Gibson Brands Forums

Hey, Ed Roman said it, not I

JefferySmith

though I'm not a big rap/hip-hop fan, I've heard some pretty catchy tunes in that genre of music:-"

But let's be honest, some of the rock n roll today isn't exactly setting the world on fire either. Everything for the large part is processed noise IMO. The new age rocker isn't as polished as the old schooler, and that's because there's no value in putting on a great live performance. And let's not kid ourselves, the new-age rocker likes to embellish themselves just as much as any hip-hop/rap artist, which is probably the reason why I've become disinterested in the music that's been/being released over the last 8 years.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, at any rate...back to Epiphone and quality issues...Shady Ed was right, in that Epi quality is better and getting better still, all the time. As to "Today's Music,"...can't say the same for it, unfortunately. The more "techno" and overprocessed it gets, the less I (and I'm only speaking for myself, here) like it! I love guitar bands...and a good keyboard player, to round it out.

Don't mind "horn bands," (Early "Chicago," and "Blood Sweat & Tears," etc.), either. Terry Kath (Chicago) was a MONSTER Tele and SG player! Even Hendrix loved him!

CB

Oh dear.....I dropped the "r" bomb did I not?

Not all rap is bad........some of it I actually enjoy ( some female rappers have really great voices)

I wish the leftovers of TLC, AND Lil Kim would move in with me.

Well poo......now, i'm gonna have to try some new amp settings and altrenate tunings

to see if I can make these Epi's "hip-hoppy" or not.........maybe i'll try some of

(Egads) Kid Rocks early stuff.............somebody talk me down!!!!!!!!!!

"Epiphones definitely would not work for hip hop/rap. None of those guys can play any instruments. If you're dedicated enough to learn how to play an instrument well, rap isn't very appealing."

I suggest you look up the Roots (Masters of War at the Dylan tribute at Lincoln Center with the Hendrix machine gun jam played on a vintage

epiphone comes to mind) , and to a lesser extent, the Beastie Boys...as with almost any type of music, the

record companies have pushed a certain sound and attitude on the listening public...plenty of people involved

in rap and hip are talented and know how to play instruments...

"Epiphones definitely would not work for hip hop/rap. None of those guys can play any instruments. If you're dedicated enough to learn how to play an instrument well' date=' rap isn't very appealing."

I suggest you look up the Roots (Masters of War at the Dylan tribute at Lincoln Center with the Hendrix machine gun jam played on a vintage

epiphone comes to mind) , and to a lesser extent, the Beastie Boys...as with almost any type of music, the

record companies have pushed a certain sound and attitude on the listening public...plenty of people involved

in rap and hip are talented and know how to play instruments...[/quote']

OUCH!!!!!!

In most Roman statements there's usually about 1 part truth, 5 parts E.R.'s opinion and 5-10 parts complete B.S. I see all of those factors in the statement at the top of this thread.

Don't ever get too caught up in anything he says, whether you tend to agree with it or tend to disagree with it. E.R. looks out for E.R. period. I see this Epiphone statement more as a slam on Gibson than a compliment to Epiphone. And by slamming Gibson (specifically with his design comment), he's actually building up his designs. We're supposed to ask, "Gee Ed, where could we find top drawer guitars designed for today's hard rockin' music???" He would then proceed to point you toward his showroom...

#-o

In most Roman statements there's usually about 1 part truth' date=' 5 parts E.R.'s opinion and 5-10 parts complete B.S. I see all of those factors in the statement at the top of this thread.

Don't ever get too caught up in anything he says, whether you tend to agree with it or tend to disagree with it. E.R. looks out for E.R. period. I see this Epiphone statement more as a slam on Gibson than a compliment to Epiphone. And by slamming Gibson (specifically with his design comment), he's actually building up his designs. We're supposed to ask, "Gee Ed, where could we find top drawer guitars designed for today's hard rockin' music???" He would then proceed to point you toward his showroom...

#-o [/quote']

His showroom of the top guitars in the world is not a who's who of guitar manufacturers. Most of the names I haven't heard of. I assume that makes them so expensive as to be out of reach of the buying public (like the Mosrites).

Agreed. And his rants against other manufacturers could be used to discredit a large percentage of his own inventory, regardless of the brand.

I was specifically referring, though not very clearly, to his own line of Quicksilver guitars which in his own humble opinion, are the holy grail and most certainly designed for "modern music". Ironically enough, these guitars are generally rated no higher than mediocre by those who've played them. :-k

He also plays off of the idea that if the guitar has amazing flame/quilt and a ton of inlays, it must be a great guitar... #-o Pretty wood and finish? -yes Great guitar? -not necessarily.

I shant refer to him by name but "he" is the Malcolm McClaren of the guitar world, hell, next he'll be saying the Broadcaster was all his own idea.....

He can say whatever he likes about his own range of guitars (TARTS HANDBAG springs to mind- tribal inlays?! Barf) and he can discredit Epiphone and Gibson all he wants....

But riddle me ree, do any of his range of guitars look as cool as a Sheraton? Anyone? No? Thought not. And I can double hand tap on my Sheraton.... though I choose not to!

But riddle me ree' date=' do any of his range of guitars look as cool as a Sheraton? Anyone? No? Thought not. And I can double hand tap on my Sheraton.... though I choose not to!

[/quote']

+1 on the Sheraton II............my Mrs. says its the SEXIEST guitar she's ever seen!!!!!!!!

(and she's been around guitars for 23 yrs now)

Ever notice when Ed sells a used guitar it's been expertly set up to perfection by his masterful artisans....and anybody else who sells a used instrument is a "dumpster diving Ebay maggot"????? Yeah sure Ed!

Every time before he sells a used guitar he travels to the highest peak of the Himalayas for it to be blessed by Tibetan monks' date=' then hires a posse of sorcerers to fine tune the guitar to his high expectations of musical excellence. But that's not all default_eusa_wall.gif If at this point he doesn't believe the tuners are good enough, he'll have seymour duncan install a pair of titanium tuners made by chuck norris himself.

Ok wow.... super bored at work. Don't know Ed Roman the musical genius, but it sounds like he invented music so you should all pull up a chair and listen closely to his wisdom.

I know I still have a half a case left over myself!!And why arn't they playing the" Kermit the frog" tape for you' date=' with your new ( and very nice) avatar? Stan.[/quote']

That green kind of grows on you. And I'm half Irish (the maternal side, the one with all of the deaths due to cirrhosis). I think my next Les Paul will be green.

Ahhh..."The Beatles!" Everyone here' date=' knows how "I" feel about "my boys!" I think a lot of our

Parent's generation felt uneasy about them, as well as "Rock and Roll" in general, in the beginning..

with some exceptions, my Mom being one, but came around to appreciate them, later. And, let's face it,

if The Beatles made them nervous, The Rolling Stones must have given them a coronary! LOL! I loved

(and still do) both...for their differences, as well as similarities.

CB[/quote']

I have a 45 of She Loves You on Swan records hanging on my wall. One of my sister's friends gave it to her (this is about 1966), and it completely blew my tiny little mind in 1966. Between the Beatles and The Monkees, there was no way I wasn't going to end up in a band eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

I really wish it wold dissapear sitting at work listening to the guys my boss signed is rather annoying all you hear is hoe this' date=' big rims that, money i have, i am a bad a**, im gonna kill you, shake your a**. It is an embarassment to the music industry as a whole for people to call it music but like i said it does take a lil skill to get those beats right. Metal head till I Die. I to love the old rock from the 60s, 70's,80's and some 90's. CCR is what opened my eyes to what music is all about. MHO the greatest band to ever grace a stage is in fact Creedence Clearwater mother f'n Revial[/quote']

Well I agree CCR was a great band but really it was just one man. The other members of the band where just there to fill up the stage.

That's the one, Ricochet. I wrote my reply as "kinda makes sense" because I'm far from an expert on guitar construction; just searched on "guitar volute" because I didn't know what one was. The SG-type guitars are appealing to me, but concerned about purchasing one when I saw the photos of the broken headstocks in the recent topic. Searching on this subject led to the Ed Roman rant which caught the attention of my young (uh...) and impressionable mind. From Internet reading, current Gibson SG's do have volutes, not sure about Epiphone G400's.

Archived