Gibson Brands Forums

So you think Epi's are inferior to Gibson?

Just Strum

I just Scored my Fifth Epi. Off GreedBay (tonite)... 2000-01 Epi Les Paul Deluxe for $260 w/ SKB HSC W/ o Ship. $295 w/ Shp.. I'm Stoked. Metallic Red w/ Cream Binding and Mini's Hum's & Clean Chrome. It will sit nicely Next to my Epi EE 2006 LP Standard +Top. Last Week I scored a 1992 Epi LP Double Cutaway off C/List. Set neck in Trans Cherry Also.. Electric's are gonna be Replaced Soon But P'ups Sound Very Rightous For P-90's and I am keepin' em in the Guitar... Got it For $200 w/ Org Case in 6.5/10 condtion.. But they are Kinda Rare ... Rite ? I love 'em All and I can have many More Varity/ Tones in Epi's then Gibsons $$. So they Do Require a Lil tweak here or there, They All look and Feel Just As the Other Does.. Good Enough For a 'Pro' like Me.. hehe LOVE One Woman... and Many, Many Guitars. (o_~

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bender 4 Life - interesting comment on your Sheraton II..... and the "head to head" comparisons between your Gibbys and your Epis.

I would be very interested to hear more about your conclusion. Quite apart from the fact that I sense we may agree' date=' I am fascinated to hear somebody elses experience, because the flaming I received when I suggested that it was a hard call justifying the money for a Gibson when the Epi came so close has led me to doubt my own judgement on this one. I keep thinking I knew what I felt and heard - but I must have been tripped out or whatever.

And that's genuine - I am [u']not[/u] trying to rile the guys who jumped on me last time - I really am interested.....

For my own personal tone preferences, the Sheraton really shines, with stock p'ups, because I always set my Valvetronix amp jusssssst below the point of breakup(distortion) when strummed or picked normally, and with the natural distortion level quite limited as to how much it will break up, even with an aggressive attack.

<Think> very slightly harsher than Chuck Berry........but damned close.

The less powerful Epi p'ups are perfect for this type tone, but still give good "voice" for solos, and my G400 also falls into this tone category.

When I use my V, I find myself tweaking the tone DOWN just a bit, to balance the mids and highs.

With the Les Paul, I tweak it down even more........but i'm convinced it needs electrical work still, as it doesnt even sound as good as an old "Electra" SG I had 15 yrs ago.

But, as I said in my origional post, tone is all relative, to the ear(s) of the beholder(s)

you pick the amp, I'll put my Epi up against any Gibby..

to me it's all about preference and a modding platform..

`06 Epi Les Paul Classic

CTS pots

gibson switch

speed knobs

burstbucker pro zebra's

chrome rings

orange caps

new tuners and nut not installed yet..

14ax55x.png

:-k=P~

you pick the amp' date=' I'll put my Epi up against any Gibby..

to me it's all about preference and a modding platform..

`06 Epi Les Paul Classic

CTS pots

gibson switch

speed knobs

burstbucker pro zebra's

chrome rings

orange caps

new tuners and nut not installed yet..

=D>=P~ [/quote']I'm sure the speed knobs give it that edge.#-o

I'm sure the speed knobs give it that edge.=D>

You would probably wake up in the middle of the night' date=' if you knew that opportunity was waiting for you.

Well, I hope you don't sleep tonight because of this

[b']MY DOT AND WILDKAT ARE EQUAL TO ANY GIBSON[/b]

poke.gifpoke.gifpoke.gif

You would probably wake up in the middle of the night' date=' if you knew that opportunity was waiting for you.

Well, I hope you don't sleep tonight because of this

[b']MY DOT AND WILDKAT ARE EQUAL TO ANY GIBSON[/b]

They probably have "speed knobs". =D>

Okay' date=' now you can sleep. For some reason I thought you would use that response. Please don't tell me I am starting to understand you. What's next, me hanging out with Nelson?[/quote']

Hey...you could have a worse time and since I see you're from "The Mistake By The Lake"..."Chernobyl of the West" .. "Dreary On Erie"....so good times are probably rare for you....I am just kidding...I had a really good time in your city once...I just don't remember it..I went to the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Thing when my ex and I were still together (late 90's) and we stayed at the Cleveland Renaissance...there's a city park right in front of it and across the park is this block of restaurants..Something John's Steak House and an Italian place at the time..

well, we decided that we weren't just going to hang out in the hotel so one night we ventured out with the plan of getting completely wasted... so we decided to walk...as we're leaving, the doorman says he'll get our car but we say .."no, we're going to take a walk over to one of those restaurants across the park" and he says "I really wish you wouldn't..." but we say thanx anyway and walk across without event (it was still daylight and I'm from Motown...ain't nothing in Cleveland can scare me lol) ...a few hours later and approaching totally wasted, my ex and I venture back across the park where it's now about ten at night and dark...As we walk along I see a guy on the sidewalk and he's not moving ('cuz he's asleep, Dipshit) so I say to my ex...should we call 9-1-1 ? and she says..."just keep moving" so we do and as we pass the guy on the sidewalk he growls at me..yes, growls...we continue walking and this other guy comes out of the bushes and asks if I've got a couple bucks for an old Vet and I stop and go for my wallet to help out and my ex practically screams "don't take out your wallet, you idiot" and pushes me along but within seconds we're surrounded by a sea of down and out and it's all becoming very animated and they're clutching and grabbing at us like a scene out of Night Of The Living Dead and being really drunk isn't helping...all of a sudden the sea is parted and these three really big black guys (hotel security I think) and the doorman from the hotel are literary throwing these people out of our way and clearing a path as they practically carried us out of there...the doorman says..."I tried to tell you" ...

We ate at the hotel for breakfast deciding not to venture too far without our car lol..anyway, we come back from breakfast and are looking out of the window (great view) and the hotel is kind of round the corner of the same building as the Ritz-Carlton which is a really "Ritz-zy" place with all these limos out front and we see this battered old bus pull up in the circular drive in front of the Ritz-Carlton and the side of the bus drop down and they start handing out coffee and doughtnuts to all the homeless people who live in that park and there were dozens and dozens of them... sad really.. but I thought it was funny watching all the rich people trying to get to their limos and these homeless trying to bum money from them...see, hanging out with me can be an adventure..

Nelson

you missed the point,,

the object of my post is inferior is not the correct term for this thread..

when you can take an Epi mod and upgrade it, get it pretty damned close to it's Gibson cousin but for a fraction of the price, I really wouldn't call that inferior..

I play the guitar not the name on the headstock..

I wouldn't call it inferior' date=' just a different grade of instrument offered,

there is nothing inferior about them for the price..[/quote']

Totally agreed. But the thread-title is "are they inferior to Gibson?", not "are they inferior?".

The 3 biggest reasons I would play Epis if I were still gigging:

1. A modded Epi will sound close enough to the Gibson played through a PA in a live environment.

2. I couldn't stand to watch a Gibson die a slow death one night at a time in the clubs I used to play in (where I watched 3 Gibby LPs die slow deaths).

3. When the Epi has 'worn out' I can just pull out all the upgraded hardware & put it in a new one without having to drain my bank account completely dry.

Yes, I think Epiphones are inferior to Gibsons.

Or do you think Gibson would sell a guitar for $700 that was the equal of what they sell for $3500?

Corners are cut on Epiphones, including the electronics, the quality of the wood, and the amount of handwork.

None of which means that Epis aren't great values, attractive and playable -- especially in gigging situations where the minor flaws were not apparent to the audience.

But the pots and switch in my Sheraton II were noisy, the pickups wimpy sounding, and there were cosmetic flaws in the natural maple veneer, which was covered in a thick layer of polyurethane.

My 335 is dead quiet, it sounds great, the wood has a nice figure to it, and it is finished in nitro.

That all adds up to Gibson = superior, Epiphone = inferior.

But I loved my Epi, and had I not found the 335 for a bargain price I would still have it. So there it is: I took the Gibson over the Epiphone, but I wouldn't make the opposite trade...unless it had turned out that the Epi sounded better than the Gibson. But it didn't!

If you have an Epiphone and love it, keep on loving it. "Inferior" to a specific brand doesn't mean "inferior" as a device for expressing yourself musically. This whole debate is pointless. The music rules. Whatever you are happy with is what's right. I have gigged with Squier and Fender basses, and nobody EVER came up to me after a set and said "Eeeewww: that's a crappy Squier." More likely they said they liked the way it sounded.

Yes' date=' I think Epiphones are inferior to Gibsons.

Or do you think Gibson would sell a guitar for $700 that was the equal of what they sell for $3500?

Corners are cut on Epiphones, including the electronics, the quality of the wood, and the amount of handwork.

None of which means that Epis aren't great values, attractive and playable -- especially in gigging situations where the minor flaws were not apparent to the audience.

But the pots and switch in my Sheraton II were noisy, the pickups wimpy sounding, and there were cosmetic flaws in the natural maple veneer, which was covered in a thick layer of polyurethane.

My 335 is dead quiet, it sounds great, the wood has a nice figure to it, and it is finished in nitro.

That all adds up to Gibson = superior, Epiphone = inferior.

But I loved my Epi, and had I not found the 335 for a bargain price I would still have it. So there it is: I took the Gibson over the Epiphone, but I wouldn't make the opposite trade...unless it had turned out that the Epi sounded better than the Gibson. But it didn't!

If you have an Epiphone and love it, keep on loving it. "Inferior" to a specific brand doesn't mean "inferior" as a device for expressing yourself musically. This whole debate is pointless. The music rules. Whatever you are happy with is what's right. I have gigged with Squier and Fender basses, and nobody EVER came up to me after a set and said "Eeeewww: that's a crappy Squier." More likely they said they liked the way it sounded.[/quote']

How dare you use reason and rational thinking in this argument...this is ego we're talking about, boy...if the EpiYahoos get wind of this it'll ruin their whole delusion for the day...geeez.. always someone muddying up the argument with facts and reasonable thinking...

Nelson

Archived