Gibson Brands Forums

Which Epiphone Dot ?

tt

Hi dear Epiphonists!

I am regularly from the other , single coil boat :-({|=

However, now i want a HB instrument to balance my tele-mania/world. I want to buy the Dot but cannot really decide between the 2 - either the real vintage style Natural or the mostly liked Cherry finish Dot (dont feel the click against ebony or the sunburst with yellow). What they look like in real life, apart from photos, specially the Natural? I have tried and seen the cherry which was actually really cool and nicely finished and sounded far from bad within its price range. But the Natural , on the other hand , looks really old school as well, and perhaps remainds visually better the 335 earliest days

So, which one to choose? I am so 50:50 stuck that need outside help from experienced to draw me to either the Cherry or Natural ... H E L P ! O:)

rgds,

telbert

Here's what you do. You flip a coin, deciding heads will be the natural finish, tails will be the cherry finish. When the coin falls and you are OK with the result, then you have decided. If you think "Oh no, I really didn't want that one", well, then have also decided.

Pearls of wisdom fall easily from morning lips.

Only thing to do is play as many Dots as you can, whatever the color.

You may be surprised how different they can sound, unplugged. That's

the test! Find one that resonates the best, unplugged. The "electric"

sound can be modified, to your exact taste, later. Once you find that tone,

unplugged, if it doesn't happen to be one of the colors you want, at least

you'll have a comparison, for one that you do. Good hunting!

CB

not much to find to try - Dots available only through online stores in Estonia, was lucky to find a person to introduce me his Cherry he´d ordered from thomann.de - I was impressed both the construction/finish and even sound for that price. But though the veneer´s grain pattern on natural seems pretty dull, the Natural would be cool as well ... anybody got a Natural , or even both ?

• 3 months later...

Hi again and happy the 2009th!

You wouldnt believe it , I still havent got my dot - NO NATURAL available in EU! =P~

I have contacted Thomann.de, Musicstore Proffessional ( de) , Woodbrass.com , Guitarguitar.co.uk , digitalvillage.co.uk , dv24, and even more , plus check the ebay-s avery day ( would get a used one without flaws as well). The result is ZERO , realistic availability of Dot Natural in EU - ZERO

First was Thomann.de , they took the money but , after months of questions and answers, they finally rose hands and refunded the money,

Then the closest was guitarguitar.co.uk . they took the money, but eventually the same thing as Thomann ( actually still waiting for refund)

So, here I am, still dotless.

The closest available thing is the Vintage SUnburst, thinking of getting that one and stripping the poly and making a natural myself... =D>

Try www.andertons.co.uk

Not sure if they ship to Estonia but last time I was in there they had Dots in natural in stock. Also www.guitarvillage.co.uk - definitely got stock.

Both are very reliable and helpfull.

wiggy: thanks for the help! i wait answers from both of them ( the andertons seem to be out of stock though)

alanhindle : well, i sometimes (quite rarely though) dont ( i mean, useful enough). in such case(s) i usually try to find people who have had the physical experience. so, logics brought me into this forum on my particular case

I too wanted a natural or cherry dot (I probably would have gotten a black, one if it came available). The decision was made for me last September when I found a cherry dot (built in June '08) with case on Ebay for $325. If the natural or black came up for that price I would have gotten it. The natural would look sweet with a tortoise pick guard on it. Good luck finding your Dot!

- Shaun

Guest alanhindle
alanhindle : well' date=' i sometimes (quite rarely though) dont ( i mean, useful enough). in such case(s) i usually try to find people who have had the physical experience. so, logics brought me into this forum on my particular case[/quote']

As the earlier responders implied, choice of colour is a personal thing, so I thought access to plenty of photos may help you a bit more.

in the beginning i doubted in the natural , because i had (and have still) not seen tha natural in real life and i thought that the laminated wood would not be able to show the grain pattern.

now, experiencing that the natural dot seems impossible to buy in estonia and online shops have problems with either the stock availability or shipping it to EE, i want the dot natural more and more every day of course #-o

• 2 weeks later...

Unbelievable, negative results everywhere i´ve tried

thomann.de

musicstore.de

digitalvillage.co.uk

amazon

woodbrass

andertons

dg247

guitarguitar (these ones pissed me off, long story in v e r y short: took the money, held it , finally refunded, no guitar)

ebays (uk, de, mainly, constantly)

Must be a "karma thing " :-) ...

anybody want to sell a used one?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived