Gibson Brands Forums

new kid on the block

wardog

in my need to join the rest of the country to redeem my gift cards, i happened upon a strange vision.

BEST BUY HAS A MUSICAL INSTRUMENT SECTION. I MEAN REALL STUFF. FROM LOW END EPI AND SQUIER TO FENDERS, GIBSONs, PARKERS, AND THE MID TO HIGH END ACOUSTICS. DRUMS AND SO FORTH.[-X

Ok, so comp or what. prices where equal to that of mf, gc ans sw. Got home and checked wedsite and there was a bigger selection of choices.

They even offered 4 group lessons in house for the purchase of any guitar.

Let the comments opinions begin!!!!!!!#-o

Mugatu, excuse the oversite. www.bestbuy.com. www.musiciansfriend.com, www.guitarcenter.com www.sweetwater.com

check the site.

I do not know what the equal would be in uk. After u check the sites, please re-post you comments. if you choose too.

in my need to join the rest of the country to redeem my gift cards' date=' i happened upon a strange vision.

BEST BUY HAS A MUSICAL INSTRUMENT SECTION. I MEAN REALL STUFF. FROM LOW END EPI AND SQUIER TO FENDERS, GIBSONs, PARKERS, AND THE MID TO HIGH END ACOUSTICS. DRUMS AND SO FORTH.[-X

Ok, so comp or what. prices where equal to that of mf, gc ans sw. Got home and checked wedsite and there was a bigger selection of choices.

They even offered 4 group lessons in house for the purchase of any guitar.

Let the comments opinions begin!!!!!!!#-o

[/quote]They've had a music instrument section by me for about 9 months now. Prices are ok at best.

Guest alanhindle

Am I right in assuming that this 'best buy' site will find the best price from 'participating' dealers who sign up to be in their search engine, and then take a cut from whoever they eventually order it through?

If it is, I personally wouldn't use it as they could process an order from one of the 'fakes importers'. Also there is too much confusion over which party you have the contract with and this could cause problems later on if there is a dispute.

I'd rather buy a guitar from a proper guitar dealership.

Best Buy is a store in the United States (and Canada, if my memories of Toronto are correct).

Actually, I know they're in Canada, because I see commercials on TV for them- Buffalo television gets a lot of Canadian commercials.

I've been in a few Best Buy stores over the past few months, and have managed to miss the instrument section... I had heard they were going to do that, but I didn't hear that they had actually launched.

Thanks for the tip, never thought Best Buy was about guitars and other instruments. I usually go to BB for a computer cable, a DVD or an iPod, never stopped to actually see the whole store.

One thing, buying a guitar online can be risky IMHO, unless it comes with some sort of no-questions-asked return policy of some sort. A guitar can be something of a subjective matter, sometimes the best quality of instruments just don't feel right!

Best Buy is "testing" in-house music stores in several of its locations ... the majority, it seems, in California and in Minnesota (where the corporate HQ is located). Additionally, they sell musical instruments and related gear on their web site.

It's simple enough: As more and more of their typical products, TV's, computers, media, video games, and appliances are being sold at lower prices by WalMart, they are looking for new profit centers to go into. There is fairly good mark-up on musical instruments. Certainly better than computers which is virtually non-existent. So it makes sense.

There prices are NOT discounted below what you'd find at a Guitar Center, Musicians Friend or similar retailer. I've heard from friends in California that the service/product knowledge in the stores is on a par with what you'd find in a Guitar Center as well.

That's about the size of it ... just another place to check if you're looking to buy something. No major drama either way.

To our non- USA located friends: Sorry if this doesn't make a ton of sense to you, but it really doesn't apply either. Hell it hardly applies to most of the Americans in here since it is so limited right now.

MIDI

If I can find what I want there and the price is about the same or less, Best Buy is my first choice. We have four Best Buys in our area, and only one has the full musical instruments section as of a few months ago. The others just have a row or two with instruments and accessories. I bought my first guitar there. I am comfortable shopping there because I have bought computers & software, CD's, TV's, cell phones etc. there. The brick and mortar store has the "try before you buy" philosophy, you can get discounts from a member card, etc., etc.. So like a music store, I can go in, sit down and try an instrument out. I have only had a couple of items to return with no problems. My experience has been that the sales people are not quite as knowledgable as a higher end or specialty store, but the prices are a little better, especially if I wait for a sale. I like to research items on the net and usually know what I want before I go. I have bought a few non-instrument items online with no complaints. My buying experience there has been more pleasant than the experience at local music stores.

Best Buy is a store in the United States (and Canada' date=' if my memories of Toronto are correct).

[/quote']

You are right Po...there is Best Buy all over Canada. Since I'm in the Montreal area, I don't know about the rest of Canada, but our Best buy are'nt selling musical instruments yet.

I've been meaning to check out the guitar section at our best buy.. but I haven't been in yet.

We have a GC locally, and a good independant store or two, so I thought it would be interesting to compare products and prices.

Free guitar lessons.. hey I'd take 'em!

TWANG

The BestBuy in Knoxville is NEXT DOOR to a Guitar Center. It's instrument inventory is understandably

less than GC's but what is surprising is the diversity and instruments targeted more toward higher end

and or different tastes. Sure there are Epi's and Squires but wasn't expecting to see pink sparkle Fender

Jaguars, Parker Flys, or other offbeat but not cheap entrys that just ain't normally hanging in the average

GC. As far as knowledge of staff, who knows, but the buying and trying atmosphere is definately better at

least for now. Knoxville's BB may have went farther than most considering the proximity of their neighbor:

There's four, (i think), soundproof glass-front rooms for testing/playing, and the instrument section itself I

think takes about one eighth of the total stores avaialble area. I doubt that BB will carve much into the GC

market: but right now it's REALLY nice to have an alternative to the braindeadcataclysmicmayhem that is GC.

On December 24th - 2:00pm BestBuys instrument area may have had 10 people at most in that section,

NextDoor at Guitar Center - packed, loud, and near impossible to get through checkout. Guess where we

shopped? If you have one of these BB test facilities nearby, check it out, refreshing change of pace.

Wedgie

pohatu771 wrote:

Best Buy is a store in the United States (and Canada, if my memories of Toronto are correct).

You are right Po...there is Best Buy all over Canada. Since I'm in the Montreal area, I don't know about the rest of Canada, but our Best buy are'nt selling musical instruments yet.

I just checked the Canadian website, and I am very familiar with the stores in my area (Edmonton, Alberta)

and there are no instruments available in them. Not yet.

Please consider this as a comment and not an attempt at Dogma.

When you purchase any item from an online dealer , you are taking business from your community. Yes, for those that live in areas with limited resources, on line shopping is an excellent way to obtain the items that make your life worth while. Shopping locally when you can supports your community.

I have a friend that owns a Guitar Store - Non affiliated (Not a chain or franchise) and his business is really down this year. I know that all business has fallen off in this economic time. Consider that the person that owns and runs a small business has a lot invested. They have the advice and knowledge that you don't often get from the online retailers. They do setup and adjustments. They learn who your are an what make your style and learn what sounds you like and can even advise on tone, etc.

What I advocate is to shop locally first, then go to the online stores. I think you'll find that many local retailers will attempt to match online prices and still provide personalized service as well.

My humble opinion.

Yes I do shop online...

Archived