']

I got a set of black speed knobs from GFS to replace two of the cracked original ones.

They fit the Alpha metric pots very nicely. Go on easy and they stay on.

Of course...there are a lot of nicer knobs out there...but I don't want to play shepherd..

if ya like them, stay with them. 8-[

Hey' date=' I didn't know you could buy those pointers. Where could I get them for my SG?

[/quote']

I bought mine from a local guitar shop that has lots of small repair parts.

Found this online: http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/guitarknobs_knobpointers.htm

Stew-Mac has them a little cheaper:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Knobs/Position_indicators/Knob_Position_Indicators.html

I just got a set of gold speed knobs for my '56 GT from GFS - they fit perfect. I dunno, I just have not had any luck with speed knobs from Stewmac, it might just be me. I got a couple of black speed knobs for my LP Jr. from Stewmac also. They fit, but they went on really, really hard. I hope I don't ever have to take them off.

I'm with you guys in that I think the speed knobs look better (and are easier to grab) than the top hats. My brother has replaced both his Epi Dot and Epi LP with some of those fancy knurled metal GFS knobs made for teles & they fit perfectly. I'm thinking about replacing the top hats on my LP DC Pro with some gold speed knobs from GFS, too.

Archived