Gibson Brands Forums

"Lost" Beatles Track

RichardLionhart

I'm betting it's another Revolution #9.... One was good enough, if it wasn't good enough for the Anthology, I'm betting it's...... well....... bad

Now, I'm still wondering if anyone ever did come up with a track of Lennon singing "World Without Love". I know at one time there was a one million dollar bounty if anyone could come up with it and it was verified by speech recognition experts.

Lennon refused to sing " Please Lock Me Away".... can't blame him either. I do wonder if it exists or ever did.

Well although it might be fun to hear....I tend to think George Martin knew it was sh#t and didn't include it on record for a reason. I know that's not a popular thought to some of you Beatles fans but hey even the fab 4 could produce crap........and it was at the height of their drug use after all.

Well although it might be fun to hear....I tend to think George Martin knew it was sh#t and didn't include it on record for a reason. I know that's not a popular thought to some of you Beatles fans but hey even the fab 4 could produce crap........and it was at the height of their drug use after all.

Let me start by saying, I'm a huge Beatles fan. "PaperBack Writer" was the reason I began to play guitar.

Saying that, they have proved already that they can produce crap. I give you "Why Don't We Do It In The Road" as exhibits A to Z.

Let me start by saying' date=' I'm a huge Beatles fan. "PaperBack Writer" was the reason I began to play guitar.

Saying that, they have proved already that they can produce crap. I give you "Why Don't We Do It In The Road" as exhibits A to Z.[/quote']

If that ain't enough there's 'Ob la dee ob la da', 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer', and a few others that make me cringe every time I hear them.

I remember a few years ago 'Bungalo Bill' came on the radio & my (then) 15-year-old nephew looked at me as if to say "and you're trying to tell me these guys are great?". It's pretty hard to defend that crap.

Let me start by saying' date=' I'm a huge Beatles fan. "PaperBack Writer" was the reason I began to play guitar.

Saying that, they have proved already that they can produce crap. I give you "Why Don't We Do It In The Road" as exhibits A to Z.[/quote']

A 45 rpm record of She Loves You formed the cornerstone of my entire musical world.

Revolution 9? Unlistenable.

But I'd say the Beatles have a more favorable Treasure/Turd ratio than 95% of other bands on Earth.

I'm betting it's another Revolution #9.... One was good enough' date=' if it wasn't good enough for the Anthology, I'm betting it's...... well....... bad

Now, I'm still wondering if anyone ever did come up with a track of Lennon singing "World Without Love". I know at one time there was a one million dollar bounty if anyone could come up with it and it was verified by speech recognition experts.

Lennon refused to sing " Please Lock Me Away".... can't blame him either. I do wonder if it exists or ever did.[/quote']

Please state your source for Lennon's refusal to sing on "World Without Love" Sounds like more Beatle urban myth bullsh!t which is only limited by the idiots' who make this crap up imagination..you see, "World Without Love" was written by Paul when he was sixteen and was never demo'ed as a Beatle song...to further dispel this nonsense according to Paul (page 111-"Many Years From Now"-Barry Miles) -"that funny first line (please lock me away) used to please John" meaning John found the line funny and a good line. Since it was also never demo-ed by the Beatles (the only demo I'm aware of is an incomplete solo Paul on piano "quick take"), John would never have had the opportunity to refuse to sing anything and the song was later given to Peter Asher who had a hit with it with Peter And Gordon. In a word this is-bullsh!t. People like to make up stuff that can't be verified because it makes them seem more enlightened or something. I'd say more base-less bullsh!t has been made up about the Beatles, their music and their lives than any other four people in the whole of history.

"Carnival Of Light" was a thirteen minute and forty eight second avant-garde recording of tape loops and sound effects created for a stage show at The Roundhouse Theater in London. It was finished and taken away by Paul on January 5, 1967 which makes Paul the first of the Beatles to do an electronic music composition who was then followed by George's "Electronic Sound" and eventually by John with "Revolution #9"

Whether it's rubbish or has any artistic merit is really a matter of the listener's perceptions and understanding and familiarity with the form. If you've spent your life listening to classic rock I don't imagine you're going to grasp it as readily as someone more familiar with musicians like John Cage and Karlheinz Stockhausen. I personally find some pieces in this genre interesting while I find others dreadfully boring. I also don't think the interest in avant-garde art and music was in any way related to drug use. During 1966 Paul was living in London and spent a lot of time with the likes of John Dunbar, Robert Fraser and William Burroughs who were some pretty big artistic, intellectual and literary heavy weights of the day.. The painting of the green apple later used as Apple's logo was a gift to Paul and was painted by Rene' Magritte, an artist whose work included another famous apple in the painting "The Listening Room" which was used on Jeff Beck's "Beck-Ola" and his work has been used by other musicians such as Jackson Browne for their album art work.

Everyone has a right to an opinion but just because one can't intellectually, artistically or aesthetically grasp something doesn't automatically diminish and dismiss its artistic value or make it crap or that everyone finds it unaccessable. Not everyone understands cubism or the artistic concepts behind it but that doesn't make Picasso invalid as an artist and if that concept of understanding the art being necessary evades your grasp maybe you should stick to pictures of dogs playing poker or Elvis painted on black velvet and listening to Slash or AC/DC. Maybe you personally don't find something enjoyable or pleasing to your aesthetic senses but that doesn't mean everyone finds the same.

Nelson

Careful there...you might learn something and that'd spoil your plans to plead ignorance wouldn't it?

Nelson

Oh well' date=' with a B.A., an M.A., and 2/3 of a PhD completed I'll run the risk of ignorance... However unlike you, I trust that I never succumb to a desire to pontificate to others...

Incidentally...

"just because one can't intellectually, artistically or aesthetically grasp something doesn't automatically diminish and dismiss its artistic value or make it crap or that everyone finds it unaccessable [sic.']"

Doesn't your comprehension / eye-of-the beholder argument ultimately suggest that your chosen artistic nadirs of Dogs Playing Poker and AC/DC records are comparable to, say, the Sistine Chapel ceiling or Shostakovich, whether or not your basic criteria of understanding and aesthetic appreciation are fulfilled? Mind you...I'm probably just missing something - not as sharp as you, Nelson, after all...

Oh well, always fun to drop in here once in a blue moon...time to head out again.

I can see why you dismiss ACDC' date=' after all it's only Rock & Roll, But i like it. Stan.[/quote']

Well, sure. 4 of the songs on their new album have the word "Rock" or the phrase "Rock & Roll" in their title. Obviously, they're not out of ideas.

:-

If that ain't enough there's 'Ob la dee ob la da'' date=' 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer', and a few others that make me cringe every time I hear them.

I remember a few years ago 'Bungalo Bill' came on the radio & my (then) 15-year-old nephew looked at me as if to say "and you're trying to tell me these guys are great?". It's pretty hard to defend that crap. [/quote']

Savoy truffle has to be the worst Beatles song ever ....."Creme tangerine and montelimat, a ginger sling with a pineapple heart.":-& .......... give me a friggin break.:-

Beatles have 215 released songs to their credit...about twelve of them can be called bad. Not a bad ratio.

But from all I've read, I'd say "Carnival Of Light" will boost that bad side of the ratio. If George and Ringo thwarted the release of "Carnival Of Light" - guys who had no problem releasing the very bad "Only A Northern Song" and "Octopus's Garden" - then we know something is off with "Carnival Of Light."

Savoy truffle has to be the worst Beatles song ever ....."Creme tangerine and montelimat' date=' a ginger sling with a pineapple heart.":-& .......... give me a friggin break.:- [/quote']

a terrible song and a lazy lyric...lifted wholesale (as is commonly known) from a box of Rowntree Mackintosh's "Good News" - [i don't remember when they stopped making those, but they were still around in the late '70s when I was a nipper - horrible things, the British equivalent of (cheap) drug store candy.]

Which is by the by, I still hate Maxwell's Silver Hammer far more...but then it's on the record that George Harrison disliked this song quite intensely , whilst Ringo Starr has made similar observations very recently, God only knows what John Lennon must have thought of it... In many ways its a McCartney solo track that crept on to a Beatles album, as the footage of an early recording attempt shows...As I recall, Ian McDonald described this song in his seminal Revolution in the Head as the song which shows best why the Beatles broke up, which may be phrasing it a bit strongly, but still...

Better to dwell on the good, I think: Strawberry Fields, While my guitar gently weeps, the list goes on and on...

Well, John and George were the "Rockers" anyway. Paul was the "Silly Love Songs" bloke, from the beginning.

No revolution or revelation, there. He was good at "Rock" too...when he so desired. But, he's always loved

a lot of different kinds of music, big band, jazz, classical, "POP" and it showed/shows...still. If Paul got to "sappy,"

Lennon would bring him back, if John got to "far out," or sarcastic (I actually loved John, for that reason), then Paul

would tame that, a bit. It's part of their genius, as well as their differences. I always thought George was way

under appreciated (to say nothing of overlooked) as a song writer. I (personally) liked his tunes...even from the

"Don't Bother Me" early beginnings. That was almost my theme song, in High School! LOL! The Best Band, warts

and all!

CB

I always thought George was way

under appreciated (to say nothing of overlooked) as a song writer.

Some of George's finest are some of The Beatles' finest.

However, he has some very bad songs among his only 22 Beatle songs. Lennon and McCartney with their high volume output could be excused for a number of clunkers, but a full one quarter of George's Beatle songs are not very good.

However' date=' he has some very bad songs among his only 22 Beatle songs. Lennon and McCartney with their high volume output could be excused for a number of clunkers, but a full one quarter of George's Beatle songs are not very good.[/quote']

Well, one often wonders if that was due to what was "allowed" to put on their albums,

...his "allotted" 1 or 2 songs, per album, etc. His worst songs, weren't (IMHO) any worse,

that the other's "worst songs!" When he was limited, by L&M...as to what was allowed,

then yeah, the percentage probably was higher....but, that begs the question, as to why

they'd let those "clunkers" on, in the first place. Given what George did with "All Things Must Pass,"

which was comprised of a lot of his "backlog" from the Beatle days, you really have to wonder. I don't

care of everything he (or the other two) did, but on the whole, they all did pretty well, overall.

CB

However' date=' he has some very bad songs among his only 22 Beatle songs. Lennon and McCartney with their high volume output could be excused for a number of clunkers, but a full one quarter of George's Beatle songs are not very good.[/quote']

I think 25% is too high an estimate...

Besides, what the heck...All things must pass is the best solo album by an ex-Beatle !

I always thought (and George Martin even brought it up, in the Anthology), that the "White Album" should

have been one really Great Album, without all the "filler!" But, they were having some fun, and were probably

enjoying having a "laugh" at our expense. And, of course, like so many things "Beatle" we got used to it,

embraced it, however reluctantly or even unwisely at the time, and it became just part of the whole. As Paul

said..."I'm not a big one for "Well, maybe it was too many of those...'Whaddya mean, it's great, it sold, "It's the bloody Beatles White Album...Shut up!" LOL!

CB

Archived