Gibson Brands Forums

Should Epiphone bring back its Fender type guitars?

Years ago, Epiphone offered Fender style solid body electrics of a couple of models. They seemed to be lower quality than most of their models through the years. IYO should Epi make another try at making these style electrics focusing on higher quality ? What models should they offer ? Would you buy them if quality was good ? Could they compete with these models and give Fender a run for their money ? What should be similar/different ?

There are always comparisons being made on the forum. I just figured I will ask the question. For me, I would like to see some competition from Epiphone even though most of you know I play both. I would like to see an Epiphone in the style of the Toranado for example which is not completely dissimilar from the non-reverse Firebird ? When they made a Strat style during the heigth of the superstrat era, IMO quality was an issue and I personally didn't like the explorer style headstock.

Any thoughts ?

Years ago' date=' Epiphone offered Fender style solid body electrics of a couple of models. They seemed to be lower quality than most of their models through the years. IYO should Epi make another try at making these style electrics focusing on higher quality ? What models should they offer ? Would you buy them if quality was good ? Could they compete with these models and give Fender a run for their money ? What should be similar/different ?

There are always comparisons being made on the forum. I just figured I will ask the question. For me, I would like to see some competition from Epiphone even though most of you know I play both. I would like to see an Epiphone in the style of the Toranado for example which is not completely dissimilar from the non-reverse Firebird ? When they made a Strat style during the heigth of the superstrat era, IMO quality was an issue and I personally didn't like the explorer style headstock.

Any thoughts ?[/quote']

I don't know...some were cool like the 1965 Olympic...but some were not so great.

Squier have that market buttoned down now. Better for Epi to pick up out-of-production Gibby models....Nighthawk' date=' Blueshawk for starters.

[/quote']

I would also like to see Epiphone leave this alone. They are the child of Gibson let them stick to making quality Gibson type models most of us can afford and know best.

I also own Fenders, but let Squire/ Fender do what they know best.

When you start trying to to be everything to everybody something always suffers.

Squier have that market buttoned down now. Better for Epi to pick up out-of-production Gibby models....Nighthawk' date=' Blueshawk for starters.

[/quote']

I pretty much agree, and would love to see an Epi Blueshawk and Nighthawks again. My only diagreement is that, IMHO, the only Squires that come close to Epi quality are the Master series.

I may be way out of touch/line, here...but I'd much rather see Epiphone concentrate on what

they do best, and...get their "Gibson" model versions much closer to those specs, re-introduce

some "beloved" models that have been discontinued, in both the standard production line,

and the Elitist line...tighten up (an already improving) QC, and let "Fender" do "Fender!"

Epi has a great nitch, in bringing Gibson models to folks that either can't afford "the real thing,"

OR...for those who just prefer "Epi's!"

"But, that's just MY opinion...I could be wrong?"

CB

"But, that's just MY opinion...I could be wrong?"

I think you've been wrong once before just like me ..LOL! Yeah in the 50's/60's when there was a real struggle for the student/low end market...ie melody maker,musicmaster,olympic etc...etc... it was a different ball game. They still all used quality slabs of wood....not like today.

There isn't much point in Epiphone trying to grab the inexpensive Strat and Tele market. Squier already has it covered and no-one will buy an Epiphone if they can get a Squier for the same price, since with the Squier you are getting the same dubious connection to the 'real thing' that Epiphone buyers get when they buy a Les Paul or a G-400.

There isn't much point in Epiphone trying to grab the inexpensive Strat and Tele market. Squier already has it covered and no-one will buy an Epiphone if they can get a Squier for the same price' date=' since with the Squier you are getting the same dubious connection to the 'real thing' that Epiphone buyers get when they buy a Les Paul or a G-400.[/quote']

I agree. And there are myriad other Fender knockoffs out there that fill the niche. I may seem elitist, but I have always thought of Fender solid-body guitars as being assembly-line tools rather than instruments that are also a piece of art. I always felt that way about Rickenbackers too. If I was going to look for a 25" scale solid body guitar, I'd probably lean more toward PRS.

One piece of alder looks pretty much like another. I'd hate to be the guy who had to identify a Stratocaster in a police lineup.

Well, Fender might be more "assembly line" guitars. But "Rickenbacker?" I don't think so!!!

At least, no more so than Gibson's...or PRS, for that matter. "It's All ****," anyway...as John

Lennon so rightfully point out, about this incessent comparing "mine's bigger (better) than

yours" thing, that seems to (all to often) happen, in this area. Who cares? We all (seemingly)

play lots of different brands, for different reasons. Tone, playability, looks, or just plain "personal

preferences. Oh, I don't know, maybe it's "that time of the month," for me...LOL!

CB

Hi all...got a PM that was supportive, but pointed out, that they kind of expected my "explosion" above,

regarding my feelings about "Ric's," etc. There was no (real) explosion/hostility intended...truly!

Just my (maybe over zealous) passion and defense of a brand I hold dear, as I do Gibson, Fender, Gretsch,

AND...Epiphone, regarding a statement that I just don't think is true. So...please take if, for just that.

I sort to jumped the subject without articulating it. Fender is certainly the assembly line guitar, but I don't see Fender or Rickenbacker as aesthetically pleasing. So I might as well toss Mosrite into that group. Even Gretsch could be more aesthetically pleasing if it didn't use that awful metal-flake paint on the sides and back of its guitars. And many of them are simply painted wood anyway (bamboo yellow, white, and Cadillac green). There's no doubt that Epiphone, Gibson, and Heritage are up at the top of works of beauty.

LOL! Well, Jeff...what can I say. Strat's are one of the most "visually appealing" guitars ever made...IMHO.

And, I'd put my Ric's up against ANY Gibson or Epiphone, any day, in that regard, too. IYHO...which you are

very much entitled to, they may not be as nice ("works of art") as Gibson's and Epi's, but I think a lot of us,

might take (some) issue, with that? But...maybe I'm projecting my OWN aesthetics, AGAIN. Wouldn't be the

first time...and probably won't be the last, either. ;>) LOL!!

CB

I guess we can't agree about everything here. The only one you mentioned that I predominantly agree with you about is Mosrite, although they can be kind of cool. I'm not really fond of the sparkle finishes on some Gretschs, although I think they are good guitars, better before Fender ownership, IMHO, But I have always found Gretsch, and Rickenbacker, astethically pleasing. I think Rics are great guitars both good looking, very well built and their own tone that I like quite a bit. Gretschs, while nice, IMO dont offer anything that isn't already covered by Gibson and Epiphone, not to mention D'angelico, DeArmond, Peerless, Deusenbergs and several other nice Archtops. I've always found the Gretsch solid bodys to be forgetable personally. I also have always loved the look of most Fender solid bodies. Their semis, Coranados were awful IMO and ugly as well.

Bluesstringer...do you Really think the Gretches were better BEFORE Fender took over? ;>O I'm very surprised,

by that statement...unless I'm misreading you/it? I think the finishes, and attention to actual model details,

is much better, after the Fender takeover. The Pre-Fender era Gretches were great guitars, no doubt, but

too often, their finishes were way too "thick"...almost feeling like the guitars were encased in plastic....IMHO.

I have Gretches, American ('66 Country Gent), and 2 Duo-jets, one Pre-Fender, the other after Fender took over,

and the latter one, is (aside from still having a poly finish)

perfect, in detail, fit and finish, to an "original." So, LOL, I don't know...???

CB

Bluesstringer...do you Really think the Gretches were better BEFORE Fender took over? ;>O I'm very surprised' date='

by that statement...unless I'm misreading you/it? I think the finishes, and attention to actual model details,

is much better, after the Fender takeover. The Pre-Fender era Gretches were great guitars, no doubt, but

too often, their finishes were way too "thick"...almost feeling like the guitars were encased in plastic....IMHO.

I have Gretches, American ('66 Country Gent), and 2 Duo-jets, one Pre-Fender, the other after Fender took over,

and the latter one, is (aside from still having a poly finish)

perfect, in detail, fit and finish, to an "original." So, LOL, I don't know...???

CB [/quote']

I really didn't intend to critisize the post-Fender guitars, i just prefer the older one and for me, the tone sounded better. I know i'm in the minority on the forum regarding finishes, and while I love lauquer, I don't really have that much of an issue with poly as long as the necks aren't "sticky"

MHO only - no bashing at all !

Didn't think you were, bro...just was surprised, that's all. But, it's cool! My "Pre-Fender" Duo-jet" had

to have the neck pickup rebuilt/rewound, because it was (origianally) way less output (even with the

posts raised), than the bridge pickup...by 1/2, probably. So I had it rebuilt to "correct" specs, for the DeArmond

(Dynasonic), and now it's great! My Post-Fender Duo-Jet was "Awesome" right out of the case! So...??

Anyway...different experiences/preferences...and that's fine.

Oh, and the "poly" finish thing, was just a detail that wasn't true, to the origianls, not a slam against

the finish itself. I think, when properly applied (as in not to thick) they are great! I still "prefer" the

nitro finishes, but don't really have a problem, with a well done poly finish.

CB

I hate to repeat Ronald Reagan's quote about redwoods, but...."If you've seen one American Stratocaster, you've seen them all". Fender is a perfect example of extreme consistency and very little variation from sample to sample. I'm one of those freaks who likes spalted maple, and hand-rubbed lacquer finishes that show me the effort some guy in Kalamazoo put into the guitar.

Well, that's cool... "To each, his own." I just meant that I (personally) think the original Strat design is quite beautiful,

as well as funtional. "Woods" and finish, on some I've seen is quite nice, too. So, even in that "extreme consistency,"

there is/can be, infinite variational possibilities. But, I respect people's personal preferences.

CB

I personally think that Ric's are some of the finest guitars on the planet. Unique and just plain beautiful. Epi should never ever bring back any strat style guitars...bad mojo for sure.

There isn't much point in Epiphone trying to grab the inexpensive Strat and Tele market. Squier already has it covered and no-one will buy an Epiphone if they can get a Squier for the same price' date=' since with the Squier you are getting the same dubious connection to the 'real thing' that Epiphone buyers get when they buy a Les Paul or a G-400.[/quote']

Granted, I may be the exception to the rule here, but I'd search out an Epi before a Squier. In fact, I've chucked a bid or two down on the Tele copies.

That said, I do think they should stick to what they do best now. They already tried that market. Don't know how well it did for them, but there's probably a good reason they don't do it anymore.

No, Epi should leave the strat & tele copies alone -- who needs another copy of the most copied guitars on the planet?

One of my first guitars was an Epi S-210, strat copy, and it served its purpose, but was nothing to get excited about.

Epi should focus on restoring its original designs from the early to mid-20th Century. Now, that would be appealing to those of us who truly love Epiphone as a guitar-maker.

Archived