Gibson Brands Forums

Tell me what I'm missing.

Rap

After playing acoustic guitar fairly diligently for a couple of years, I gave in to my curiosity and purchased an Epi g-310 with a Valve Jr. combo amp ($199 on a MF Stupid Deal of the Day). A few weeks later I added a Korg Pandora mini processor for another $149. I'm completely blown away by the variety and quality of the sounds I am now able to produce (over 100 different effects, amps, cabinets, rhythms, etc. on the Korg plus the tone controls on the epi).

So, now I'm wondering just what's the point of spending ten times as much for a real quality guitar and amp system. I know it would be a different issue if I wanted to play in public, but for my own private use, it's hard for me to imagine needing/wanting more than what I now have. Still, I'd be interested in knowing just what a one or two thousand guitar (and amp) would give me that I'm not getting now.

You start with a quality of tone the instrument produces.

this varys with both materials *including hardware* and set up.

quality of construction being primary to each.

all things being equal as far as construction.. quality of materils shows the next improvement.

the very best tone in the world is something one should take seriously and play with.. because there's a lot of variety in opinion.

But there is no doubt that a solid one piece high quality mahogany body will out produce in tone and volume any multi piece, lesser quality

wood in a guitar.

balance of woods is important.. what body, what neck, cap or no cap.. it adds up.

expert set up from nut slots to fret level crown polish intonation ... can make a difference even on your guitar.

same with electronics.. while you are happy with your G310..I can guarantee you that, for example, pardon my horn tooting, one of my

cards with mounted CTS pots, better switches, first class wiring and cap.. all assembled for free by the way.. will bring your set up to

life!

one of the easiest ways and least expensive to upgrade a guitar is to do the control cavity correctly.

With a guitar costing more you get better finishes... prettier, and usually of higher quality re: thin or whatever.

I tell people be happy with what you have if you like it.. you have to play it and hear it!

and then I ask what they like and don't like.. and suggest what will be the easy/inexpensive way to get more of the good, and less of the

not so good.

I just did a G310.. new caps.. and epi lp studio pups.. and it was a different guitar just for getting rid of the ceramic humbuckers in there.

the caps were the only other addition except some better knobs, and that guitar would clearly be better, richer tone, more dynamic sensitivity, than a stock g310.

setup is just as important though.. a really good set up will produce more tone and more volume and should still be very nice to play.. though the two fight each other.. higher action is more sound.. too high is not good to play.

there's more still.. but you get the idea..

I'm with ya there Rap. My 500.00 dollar Epiphone does everything my 2000.00 dollar Gibson does, yeah the woods different and such, but I'm of the opinion that none of that really matters, like I said, I get damn near identical tone out of an Epiphone Les Paul as I do a Gibson Les Paul, it's all in the fingers, and what your brain tells 'em to do. That said, the Gibson aforementioned will probably be no more after today, I do believe I got a taker for 1400.00, so that's kool.

That is a question that not only haunts guitarists, but also photographers. Some feel that with anything less than a $3,000 lens, they simply cannot get the results they want. I love buying a 40-year-old screw mount Pentax lens for $150 and posting the results. Some folks think that it MUST have been taken with a Leica. And I see stuff that blows me away, taken with a $100 rangefinder camera from 1962.

Anything above Epiphone Elitist is a point of diminishing returns. And if the plain vanilla Epiphone isn't good enough, it can be made to be good enough. Didn't someone in Arizona make Frank Zappa's "Gibson SG" in his garage?

You're not missing anything, Rap. A musician I know who buys and sells tons of gear explained it very well to me. The baseline price for a good electric guitar is $350 - $500 (yes, I have found good guitars for as low as $125, but let's stick with this criteria for now).

You want better pickups? They'll cost anywhere from $30 to $100+ apiece...of course, if they're factory installed, it will cost more than that. Same with finishes, appointments, binding, electronics, etc. You are getting something extra that adds to either the performance of appearance of the instrument, but the cost is exponential.

Let's say you buy a Limited Edition of a guitar model. There are only a certain number of them built. You're going to pay extra for that. You're not getting any extra added features. You're just paying for the privilege to own a 'rare' instrument.

Of course, a U.S.-made instrument is going to cost more than an Asian-made one, due to labor costs.

You, on the other hand, have spent $350 and gotten a set-up that you enjoy and gives you lots of variation to feed your creativity. Congratulations!

It's all up to individual tastes. I used to be a strict Gibson head, but this was back in the days when you could pick up a new Standard Les Paul for under 1 grand. Nowadays, when I walk into a music store, I gravitate towards any Gibsons and Epi's they may have. I find the newer Les Pauls feel and sound much different then the ones I once owned. Not better or worse, just different. I recently copped an '07 Sheraton II. Before buying, I tried a newer Gibson 335. I actually preferred the feel and sound of the Sheraton. Just 'cuz it suited my playing style and needs more than the 335. I love Epiphone archtops and jazz boxes. They have a personality all their own. And they fit my price range nicely. If I ever have the dough, though, I will get a nice 60's/70's era Gibson.

Great responses! Thanks. In edition to the g-310, I currently own five acoustics. With those, I have no trouble identifying differences in tone and playability between a Gibson and a Martin, say. Also learning from those how subjective "good tone" can be. Once I begin to establish more familiarity and a few chops to work with, I expect I'll be visiting local guitar stores to sample other models. Until then, I appreciate whatever insights and opinions you all have to offer. I expect I speak for other noobs as well.

Got to run now, but will be back soon to pursue a few more specific questions from some of the individual posters here.

You're not missing anything. Waaaaay back in the 60's, I had professional-level equipment when I played in a band. Having long-since sold the stuff, I recently bought a bargain setup - a B-stock Dot Studio ($200) and a Hartke GT60C ($170). While not quite up to the level of my former Gibson/Fender setup of the past, it plays and sounds quite good. I did replace the pickups because I wanted a cleaner sound than the "hot" pickups that came standard but that was only $80. While "better" stuff might seem attractive, what I have is plenty good for my personal use, as is yours.

Welcome to the forum. As to your question, I guess there are just some people who are very finicky about their gear/sound. IMO, it like this: If one professionally makes records and/or live performance then I would understand their ranting. But if its just for jamming at home or at friends, then i dont see the point in the pursuit of high end pro gear UNLESS you have a ridiculous amount of $$$ that you just dont know what to do with.

Hi Rap, Welcome to the Forum. Your not missing anything, in my opinion your one of the few people that "get it " If your happy with the sound and tone your getting regardless of the equipment your using your going to be inspired to discover and play music that is more enjoyable to you instead of worrying that with a $1000 guitar it might be "just a little bit better" In the end it's not about what your playing through, it's about whats coming from inside of you. Just play your setup and enjoy yourself!!!

The biggest bang for the buck that I got was a pup change on my Epi LP custom, especially the bridge pup. I installed SD Pearly Gates and the bridge pup gets clean, clear sounds that remind me of a tele (sort of). It can be that clean or Angus dirty if I back off on the tone and overdrive it. The neck pup is probably not all that much different, at least not as distinctly different from the epi as the bridge pup.

I haven't tried any other pups. The 490/498 set in my Gibby LP Studio are screamers. I have never even thought about changing them out. In fact, I tried to find a set of 490/498's for my Epi on Ebay and everyone wanted as much as new SD's, so I bought the SD's.

I agree with all the posters who have said if you're happy with your tone than so be it. I will say this though. If you do decide to upgrade later, the biggest difference maker will be a GOOD amp. You would be surprised at the tone you can get with a Epi and good amp compared to a GIbby and a crappy amp. Just a thought.

Archived