Gibson Brands Forums

Ohh that smell......

Svet

What is your favorite smelling guitar? I know this is an odd question but man, when I open the cases of some of my guitars the smell grabs me along with the wonderful visual and auditory cues. My Martins in particular have a warm inviting aroma. The PRS does as well. What’s your favorite?

Okay' date=' this was some kind of a joke to see if you could get people to sniff the sound holes of their guitars, right? Well, okay I did and they smell like... wood. I can't imagine that an electric smells like anything.[/quote']

Well, not the polyester-finished ones. However it's an entirely different story with a lacquer-finished Gibson.

Would you think me a freak if I said I regularly smell the new-wood smell coming from the F-holes on my elitist 335 when I'm playing it? I have issues...

Smell is a very powerful sense... with strong memory connections. Nothing freaky about that at all. I personally think the solvent smell of a freshly-lacquered Gibson smells finer than any cologne.

Okay' date=' this was some kind of a joke to see if you could get people to sniff the sound holes of their guitars, right? Well, okay I did and they smell like... wood. I can't imagine that an electric smells like anything.[/quote']

As RotcanX stated it's not a joke. It has something to do with the lacquer and in the case of the Martins in think they use cedar bracing which adds to the flavor of the finish's aroma. My poly finished Epis and Fenders don't have a smell. The Nitro finished Fender's and Gibson's I have aren't as pronounced as the aforementioned Martins or PRS. But there is something about that Gibson R9 that just feels so good to the nose. I forgot to mention the Eastman’s also have a real strong and pleasant aroma as well!

My favourite was my LP Custom after I got it back from the local luthier. The guitar and the case both smelled fantastically of sawdust, glue and who knows what else he works with all day. It was so intense that once you opened the case after a while the whole room would smell the same.

The LP has long since lost the odor but the case still stinks a bit.. :)

Smell is a very powerful sense... with strong memory connections. Nothing freaky about that at all. I personally think the solvent smell of a freshly-lacquered Gibson smells finer than any cologne.

My Gibson Hummingbird Artist still has that strong odor. My J45 I bought new but had been hanging for some time so very faint smell, My J160e new but smells like the Home Depot lumber aisle.

I like to open the case on that Hummingbird and smell for a few seconds before taking out and playing.

I have an old Trutone that has lived a long and very hard life. It sounds like it learned from every barroom guitar that ever lived, and I think it lived in a vineyard or a wine cellar once upon a time. The tone is too good to throw away, and a neck reset is just about 400% of its resale value, so it now has the old screw through the heel trick. Its still equipped with nut and bridge off other guitars (that don't match), bent tuning keys and gears so stiff it bruises your fingers to tune it up. The frets are visibly worn about half way through at the far end of the neck, but the smell is a combination of sawdust, red wine, lemon furniture polish and temptation. It is one of those guitars that I will do anything to keep it going except spend money on it. Of course, if I ever did the guitar body would probably collapse in shock. I swear its picture is in the dictionary under "beater", and it deserves all the playing it can get until the frets are shot and the neck bow gets uncorrectable. Even then it should make a fine slide guitar.

I have an old Trutone that has lived a long and very hard life. It sounds like it learned from every barroom guitar that ever lived, and I think it lived in a vineyard or a wine cellar once upon a time. The tone is too good to throw away, and a neck reset is just about 400% of its resale value, so it now has the old screw through the heel trick. Its still equipped with nut and bridge off other guitars (that don't match), bent tuning keys and gears so stiff it bruises your fingers to tune it up. The frets are visibly worn about half way through at the far end of the neck, but the smell is a combination of sawdust, red wine, lemon furniture polish and temptation. It is one of those guitars that I will do anything to keep it going except spend money on it. Of course, if I ever did the guitar body would probably collapse in shock. I swear its picture is in the dictionary under "beater", and it deserves all the playing it can get until the frets are shot and the neck bow gets uncorrectable. Even then it should make a fine slide guitar.

On the negative side of the equation' date=' every now and then I get a guitar for repair or tune-up that obviously belongs to a heavy smoker. Yuck. Disgusting.[/quote']

Funny you should mention that. I was into the dentist's office today getting a temporary crown put on and the dental assistant reaked of smoke. I used to smoke, so I'm a little more sensitive to that odor.

What is your favorite smelling guitar? I know this is an odd question but man' date=' when I open the cases of some of my guitars the smell grabs me along with the wonderful visual and auditory cues. My Martins in particular have a warm inviting aroma. The PRS does as well. What’s your favorite?[/quote']

My Epiphone Texan from 1967. Never lost that nitrocellulose "new guitar smell" until my chain-smoking brother (R.I.P.) started playing it.

Archived