Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone custom shop. What's the difference?

24axman

a stupid ?:

What is the difference between the Epiphone custom shop, and a regular Epiphone?

I've seen many of them, but do not know what the difference is.

Are the set up different?

Are they made in the same factories?

Are they made by the more experienced luthiers?

Are they made to higher tolerences?

Are they special editions?

I have a few custom shop Epi's. The first thing that I notice about the are the necks/frets. The frets are all very smooth on the custom shop Epis' I have. VERY easy on the hands. Also, the custom shop EPI's I have all have something different about them that you don't find on regular production Epi's. I have a custom shop g400 with factory Emg 81/85 in it. I have an alleykay with a different paint job that a regular kat. I have an epi studio LP in a burgandy color that you can see the wood grain the top coat is so light. Every one is different. they are all unique.

a stupid ?:

What is the difference between the Epiphone custom shop' date=' and a regular Epiphone?

I've seen many of them, but do not know what the difference is.

Are the set up different?

Are they made in the same factories?

Are they made to higher tolerences?

Are they special editions?[/quote']

No; yes; doubt it; no; yes.

A lot of the CS guitars are being made at Unsung... I guess they are better suited to smaller production runs while they are using the EE plant for the regular stuff. I'd be wary of using the term 'luthier' when describing the people that build these guitars. 'assembly line drone' is probably more precise.

The main difference is in the duration of the production; usually CS instruments are a 'one off' production event although occasionally a good seller can be re-issued.

In all honesty the term "custom shop" is a little rediculous when talking about mass produced asian guitars....yeah it's a limited run....limited to several hundred thousand! The only thing custom about it is the CS label on the back of the headstock. Epiphone doesn't have a "custom shop" in the same sense of the word as Gibson or Fender.

No; yes; doubt it; no; yes.

A lot of the CS guitars are being made at Unsung... I guess they are better suited to smaller production runs while they are using the EE plant for the regular stuff. I'd be wary of using the term 'luthier' when describing the people that build these guitars. 'assembly line drone' is probably more precise.

The main difference is in the duration of the production; usually CS instruments are a 'one off' production event although occasionally a good seller can be re-issued.

Agreed on all this, but my Pelham blue G400 is an EE. In the process of selling it.

So there are some "custom shop" guitars being made at the EE plant also.

Kewl. Thanks for the update. AFAIK those were YEC guitars made originally for the Japanese market.

No problem.

Having owned both Gibson and Epiphone SG/400 through the years I agree the EE ones are the best of the Epiphones with the right knob placement, shape and feel. I bought this to make an Elliot Easton, yes I know his has the custom HS and inlays, and put on shallers and burstbuckers but I just don't like them in this guitar and should have gone with 57s.

The guitar is down in Danville Il at my buddies store for sale. I never added the Maestro or had the nut changed to graphite just lost interest after not liking the BBs.

lol.. yeah sure...

These are authentic photos from the Unsung plant. May be a bit slow to load.

47.jpg

48.jpg

58.jpg

61.jpg

Notice the Custom Shop jackets on the people making the Limited Editions? =P~

a stupid ?:

What is the difference between the Epiphone custom shop' date=' and a regular Epiphone?

?[/quote']

When you deal with marketing you have to define experienced vs what. They are probably not lying that the CS stuff is made by the people working there for longer than the guy just hired sweeping floors.

Just like Select Spruce = Plywood.

It all depends on how you spin it.

Those photos make me want to burn my Epi. I wish I had never seen them! ;)

Midget, curious, what makes you say that? I only ask because I had just the opposite impression--a lot more hand crafting than I've seen in similar pics from Fender and Rickenbacker plants.

Bill

Midget' date=' curious, what makes you say that? I only ask because I had just the opposite impression--a lot more hand crafting than I've seen in similar pics from Fender and Rickenbacker plants.

Bill[/quote']

I've never seen a guitar assembled, and had romantic visions of something akin to a vintage woodworking shop with luthiers that resemble Geppetto... and smoking pipes of course. Oh well.

Archived