Gibson Brands Forums

Ohh that smell......

Svet

Was thinking about this thread, and Just opened the case to my (Assembled in USA) Sheraton...

smells new, still....though it's 3 years old. There's just nothing like that nitro new smell, on a wonderful guitar.

I need to play it, more often! It really is "Awesome," looking and tone, too!

As to "smoker's" guitars (or anything else)..."Lord Have Mercy!" (I too, am a reformed smoker....38 years ago, and

never missed it, a bit!)

CB

Can't you smell that smell?

Ohh that smell,

The smell of death surrounds you!

My guitar doesn't have a smell really, or at least I don't ever remember it smelling, except for the gross metallic smell on your fingers after playing with dirty old strings.

acoustics with rosewood back/sides always smell vaugely "spicy" to me. never decided how i feel about that.

Rosewood has a very strong 'perfumey' smell. Hold a piece on a belt sander and the aroma is overpowering. Nothing like it.

I quit the nicotine habit 8 1/2 years ago and the one thing I really noticed was how your sense of smell comes back. Now, if a guy sitting six cars ahead of me on the freeway farts, I have to change lanes to avoid having to smell it.

Smell is a very powerful sense... with strong memory connections. Nothing freaky about that at all. I personally think the solvent smell of a freshly-lacquered Gibson smells finer than any cologne.

And it is strongly attached to our long term memory. Whenever I smell the perfume "My Sin", I immediately think of my 2nd grade teacher in 1958. Night blooming jasime reminds me of my next door neighbor's yard from 1960, and gardenia takes me back to the plants growing under my bedroom window in the 1950's. I believe that smell is more closely attached to memory than any one of our other senses.

I'm a heavy smoker. My olfactory sense is pretty much dead. Or maybe it just indicates Korsakoff's pshychosis' date=' MS or some other primo disease. I'll let you know when I quit.[/quote']

I quit in 1978 after 12 years of smoking. What a hard habit to kick! But it will bring back your sense of smell and taste. My father smoked cigarettes, pipes, and cigars about 15 hours a day. By the time he was in his 60's, he had no sense of smell, so the only enjoyment he got from food was salty, sour, bitter, or sweet.

Smelling F holes huh guys????

My '65 Epi Cortez acoustic is very unique.. In the '70's I was quite fond of Patchouli oil and would carry a small bottle in the case....One day I open the case and WOW. The lid was off the bottle. To this day when I open the case its the same. Not only does the room I'm in smell like Patchouli, the entire house does as well.

My Strat, particualarly the neck, smells like Pierre Cardin cologne, which replaced the Patchouli. I'm also a smoker, but none of my guitars smell of smoke that I can detect. The Strat does have a cigarette burn at the headstock under the 6th string.. (I used to smoke non-filtered Gitannes).

The '76 Martin smells like spicy old wood. WHAT A TOPIC.................J

I'm a heavy smoker. My olfactory sense is pretty much dead. Or maybe it just indicates Korsakoff's pshychosis' date=' MS or some other primo disease. I'll let you know when I quit.[/quote']

While I haven't quit smoking completely yet, I'm only smoking half of what i did before the recent heart issues, yeah, I know.... Offhand I would have to say that I prefer the smell of my Takamine EG523SC, but I have to admit I'm resisting the temptation to go smell every other one of my guitars now thanks to you guys !

I just finished reading Eric Clapton's autobiography. Interesting reading, but much of it dealt with all of his demons: alcohol (first and foremost, drugs, and cigarettes. The strong message is that he wasted most of his prime of life being addicted to something. All of the wonderful things he experienced were marred by his having been drunk most of the time.

I just finished reading Eric Clapton's autobiography. Interesting reading' date=' but much of it dealt with all of his demons: alcohol (first and foremost, drugs, and cigarettes. The strong message is that he wasted most of his prime of life being addicted to something. All of the wonderful things he experienced were marred by his having been drunk most of the time.[/quote']

I really want to read it but have'nt picked it up yet. Is it worth it Jeff ? I've only heard primarily negatives about it. I've followed some of what you say through the years because of my own recovery (30) years.

I just finished reading Eric Clapton's autobiography. Interesting reading' date=' but much of it dealt with all of his demons: alcohol (first and foremost, drugs, and cigarettes. The strong message is that he wasted most of his prime of life being addicted to something. All of the wonderful things he experienced were marred by his having been drunk most of the time.[/quote']

Yup.......replace one substance with another is all he did for years. I saw a lot of drug and alchohol abuse when I did lighting and sound tour work in the 80's and many of these guys were hero's of mine in high school....it was a real eye opener for me and showed my a side of the industry that can be absolutely brutal and very seductive at the same time.

I really want to read it but have'nt picked it up yet. Is it worth it Jeff ? I've only heard primarily negatives about it. I've followed some of what you say through the years because of my own recovery (30) years.

He is refreshingly honest about all of his insecurities and shortcomings. He does not put himself on a pedestal. It must have taken a lot of courage to admit that, once he had stolen Patty Boyd from George Harrison, he lost interest in her. But Patty Boyd wasn't the only thing he lost interest in. It seems like every time he got himself into a successful band, he lost interest and moved on.

It isn't a tell-all book. He only tattles on himself. And he does admit that he overcame his demons with the help of God, and that has to make some people cringe. Heros aren't supposed to kneel and submit to God.

Two things worth knowing: why Cream broke up (friction between two of them), and that both Clapton and I thought "I shot the sheriff" was a lousy song and we were both surprised that it shot to number one.

Oh, and he has way more guitars than I do. He got nearly a million dollars for his 335 at an auction, and auctioned off another 99 of them.

I like the smell of a room full of new amplifiers. It's kind of like a new car smell.

I've never noticed any particular smell from any of my guitars.

Ah yes' date=' the smell of new tubes in a valve amplifier really conjure up moments of snow filled evenings by the mantel. My previous stereo amplifier was glass based and used eight KT88's or 6550's and six 6dj8/7308's with a pair of 5687 cathode followers. After a retube that thing sure put out some odors! It looks as though there are a lot of Martin owners who also love that smell! My EPI acoustics and Archtops smell more like glue than anything else. And Jerry, if you love the smell of cedar you ought to smell a cigar humidor! Even with a load of stogies the woody smell is ever present!

[img']http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x263/svetkt88/Guitars/stereoelectronics2.jpg?t=1214864660[/img]

Picture420.jpg?t=1214864759

Archived