Gibson Brands Forums

GFS PICKUPS?

marcbc

Hey guess im thinkng about putting new pickups in my 98 sheration. i hear alot of good stuff on here about gfs pickups. i want to get a rock/blues sound/ like the zeppelin/black crowes/drive by truckers i think the zebra 59' look really badass. waht do you guys think. ive only heard the stock pickups is there a big diffrfence? also i live pretty close to a small music shop do places like that install pickups?

I put some GFS Vintage 59s in 3 of my guitars, Sheraton, Dot, and G-400. Yes, there is a big difference over the stock pickups. I found the neck pickups on Epiphones to be muddy. The GFS Vintage 59 neck pickups are very smooth, and the notes have a much better clarity. Not muddy at all. The bridge pickup is bright and clear as well, without making you feel like you have an ice pick in your ear. A well worthwhile investment. They should work very well for what you are looking for.

I'm sure the shop would install them for you, call the shop first to make sure they have a tech that would do it for you.

They really aren't that hard to do, if you have any solderig skills.

One of my brothers just finished up routing out a tele for me & installed a GFS P-90 on the neck & a Mean 90 in the bridge. Can't wait to get it. Next' date=' I'm thinking about having him do the same thing with minis.[/quote']

Mini's in a tele are down right aweomse.

One of my brothers just finished up routing out a tele for me & installed a GFS P-90 on the neck & a Mean 90 in the bridge. Can't wait to get it. Next' date=' I'm thinking about having him do the same thing with minis.[/quote']

I have a tele with the dream 90 in the bridge and the GFS classic TC alnico in the neck. Sounds freakin amazing.

GFS has been good for the money in all respects.

BTW now that I remember, I might have a pair of Mean P90s and a Crunchy PAF bridge pup for sale (replaced them with Gibsons), if anyone is interested -- although I think I'll try to get rid of them here in Finland first.

From what I see' date=' you be wrong. It says "Seller accepts returns. 30 day merchandise credit"[/quote']

Yes they do. Rec'd a faulty Vintage '59 -- exchanged ebay purchase, no hassle.

And does the V '59 ever rock-it right. Saved a 'junk' asian guitar with it. Highly recommended (1 more time before yet another GFS thread disappears) and many here seem to think these pups bring the standard Epiphone Korean/Chinese models up to par with, dare I say it, Gibsons?

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

i have a dream 180 in the bridge of my sheraton, and i make it do crazy, crazy things, though it isn't exactly what you are looking for. it is bright but not icepicky (depends on your amp settings). great note separation, especially under high gain duress.

Hey guys

GFS pups really are inspiring for a guitarist on a tight buget(arent we all!!)

Put a lil puncher XL modern vintage in the bridge of my tele and boy did it start singing. http://store.guitarfetish.com/lilpuxlnewfi.html

Believe what the website says because the hype is true,it gave my guitar a new area of sound to play with as well as retaining the trad sounds of a vintage tele and no matter what i do the cycle hum has totally disapeared

if you are thinking of getting a GFS pup and are put off by the cheap price ,as some people believe 'you get what you pay for', in this situation you get far more than you pay for .....so go for it!!!!

Sorry to hijack the thread. If I'm looking for a GFS version of Seymour Duncans Hotrod set(SH-2/SH-4) Which GFS pickups would you guys recommend?

BTW Not sure of the SH-4. I like the beefed up PAF sound of the SH-5 Custom better.

(Gas Jones, if you're chipping in proclaiming your LUV for the SH-6 I'm gonna fly over and kick your butt. LOL)

Sorry to hijack the thread. If I'm looking for a GFS version of Seymour Duncans Hotrod set(SH-2/SH-4) Which GFS pickups would you guys recommend?

BTW Not sure of the SH-4. I like the beefed up PAF sound of the SH-5 Custom better.

(Gas Jones' date=' if you're chipping in proclaiming your LUV for the SH-6 I'm gonna fly over and kick your butt. LOL)[/quote']

You can send them an email and get a response very quickly. I'm sure GFS will advise you what p'ups that best fit for what you are looking for I would have to say the best customer service (guitar wise) that I have had. They ship quick and answer any question quickly and accurately.

I have 3 GFS pups so far (GFS Retrotron Hot Nashville Overwound Humbucker bridge on my Tele Special, Dream 180 Vintage-Voiced Humbucker Black on Black bridge on my Squier 51, and a Repro Vintage Alnico Tele Neck Pickup and love all 3. I also purchased a Xavierre XV550 semi-hollow body guitar, well worth double the price. I was thinking of throwing some gold 59s on my LP Ultra II once I get some spare time to work on my guitars again.

Me too' date=' except I'm going to put a Dream 90 in the neck position on my Lerxst™ Dot.

I put a Vintage '59 in my LP Jr. which sounds great.[/quote']

Heheh... Thanks for the plug BillyBob... =P~

Marcbc... I have GFS Vintage '59s in the original "Lerxst Dot" and they sound killer! Can't go wrong with those pups.. And you can install them yourself even if you don't have soldering skills... I'm proof of that!

How about GFS' for that other famous solid body guitar?...got one that was born south of the US border and I'm not sure which GFS' to use to replace the three non humbucking pickups...

I can highly recommend the superstrat wiring kit with a calibrated set of lil' killers or with a set of overwound vintage pups.

Archived