Gibson Brands Forums

Wah pedal?

bluefoxicy

I'm looking at a Wah pedal... Dunlop Crybaby. Decided after listening to a bunch of samples that the Dunlop Classic (Fasel inductor) just had a lot more punch and definition to it, and the Dunlop Original sounded weak and dull...

Anyone else familiar with these? I needed a cheap one, I just bought a car...ugh.

I've had a few Crybaby's. My last one was a 535Q. It was the most versatile of the Dunlops I have had. The Dunlops have an okay sound, but I prefer a Vox V848. I know it's a lttle more expensive, but I like a possiblity of a wider throat on a wah, and I wasn't getting it out of the Crybabys that I had.

OT but what kind of car did you buy?

2008 Cobalt LS, new. No ABS, automatic transmission (ugh).

There's a whole huge family drama story behind this about me thinking it's fiscally irresponsible to buy a brand new car, family not helping me to get a well-cared-for used car (inspected, maintenance record, etc), a holy war over transmissions, some severely racist comments from my mom about why I can't ride the bus to work, and I would up with an automatic when I wanted a manual transmission (parents can't drive stick, have tried; I learned in 10 minutes THAT DAY).

The end result is I'm $13,000 in debt and trying to sell the car at the end of the year to get the same one in manual (I'll have the car paid off by then). Which is idiotic, but I damn well want it. I'm at the point in my life whereby examining track record has enlightened me to the fact that I should never, ever, ever listen to my parents or let them affect my decisions.

Edit: a holy war over religions? I meant transmissions...

I have a CryBaby Original with a "vocal" mod and a mid boost, a a 0.022µF cap (a la Dunlop Jimi signature wah) and a yellow Fasel. Got the wah for 50 euros and other parts for 15. Much better than a standard CryBaby Classic that costs about 150 euros around here (1 euro = 1.55 dollars).

Curious here also about wahs with the EPI VJr. in particular.

Looking for perfect world out-of-the-box of most versatile -- best bargain:-k

& believe best choices to be:

Vox V848 (aren't they the experts?)

Dunlop 535Q (beats the classic Clyde, right?)

Ibanez WD-7 (strange looks - does it deliver?)

Help us out please, all of you EPI (VJr.) wah - hooers.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Curious here also about wahs with the EPI VJr. in particular.

Looking for perfect world out-of-the-box of most versatile -- best bargain:-k

& believe best choices to be:

Vox V848 (aren't they the experts?)

Dunlop 535Q (beats the classic Clyde' date=' right?)[/size']

Ibanez WD-7 (strange looks - does it deliver?)

Help us out please, all of you EPI (VJr.) wah - hooers.

I've never used the Ibanez, so I can't comment on it. I had the 535Q and sold it on Ebay. It was okay, but I really didn't like the tones I was getting out of it, even with all of the possible adjustments. I know that is subjective, but I personally didn't like it. The V848 really delivers for me.

I also had a Budda BudWah for a while. The mid-range tones on it were great, but I didn't get enough of the high end of the spectrum out of it. I know a lot of people don't like that, but I do. For me it's the V848 cause I get the tones of the Budda and the high end that I like. I also added a blue LED to it so I can tell when it is on just by looking.

Jim Dunlop Wylde Wah ZW-45 (Zakk Wylde signature wah).

Modified circuitry to deliver a fatter, throathier wah tone.

Legendary Italian-made fasel inductor.

It's the best sounding Wah so far, and i had many including normal Cry-Baby Wahs, Vox V848, Morley Wahs etc.

Did buy it for the way it sounded not the Zakk Wylde connection, i don't even have any music by Zakk.

Peter

I had a Crybaby for a while. It was a volume-sucker and didn't have an adjustable Q. On the other hand, it was cheap...

Of all the ones I've tried, though, I like the Wylde Wah best.

I used to use crybabys and the Sound City version, but in recent years I've switched to Morleys. The optical circuits don't get dirty like the pots on a Crybaby, the sweep is much wider and smoother, and they're built like tanks. Plus they have models that can be used as either a wah or volume pedal --- less stuff to tote, set up and maintain is a good thing!

I have a bone stock Crybaby GCB-95 and a similarly stock to the bone Vox V847. The Crybaby doesnt have a wide sweep, whats worse is, the Vox has an even more limited sweep. Both are great if the guitar is run clean. With overdrive or distortion, only the lower frets produce the wah sound to a very very limited degree. Any notes hit higher past the 8th fret, wah sound is barely audible.

I would dare say both wah pedals suck big time since I most always play with some distortion/overdrive. I highly recommend the Dunlop Dime Wah. My friend picked up one a month ago and I would have to say I was very impressed with the range of the sweep whether the guitar was clean or dirty. Plus, like the 535Q, you can adjust the sweep range to get your desired wah sound/texture.

Thanks lads -- Now you have me pondering two signature versions that I never considered because I do not dig the artists (or their music styles):

Dunlop's Zakk Wylde and Dimebag versions. Plus, I always look with a skeptic's eye at any signature model given that many are primarily marketing gimmicks that cost more.

So, digging deeper: Anyone playing through an EPI VJr. (or other small watt tube amp) care to comment further on either of these two wahs? (range, sweep, tone, likes/dislikes, etc.) Most of you know by now I'm into blues/classic rock (w/modern tweaks) kinds of tones.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby, I'm going to play on:-"

just dont get a Morley... i have one and hate it... but i asked for it for christmas about 12 years ago from my mom so ill never rid of it..

WAIT..your PARENTS cant drive stick?????????????? no one in my extended family is ever ALLOWED to buy an automatic untill they are 18... lol...

i applaud your pseudo independence too... sometimes as parents because we had hard lessons to learn, we feel that our kids will always make the wrong call and that they are wrong becuase we made decisions with different motives and are trying to protect our kids..... honestly, its gonna be hard to sell the car out right.. trading it in will be easier... i couldnt find a buyer with 15k for my mustang that was selling at dealerships for 20. people rarely pay cash and if they do, its hard to get financed anymore. be willing to take a huge hit on the resel or trade in...BUT.... you are young and the future is open... dont live with too much angst.----but if you do, PLAY PLAY PLAy...angst makes better rawk!

if you want a good wah, pick up a crybabie used and learn how to mod it.

just dont get a Morley... i have one and hate it... but i asked for it for christmas about 12 years ago from my mom so ill never rid of it..

aye. I also picked up a Morley wah once since I had this impression that it was a Morley wah that Petrucci (from Dreamtheater fame) used on the Awake album. And I really digged that sound. But when i gave it a test run, I was severely disappointed with it. I returned it for store credit.

My first Wah was a Morley, back in the early '80s. It plugged straight in to the outlet, no adapter needed. It doubled as a Volume Pedal and Fuzz. The Fuzz stunk, but the Wah and Volume Pedal were awesome. I used the pedal mainly for a volume pedal though. The main reason I got ride of it was because it was so big and took up too much room on my pedal board. I didn't think finding another volume pedal would be a big deal. To this day I can't find a volume pedal with as good of a feel as the Morley. It let me ease into a note, rather than having on and off effect, which I genearally get. I've tried several, I now have an Ernie Ball Jr. and a Boss FV-500H. The Ernie Ball is the best I have found, but I'm not dancing in the street over it.

I have tried the new Morley washs though, and I have to agree, I don't like 'em either.

Interesting. Well the crybaby got here and yeah, the range is iffy. I'm bouncing at about halfway up, going up to max, because low end is toooo low.

It also seems to have desensitized my amp. Probably preamping too much; the tubes are overdriving but behaving like an overdrive pedal (i.e. no life, they're overdriving or they're not, instead of reacting to my touch). Odd.

Archived