Gibson Brands Forums

Hey, Ed Roman said it, not I

JefferySmith

"I really hate to say it but Epiphones are built to a higher level of quality than many original Gibson guitars. The only thing wrong with the Epiphones are the basic designs are so old that they don't lend themselves to today's music."

I agree with the first part (at least in the case of Elitists). I don't agree with the second sentence. I don't know what he means by "basic designs" here. The guitar, or the pickups? And today's music? What does that mean? I spend much of my time trying to emulate yesterday's music. If he means that Epiphones are not good for heavy metal, I can live with that.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Ed Roman is in love with Ed Roman...so, anything he says, I take with a large dose of

BS repellent. But, I can't argue with the evaluation of a lot of what Epiphone is doing, quality wise,

these days. As to "Today's music"...what IS that, exactly?! The only thing I see different, is

more synth/keyboard stuff, use of "loops, etc., and maybe more "processed," and/or "over-production!"

So...???

CB

I'm sure he means exactly that. I don't lend myself to today's music either (whatever that might be - there are lots of genres in today's music). My gawd! I must be like my father! He thought anything that wasn't Frank Purcell, Ray Coniff, or Glenn Miller was noise. In my estimation, I find it hard to listen to metal for any length of time. There is so much distortion and effects that you don't have to play well. The noise covers up any botches you make and it all sounds like part of the groove.

I'm sure he means exactly that. I don't lend myself to today's music either (whatever that might be - there are lots of genres in today's music). My gawd! I must be like my father! He thought anything that wasn't Frank Purcell' date=' Ray Coniff, or Glenn Miller was noise. In my estimation, I find it hard to listen to metal for any length of time. There is so much distortion and effects that you don't have to play well. The noise covers up any botches you make and it all sounds like part of the groove.

[/quote']

I know the feeling. My father despised the Beatles and mocked them every time he heard them (he was a Nixon-loving Republican as well). I try to keep an open mind, but am pretty much glued to the oldies stations and before (classic blues). If the Beatles music can be played by symphony orchestras, Chet Atkins, and classical guitarists, it must be music that one can whistle. If I can whistle it, it's not memorable enough for me.

Ahhh..."The Beatles!" Everyone here, knows how "I" feel about "my boys!" I think a lot of our

Parent's generation felt uneasy about them, as well as "Rock and Roll" in general, in the beginning..

with some exceptions, my Mom being one, but came around to appreciate them, later. And, let's face it,

if The Beatles made them nervous, The Rolling Stones must have given them a coronary! LOL! I loved

(and still do) both...for their differences, as well as similarities. "Today's" music...to me...it's all "Today's

Music!" All that's new, incorporates what went before, to some extent, anyway. So...I still don't know

what "Ed" was referring to. "Metal" and or "Shredding," can be done on any guitar! There are some

Jazz and Country players that are awesome "Shredders!" So...???

CB

Ed probably never had to pull the bridge bushings on an epi.

's all I'm saying.

well, not quite.

Beatles forever!

TWANG

I dig NIN though and a fair amount of metal...but for me, the real metal starts with Johnny Burnette and the Rock N Roll Trio, runs through the Yardbirds, spins out around the psychedelic stuff *(if you've never heard Bubble Puppys Hot Smoke as Sassafrass, or The Music Machines Talk Talk, you should!)*, then hits Led Zep and sticks!

The only "todays music" I haven't tried with an Epi would be Rap/Hip-Hop, and Techno.

They work fine for Blues,Jazz,Rock,Metal,Alternative,Indie,Rasta/Ska,Outlaw,and Country(when my wifes not home).

Can I survive NOT being able to play Hip-Hop, and Techno? I would think so.

I would imagine that with the right amp settings, these could be played also

but I don't have the WHY figured out yet.:^o

The only "todays music" I haven't tried with an Epi would be Rap/Hip-Hop' date=' and Techno.

They work fine for Blues,Jazz,Rock,Metal,Alternative,Indie,Rasta/Ska,Outlaw,and Country(when my wifes not home).

but I don't have the WHY figured out yet.=D>

[/quote']

Epiphones definitely would not work for hip hop/rap. None of those guys can play any instruments. If you're dedicated enough to learn how to play an instrument well, rap isn't very appealing.

The only "todays music" I haven't tried with an Epi would be Rap/Hip-Hop' date=' and Techno.

but I don't have the WHY figured out yet.=D>

[/quote']

My Epi seems to work great for most genres of music as well. My only hope is that Epiphone will produce more American built guitars in the future.

My only hope is that Epiphone will produce more American built guitars in the future.

So you're prepared to pay a triple increase in price? I think most people are not and if they can, would end up with buying Gibson anyway.

Epi's better for the older style music, thats just fine with me! I don't listen to this new music anyway. I have tons of cd's by the Beatles, Stones, Beach Boys etc. that I listen to at home and my car. The groups from the 60's and 70's did a lot more with their music than the groups today with a lot less equipment to get the sound they wanted. Todays music is all about effects, the 60's was about pure music.

Lay gets right to the point!

*G*

When I first started reading the newsgroups, Ed was a huge topic, and I was totally unfamiliar with him.

Took me about fifty posts to even know where he was or what the argument was.

I guess there's no bad publicity though, cause he sure has been plugging along for a long time.

I don't know what he means by todays music... metal? epis have lots of high output pups.. even emg actives and epi actives..

so that doesn't seem to be what he's getting at.

Besides, todays music is all of it, aint it?

I mean.. what has a tune got for Ed.. 24 hours or something?

TWANG

So you're prepared to pay a triple increase in price? I think most people are not and if they can' date=' would end up with buying Gibson anyway. [/quote']

If it has the same quality as a JL Rev????....ABSOLUTELY!!!

I would pay $2500 for a American built Crestwood deluxe re-issue without blinking.

I have no idea who Ed Roman is. But he's almost wrong. Epi's are phenomenally well built most of the time. My JP and Sherry II were perfect. My LP Ultra...not so good. The bridge, tail pieces, nut, fretboards, tuners all seem to be good enough.

However, the electronics are crap on all of them. The pick ups are muddy and weak. The rest of the electrical stuff is cheap garbage.

Here's the good part, buy an Epi for a few hundred, put a few hundred more into it, and you have a really good guitar at 1/3 the price of a GIbson. Not quite a Gibson but pretty close.

Epiphone is great for somebody who wants professional equipment but can't afford $2500. And is great for the player who wants many different styles of guitars. But if you have some spare cash, and only need a couple axes, a really nice Gibson is the way to go.

Ahhh..."The Beatles!" Everyone here' date=' knows how "I" feel about "my boys!" I think a lot of our

Parent's generation felt uneasy about them, as well as "Rock and Roll" in general, in the beginning..

with some exceptions, my Mom being one, but came around to appreciate them, later. And, let's face it,

if The Beatles made them nervous, The Rolling Stones must have given them a coronary! LOL! I loved

(and still do) both...for their differences, as well as similarities. "Today's" music...to me...it's all "Today's

Music!" All that's new, incorporates what went before, to some extent, anyway. So...I still don't know

what "Ed" was referring to. "Metal" and or "Shredding," can be done on any guitar! There are some

Jazz and Country players that are awesome "Shredders!" So...???

CB[/quote']

I was pretty fortunate because my parents loved the Beatles right away. I was 4 years old when they were on Sullivan and recall all the excitement as everyone sat around the TV at my grams house. My teenage cousins were all buzzed about seeing them and I was just a kid wondering what the fuss was about. The next day my Dad brought home Meet The Beatles and soon after a small drum kit for me to learn on. I remember listening to our local Am radio station one day in early 1970 and the DJ saying word out of England was that they had broken up. Even at 10 years old I thought they would get back together someday. Man time marches on huh?

I bought a Dean from Ed years ago' date=' he's a piece of work, but it's a great Korean guitar, and it was packed for shipping better then any guitar i've ever purchased. Stan.[/quote']

Ever notice when Ed sells a used guitar it's been expertly set up to perfection by his masterful artisans....and anybody else who sells a used instrument is a "dumpster diving Ebay maggot"????? Yeah sure Ed!

i do not know who this ed is more than likely becuase im only 22 but if he is referring to metal that is why i am buying my Epi. My buddy plays in a metal band and he plays a SG and also plays a Jackson Dinky and the Epi sounds better than the Jackson. As far as the comment i read above with the rap hip hop artist not knowing how to play an instrument i have to disagree. I myself do not listen to ©rap but I know of a few rappers that play guitar and it also takes a lot of skill to make the beats the rap to. For the ones that make their own that its. I work in a a small studio in my town and we have signed a few rap artist and it takes some time and an ear to get those beats down.

i do not know who this ed is more than likely becuase im only 22 but if he is referring to metal that is why i am buying my Epi. My buddy plays in a metal band and he plays a SG and also plays a Jackson Dinky and the Epi sounds better than the Jackson. As far as the comment i read above with the rap hip hop artist not knowing how to play an instrument i have to disagree. I myself do not listen to ©rap but I know of a few rappers that play guitar and it also takes a lot of skill to make the beats the rap to. For the ones that make their own that its. I work in a a small studio in my town and we have signed a few rap artist and it takes some time and an ear to get those beats down.

I'm surprised that, 20 years after its inception, rap is as popular as ever. I thought it would disappear along with breakdancing.

I'm surprised that' date=' 20 years after its inception, rap is as popular as ever. I thought it would disappear along with breakdancing.[/quote']

I really wish it wold dissapear sitting at work listening to the guys my boss signed is rather annoying all you hear is hoe this, big rims that, money i have, i am a bad a**, im gonna kill you, shake your a**. It is an embarassment to the music industry as a whole for people to call it music but like i said it does take a lil skill to get those beats right. Metal head till I Die. I to love the old rock from the 60s, 70's,80's and some 90's. CCR is what opened my eyes to what music is all about. MHO the greatest band to ever grace a stage is in fact Creedence Clearwater mother f'n Revial

Archived