Gibson Brands Forums

Questions about bridges

dbirchett

I have just purchased a 2007 Unsung Sheraton to which I am going to add a B7 Bigsby. I am thinking that I want to also add a roller bridge. I kind of went through this quandry when I added a Bigsby to my Guild X-170 but that used an arch-top floating bridge so I could replace the whole unit (although finding one low enough to fit was somewhat problematic -- oh well, different problem, different forum).

Anyway, I am somewhat new to Gibson/Epiphone guitars and parts and this whole issue of different bridge sizes and incompatibility is a little confusing to me so if you would bear with me and answer a few questions, I would appreciate it. My other guitar player tried to help me understand last night and helped but I don't know if I really have it down.

1. I have read in posts that Sheratons seem to have a problem with bridge incompatibility but this seemed to primarily be Samick Sheratons. Is that correct? What is the post spacing on the Samicks? Mine appears to be 2 29/32" (extapolating because my ruler only goes down to 1/16" marks).

2. There appear to be two sizes of Gibson Bridges both of which use the 2 29/32" post spacing. One uses skinny posts and has thumwheels that go up and down on threaded posts and the other uses thicker posts and has a straight screw slot at the top. Am I correct that these are the ABR-1 and the Nashvile systems?

3. Is there a way to mount an ABR-1 bridge on a Nashville style guitar? What about the other way and put a Nashville style bridge on an ABR guitar (whithout pulling the studs of course)?

4. If I look at aftermarket bridges from the various parts sources (StewMac, GFS, WD, etc) are they likely to be compatible as long as I stay with the right post size?

5, For those who have put on a roller bridge are there ones that are recommended or not? I have heard complaints in the past that roller bridges can be tone/sustain suckers. What has been your experience?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Let me add another question, Why the @$*& do they have to make these things incompatible with each other?

Is there a way to mount an ABR-1 bridge on a Nashville style guitar? What about the other way and put a Nashville style bridge on an ABR guitar (whithout pulling the studs of course)?

None of these will fit an Epiphone. The Epi has much larger studs.

If I look at aftermarket bridges from the various parts sources (StewMac' date=' GFS' date=' WD, etc) are they likely to be compatible as long as I stay with the right post size?[/quote'']

Yup.

Let me add another question' date=' Why the @$*& do they have to make these things incompatible with each other?[/quote']

That's because there's still one country on this planet whose inhabitants are too stupid to grasp the metric system.

dbirchett wrote:

Is there a way to mount an ABR-1 bridge on a Nashville style guitar? What about the other way and put a Nashville style bridge on an ABR guitar (whithout pulling the studs of course)?

None of these will fit an Epiphone. The Epi has much larger studs.

dbirchett wrote:

If I look at aftermarket bridges from the various parts sources (StewMac' date=' GFS, WD, etc) are they likely to be compatible as long as I stay with the right post size?

Yup.

dbirchett wrote:

Let me add another question, Why the @$*& do they have to make these things incompatible with each other?

That's because there's still one country on this planet whose inhabitants are too stupid to grasp the metric system. [/quote']

Holy moly... that was a lot of work to offer NO HELP whatsoever! dbirchett is asking for help on a bridge for an Epi and you, who are a supposed "expert", offer nothing but snide comments. If you don't have something constructive to contribute, please keep silent.

Don,

Somewhere in my mass of guitar parts is an ABR-1 bridge. Regular Tune-o-Matic (non roller). Next time you unstring your guitar, let's see how compatible it is, and if we can replace the post/thumbwheels. We won't demamge your axe, I assure you.

As for roller bridge being a tone/sustain sucker, you heard my Peerless last night. I thought the tone was great. Sustain though? I thought it was as good as before...

Holy moly... that was a lot of work to offer NO HELP whatsoever! dbirchett is asking for help on a bridge for an Epi and you' date=' who are a supposed "expert", offer nothing but snide comments. If you don't have something constructive to contribute, please keep silent.

[/quote']

That's a bit unfair. The answers were brief, but correct. How are they snide? Was it the "metric" remark? :)

Thanks for the advice. What was the problem with it?

There is a constant buzz on the bass-side. In my view it's more due to the construction then the way it's setup. I think this bridge tries to facilitate a proper setup by way too many ill-fitting parts and as a consequence the tone suffers. It's really bad, I can really hear the tone die on me.

I'd help more if I knew anything about archtops...

There is a constant buzz on the bass-side. In my view it's more due to the construction then the way it's setup. I think this bridge tries to facilitate a proper setup by way too many ill-fitting parts and as a consequence the tone suffers. It's really bad' date=' I can really hear the tone die on me.

I'd help more if I knew anything about archtops...[/quote']

Thanks, I was really considering this one.

Guitarfetish.com has conversion bushings if you want to use the gibson-size bridges' date=' and they also have full metric bridges.[/quote']

Are these the ones you are writing about?

yhst-50206111187217_2007_1351470

Will they work to adapt this bridge (which I already have) to my guitar?

yhst-50206111187217_2007_20711627

There is a constant buzz on the bass-side. In my view it's more due to the construction then the way it's setup. I think this bridge tries to facilitate a proper setup by way too many ill-fitting parts and as a consequence the tone suffers. It's really bad' date=' I can really hear the tone die on me.

I'd help more if I knew anything about archtops...[/quote']

Actually, I'd have to disagree...maybe you got a bad one...I've not had a problem with mine, and while there are a bunch of moving parts, once I set it up, my tuning and tone were stable.

That's because there's still one country on this planet whose inhabitants are too stupid to grasp the metric system.

You call my countrymen stupid? You can kiss my ***, you bitter little twit of a man. What has your country ever contributed to the world?

Well, there went the neighborhood. Though it probably is more accurate to say my politician's have never grasped the need to play well with others. In that respect, they resemble most other politicians around the world. As a vet, I've come to realize most of the world's problems are caused by a bully in a position of national power who thinks he's entitled to "just a little more" than anyone else. This is compounded by other slimy types who think they can grab a crumb or two before the inevitable crash and burn. Economics, politics, war and the legal systems of any and all countries of the world are simply the methods by which rich people take money from others. Its still just bully tactics, over and over again.

And to think I make my living as an Engineer and Sr. Architect???? How fukking stupid my employers must be if I fooled them like this, eh?

I have always had a lot of respect for you, and your knowledge of guitars and other things.

But that was a VERY ignorant and incorrect thing to write Spud.

I learned the metric system in 3th grade. Didn't like it then. Don't like it now. And I teach it at school.

I'm glad we never adopted the system.

But to say that, people in the U.S. are too stupid to grasp the metric system is, well.....STUPID!

And just plain wrong. Don't really understand the meaness of the remark.

I never realized you thought all of us Americans as so "stupid."

I have always had a lot of respect for you' date=' and your knowledge of guitars and other things.

But that was a VERY ignorant and incorrect thing to write Spud.

I learned the metric system in 3th grade. Didn't like it then. Don't like it now. And I teach it at school.

I'm glad we never adopted the system.

But to say that, people in the U.S. are too stupid to grasp the metric system is, well.....STUPID!

And just plain wrong. Don't really understand the meaness of the remark.

I never realized you thought all of us Americans as so "stupid."[/quote']

+1.

People in other countries hate Americans for being ignorant because they know nothing about us.

You know, there is a very good reason why most countries think poorly of Americans. I mean come on! I live in America and I will often say stuff like how stupid we are to not be able to comprehend metrics XD If Americans replaced their cocky-ness with intellect, I am sure they would switch to the metric system.

Archived