Gibson Brands Forums

Played the Traditional Today

FennRx

So I went to GC and played the new Les Paul Traditional. And I have to say, it was pretty sweet. The TRC is stupid and I don't much care for the speed knobs, but I could change both of those things.

The 57 Classics in this baby rock! I used to think that the BB Pros were the way to go, but I have changed my mind. 57s or BB1/BB2 for sure. If you're in the market for a new LP, pass on the Standard and buy the Traditional.

TRC = truss rod cover

and it was Iced Tea. Something about the color wasnt...err....normal. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it was different. But not in a bad way....i really like the guitar.

I go to every GC I pass by around Chicago and they allways have the same old Gibson

guitars, Its becoming boring. Its like thay will only get a current model in if an old one sells

Now I can understand a Mom&Pop store doing that but GC?

Okay I give up the personal service at GC but at least give me current product to try

an buy.

I asked Naperville, Arlington Hts, Crystal lake stores about a Traditional and they ALL

did not have a clue about that guitar!

Are you listing Customer Service? Mass market DOES NOT WORK.

Thanks Fenn, you are not helping with this GAS. I thought I wanted a 61 SG Reissue, then you throw this up. D*mn, now I want one of those. I absolutely love the 57s, thats what come on the SG and my R7. Maybe I should start playing the saxaphone, I've never heard of anyone having a bad case of SAS. B)

I'm gassin for that one. Good thing is I've finally decided how to handle my dilemma about whether or not to install my pickguard on my 04 LP Standard in Desert Burst. Get the Traditional and have one with and one without.

Don

Lamest excuse to buy another guitar ever... do you expect your better half to fall for that excuse? :-({|=

Im GASsing about this Traditionals too... man why does Gibson make such beautiful guitars that also happen to sound kickass?

Lamest excuse to buy another guitar ever... do you expect your better half to fall for that excuse? :-({|=

Im GASsing about this Traditionals too... man why does Gibson make such beautiful guitars that also happen to sound kickass?

*In Business Mans Voice* Because your money is important.

57 Classics' date=' UNCHAMBERED (sells it for me) Plekd. Come on AXE, who can resist?

Silver. BUY IT. Screw SG's Man![/quote']

Maybe its not chambered but it still has weight relief holes, swiss cheese.... So it's not like a true solid body LP either... but you knew that right?

Yeah but thats how real Pauls use to be made. The holes wouldnt make much difference anyway would they?

That aside' date=' thats how old school Pauls were made...and should be.[/quote']

Les Pauls up till about '82 where full solid bodies. Around '82 Gibson started to drill those 9 holes (weight relief) in them. Then late '06 Gibson put sound chambers into the guitar instead of the 9 holes. So "Real Les Pauls" have not been made since '82 with the exception of the Custom Shop guitars and even some of them are fully chambered.

Thus, they are all Les Pauls and they are real. There is just different models with different features. This way Gibson pleases more of the comsumer base and can sell more guitars.

Just my .02

I agree 100%.... All Les Pauls, made by Gibson, are real Les Pauls... You have people that will argue that one is better than the other. The original Les Paul was solid wood.... So if you want to spend crazy money and have back problems later on in life find a solid wood Les paul... My 2007 chambered sounds just as good as a solid and is a pleasure to play.

9 holes' date=' how much difference is that gonna make? 1 Kilogram? Thats hardly any at all.[/quote']

Well on a 10lb guitar that is 20% of its weight removed. Is that a bad thing, I do not know. You stated "real Les Paul" and 9 holes drilled is not a "real Les Paul" as it is different from the original layout. WIth that said, no 2 Les Pauls (same make/model/year) will sound the same. That is why I do not get caught up in the chambered is no good, 9 holes are better debate, or the get a Custom Shop as they are real Les Pauls.

I bet in '82 others hated the 9 holes and said it sounded different and to bring back the real solid body version. Maybe they did or was it their imagination that caused it to sound different. I really do not care. All I know is play as many as you can and pick out the one that sings to you. Rather it be a Custom Shop solid body, the weight reliefed 9 hole version, or the chambered model. There are so many Les Pauls to chose from that one should be able to find one that they truely love.

One last comment. I love how people say "Buy this model instead of this model". Offer opinions but do not dictate what people should buy as others will more than likely have different taste in what they are looking for.

Archived