Gibson Brands Forums

anyone else with problematic Grover tuner?

Blkjakk

Here's an email I sent to Grover tuners, anyone else had this problem if your Epi came with Grovers?

Hi, I purchased a new Epiphone Zakk Wylde les paul custom last week that came with the stock Grover gold tuners. I have emailed epiphone/Gibson about a problem with the G string tuner slipping ( actually kinda pops) when you try to tune it so it is not-tuneable (which is a big pain) but have not gotten a response from them. The guitars serial number translates that it was made in may, 2008. What can be done about this problem? The other tuners are fine so I think it's just a defective tuner. Which grover tuners come on this guitar OEM anyway? Epiphone does not state this.

........ a problem with the G string tuner slipping ( actually kinda pops) when you try to tune it .........
Sounds like yer g-string binding in the nut (the "pop" would seem to indicate that...) - try lubing with powdered graphite, or perhaps the nut needs to be filed out a wee bit on that slot ..... just my random thoughts... If you felt ambitious, you could switch the "defective" tuner with one that works properly on another string, but I'd bet you have the same problem on yer g-string...... perhaps

I have never had any problems with Grover tuners, never. Like RSDx said, it sounds like the string is catching in the nut. The nut needs to be filed down a little, nothing major. Since it's only a week old, I'd take it in to an Epi dealer and have the tech fix it. It's under warrantee. You may want to have the nut replaced with a bone or tusq nut when you take in, but you would have to pay for that.

Nut problems are not all that "visible," in many cases. Put some ground graphite powder in the G string slot, and see

if it still persists, or is less evident. If it does..you might need to use a wound G string to gently file back and forth,

to free up/smooth out the slot a bit. Won't take much, usually. Add the graphite again, and you should be good to go.

I (personally) have never had a bad Grover tuner. But, maybe I've been lucky?

CB

I (personally) have never had a bad Grover tuner. But' date=' maybe I've been lucky?

CB[/quote'] I'm very satisfied with the Grovers on my LP, but, fwiw, my acoustic Epi (AJ18SNA) holds tune unbelievably well for incredible lengths of time (especially for a budget guit) ...... don't think it's the tuners, necessarily (Gotohs), but more likely thicker strings (less enthusiastic bending, perhaps...:- ) I dunno. Grovers are fine by me.....me still thinkst the op's problem is nut binding (sounds worse than it is8-[ )

lifetime guarantee to start with.

and I agree with others.. sounds like it's hanging up at the nut..

could be at the bridge saddle, too.. sounds can be decieving.. but on a G string, binding is unusual.

You may actually have a bad tuner..

for one thing, dirt could have gotten in there and messes with the cog as it turns..

I'd stick some pencil lead in the nut slot.. all of them.. I do that at every string change.

and if it works you'll know what's up.

TWANG

their lifetime guarantee is excellent. I once emailed them that my locking grover had become faulty... they sent me out one replacement locking tuner within a fortnight. It was too easy. Great company. They didn't care how old it was or what instrument it was from or where I lived (Australia). All they cared about was making good on their lifetime guarantee. A+++ to them. Shoot them an email brother.

Hey there,

When I bought the locking Grovers for my LP Goldtop (about $90), my tech said that there is a cheaper line of Grovers that is commonly sold in music stores (maybe $45 or so) but they are not the same quality as the expensive ones. My guess is that the stock Grovers on the guitar are probably the cheaper line, thus the poorer performance. If not, then I guess you really are "off yer nut"... =D>

well I solved the problem, be it grover tuners or the plastic nut (which after really looking at it it had little pieces dangling off where the strings rub it)........I took it back to the dealer and got credit. My Agile LP is a way better built guitar and it cost $520 less retail price. Epiphone needs to put graphtech nuts on these guitars IMHO.=D>

why do i have -2 (negative 2) posts???? =D>
You don't ..... you have -1 8-[ heh

And for the OP .... Hey blkjakkgoose !!!!!!!!!!! didn't realize 'til just now, you aren't too far from me here in TN .... am down here in Blount County - Maryville (Murvul:-" ) specifically. So you no longer have the guitar ???? (am assuming you got store credit, I guess ???) Bummer, as I'm quite sure it was a very minor issue........

Archived