Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Ultra

JefferySmith

The Ultra is a beautiful guitar. I've seen some with quilted veneer that looked like a mass of roiling flames.. just awe-inspiring. It also has many interesting and much appreciated innovations; the tummy cut on the back goes a long way to improve the overall comfort of these Les Pauls. The chambering is a nice concept as well and while it doesn't really lighten the guitar that much, I do believe it adds to the overall resonance and tone. This is because they fill the guitar with true Honduran air before attaching the top since Honduran air is so much easier to get than the Honduran mahogany. Okay, I'm joking there but in all seriousness the Ultra is a great buy. Nice slim neck too. While the Ultra II is a little too gimmicky for my tastes, the original Ultra is one of the nicest axes Epi has produced and just goes to show what Epi is capable of when they get their **** together. Would be nice if they offered some other colour options though.

There was a member on the old forum that had one of these and he just adored it' date=' couldn;t say enough good things about it. Then he traded up to a Gibson and we kinda never heard from him again. :- [/quote']

Sound like he had a crush on it. At $700 street, it is one of the pricier of the non-Elitist line.

Yep; that was TedVanFrehley that had the man crush on his Ultra. I think old Ted mentioned it in every post he made. Never said another word about it after getting his Gibby. Seems like he got a Studio model. For all purposes the Ultra was probably the better playing of the two.

My guitar teacher turned me on to the Ultra II. To put it in perspective...this guy (my teacher) is 62 and has played, taught and recorded professionally since he left Nam in the late 60's. He currently owns two Gibson L-5's, a Pat Martino, a few Gibson Les Pauls, a Benedetto, and a couple D'Angelico's from before the company was sold. He also has a few classical guitars that value around $6,000 to $10,000 each.

He came across the LP Ultra II several months ago and flipped out about how great it is. The feel, the playability, the sound, craftsmanship...basically everything about it.

I bought one several months ago and have not touched another guitar since. In fact, my PRS Custom 22, previously my main axe is now on e-bay because the sound of it is eerie and thin compared to the LP Ultra. (Thanks goes out to Ron G and the Epi forum for helping to make that happen, have one bid so far).

Once I had the Ultra, I thought the alnico pick ups were a little muddy on the bass end so I put in SD jazz and JB pick ups. Not sure if this step was really required, I may go back to the original neck pick up. The nanomag is very nice and has a full unique and very clear tone. Don't think it's truly an acoustic sound but it is very nice.

On the down side, some of the parts seem cheap, like the three way switch and the jacks. These can be changed easily but they are not bothersome enough to bother with. Also, it was, and still is challenging for me to get use to the typical Gibson style volume control. Seems weird how the volume controls interact with each other. Even more so when the nanomag is included. So it takes a few seconds to get everything adjusted just right, but if you want to lower the volume level you have to readjust everything and you can't get the same sound quality. The solution is a volume pedal, which I may buy.

Mmm....I'm of the opinion that Epiphone should start developing the Ultra III based on recent innovations.

epigxwemg-91hums.jpg

This prophecy model (shown in EX form) has a lot of innovations in terms of access, and playability. Furthermore, the EpiActive pickups (link to Dr. Epihone HERE: http://www.epiphone.com/Doctor/epiactive.html ) are pretty cool in how they work as passive pickups once the battery runs out.

I think all the tools are there to justify developing an Ultra III based on the Prophecy body, and with the inclusion of the Epi Active pickups working in conjunction with the nanomag. THAT would be one hot, smokin' guitar...

I also wanna see the option of a nanomag on some other epis.

I want a G-400 with an nanomag, and since that little piece at the end of the neck is always covered on SGs ANYWAY, there's no reason not to have the upgrade available for another 100-150 bucks.

But an G-400 ultra, with a quilt top, epiActive pickups, nanomag, more comfortable(if not historically accurate) beveling, visible neck/headstock binding, would be awesome. Not sure if you could do anything like chambering on an SG body, maybe not for weight reduction, but you may be able to improve the acoustics...

Maybe even throw in some more goodies, since you already have a battery in the guitar, like sustainer pickup(which would be REALLY fun to use with the nanomag's acoustic sounds), and since sustainer's usually have something like a single coil for actual output, why not a sustainer/P90 in the neck? That'd give all arrangements of tones.

I have GAS for a nonexistent guitar now...

Yep; that was TedVanFrehley that had the man crush on his Ultra. I think old Ted mentioned it in every post he made. Never said another word about it after getting his Gibby. Seems like he got a Studio model. For all purposes the Ultra was probably the better playing of the two.

Couldn't agree more! IMHO the Ultra is a fine guitar. (Wish they'd put that tummy cut on a few more models. Very comfy- my bro's Twisted Sister has one & I really like it).

BTW, Ted musta sold his Studio since he's been MIA at the Gibby forum for a long time.

Also, (while we're wishing for stuff) I believe ALL humbucker guitars should have a coil-tap option.

Couldn't agree more! IMHO the Ultra is a fine guitar. (Wish they'd put that tummy cut on a few more models. Very comfy- my bro's Twisted Sister has one & I really like it).

BTW' date=' Ted musta sold his Studio since he's been MIA at the Gibby forum for a long time.

Also, (while we're wishing for stuff) I believe ALL humbucker guitars should have a coil-tap option.[/quote']

And phase switch, and series/parallel.

Jimmy page, how dare you have to challenge our statues quo!!

I own a Les Paul Ultra, and love it. It's the first Epi Les Paul I kept that long. I found the 2 Classic and the Custom I had, to heavy...in weight and sound... This Ultra replaced my American Startocaster as main guitar. Especially because of is narrower neck, and the shape ressemble a lot a "C" shape neck like Fender. Soundwise, it's not as clean as a Strat, but not as dirty as a regular Les Paul. The fact thas it's almost an hollowbody without f-holes, makes it very light, and sound a bit different than the usual Les Paul, but it's so nice to play a nice Les Paul keeping your shoulder in good shape for a whole evening. Mine is a 2006 made in Korea ( Saein if I'm right, serial # starting with an I ) I think the newer ones are made in China...

I was only going to add....the Ultra I looks cool...but I think that scheme would look really nice in a vintage sunburst...

I'm not fond of any of the "faded" sunburst finishes, or "faded" anything for that matter. The recent spate of faded and worn finishes is surprising to me. They don't look good.

I'm not fond of any of the "faded" sunburst finishes' date=' or "faded" anything for that matter. The recent spate of faded and worn finishes is surprising to me. They don't look good.[/quote']

Oh, I don't know.....but to be fair about this...most of the stuff that's targeted for me as a consumer....

Cherry sunburst.....and more cherry sunburst...and still more cherry sunburst....

:-s

I was kind of thinking like the setup on that 'ol Zephyr there to the left.......

Oh' date=' I don't know.....but to be fair about this...most of the stuff that's targeted for me as a consumer....

Cherry sunburst.....and more cherry sunburst...and still more cherry sunburst....

:-k

I was kind of thinking like the setup on that 'ol Zephyr there to the left.......[/quote']

Now, that finish I do like.

ProspectBDSide.jpg

Archived