Gibson Brands Forums

My 16 y/o son wants an "SG"

xtek95

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not a done deal yet' date=' but i'm leaning toward a new G400.....i appreciate the input here.

[/quote']

I would say G400 is better too. Not that G310's are necessarily bad, I've heard of many people who have them and really like them. If money is an issue I would say G310 but if not G400. Oh btw, if this is a first guitar issue G310 might be better because if he decides that he doesn't want to play guitar anymore, it isn't as big of a blow to the wallet as a G400 would be.

GC

UPPER FRET ACCESS!!!

Ahhhhh .... upper fret access my AcceSS !!! I have no trouble with UFA on my LP .... ya just have to learn how to play without yer thumb around the neck ..... adapt, I say .... 't'ain't no big deal....[-o< ...... but, of course, I have relatively small hands, fwiw :-k

We're not a good crowd to ask' date=' are we?

Key words in the question were "starter" and "value".....he asks about G310, and we start pointing him at G400s and then go on to Goths, Iommis, Elitists, Gibsons....all +$. I still say whatever you pick, buy secondhand for best value.

[/quote']

Happens on every guitar forum I'm a member of and is really annoying. I wouldn't be surprised if it actually turns people off the forum and perhaps even guitar.

I don't think there's anything wrong with recommending one step up as in the case of the G400 because I believe it's better value than the G310 and is more likely to remain a 'keeper', but to go as far recommending Elitists, Gibsons etc is not only silly but unfair to the questioner.

Hope I don't upset the majority but this summer I purchased an Epiphone SG of my own . Not a 310 nor a 400 , I did pick up both however since they were within my budget yet decided on a limited edition School of Rock (remember the movie with Jack Black?) SG Std from the Epiphone Custom shop. Looks amazingly identical to a Gibson SG Std - has the same style pickups(not sure what model the p'ups are but they sound great), same full pickguard ,same finish , same trapezoid pearl inlay fret markers . I can't see any difference from the Gibson other than the headstock says Epiphone. Mine is Heritage Cherry ,a very beautiful gloss finish. I think it may also come in brown . I bought it at Guitar Center after seeing one in their sale flyers I get in the mail. It is regularly and currently $399 but I got it on sale for $299 . I found another one at another GC and of course picked it up , it was a little out of tune but within a couple minutes I had in . I played around with it a little and I have to say between mine and the other one , they sound and feel identical,so consistency is there. Nice smooth feel to the fretboard,solid knobs, nice chunky Alnico p'ups. The Grover tuners are very solid and stay in tune reliably...since August.

To me the 310 felt very cheap and too light . The 400 well, I can't exactly say how the one I had in my hand felt but something wasn't to my liking. I also took a quick pass at a faded SG and it looked like the neck joint was sloppy and I've heard from people who've played those ,the stock p'ups need replacing asap. Didn't impress me at all and that was what I originally went in to buy. Stores don't usually keep more than 2 of the SOR's on stock. You might even have to ask . The salesguy I spoke to didn't know a thing about them until I presented the flyer . He had to run in the stockroom to find one of the 2 they had. He even gathered a few other salespeople around to look at it before I took possession of it. The couple guys I know that play semiprofessionally that work there and teach on the side gave it a solid thumbs up. Good luck on your search and keep your boy playing.

Happy New Year

Not a done deal yet' date=' but i'm leaning toward a new G400.....i appreciate the input here.[/quote']

My loonie's worth (Canadian dollar):

-- if you cheap out, then by example you've given him the perfect excuse (as in "nobody thought I could do it that's why they bought me the cheapest") to chuck it the moment he hits a snag (...and snags will come)

-- a guitar is important, but w/electrics the amp/speakers are just as important, probably more so (again, don't cheap out on a practice amp or "starter kit" (here the smart money is to opt for one of several quality, yet budget-minded options out there now like a VJr. combo)

-- better used but high quality than new but cheapos

-- make him this birthday "deal:" Set the limit of what you can afford and help him spend all of it wisely -- with the understanding that it's his to keep but if he quits then at expiration of a time limit to start up again set by you the gear will be sold and the value put towards a different gift or his university fund -- win/win b/c he will take better care of the gear to play or to resell, and if he sees that you will do it then he'll respect you more.

-- axiom to remember: the better the gear, the better it retains it's value (either in usage or re-sale if that happens)

-- better than a wrapped SURPRISE gift, let him select his own guitar/amp gifts but only after more than just one trip to the music store for tryouts (he may think he wants one thing now, but he will gravitate towards what suits him best given a variety of options & over time to let some WOW! factors from the store's goodies die down)

-- based on your research here and elsewhere help guide him w/o dictating the outcome (other than the $$ limit) b/c it provides a great bonding experience regardless of what he ultimately does down the road musically

-- if you shop in big GC type music stores be very cautious of the advice received from the salespersons (their goals are profit margins and commissions and are at odds with your goals) besides they are often smooth talkers but poor musicians so take their comments with many grains of salt (and a couple shots of whiskey, but only afterwards)

-- your son will need a couple of weeks to a month of just playing/fooling around with his gift, then...

-- he needs a musician mentor: if not you, then a good instructor to start him off in all the right directions

(otherwise he will become lost and frustrated and who knows whether he can find his own way)

Best wishes to your son for a long and rewarding musical career..., and WELCOME (both of you) to the forum!

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

This is the G-400 Birddog is referring to:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SG-Standard-S.O.R-Electric-Guitar?sku=512455

Actually, all of the G-400s use the same pickups. The only difference with the G-400 above is the full pick guard. The others have the small pick gurad. Fadeds have a satin finish. Some of the guitars have the knob placements closer to the Gibson SGs, but there are many differences between a G-400 and an SG. G-400s have been made in different plants so the feel of one G-400 could very well be different from the other. I recently tried out a Faded G-400 and the neck was to die for. I have 2 G-400s, both made in different plants and both are fine guitars. I liked the neck on the Faded better than the 2 I have though.

I agree with Steven, and good guitar is important, but without a decent amp the guitar is gonna sound terrible. Better a used setup, but higher quality than a new cheapo. The better the rig, the more your son will want to play.

I wish you the best in your decision and I hope that your son will find many years of enjoyment with his gift.

I understand that your son is interested in an SG (what boy wouldn't be?) but I would also show him the Wilshire. Just got a flier from MF yesterday offering the Wilshire for a sale price of $269. It will be available on 31 Jan. This is a set neck guitar with great upper fret access--looks mighty good for a beginner. Also, if you get it in Feb for his birthday, he probably will have the only one for miles around!! Just a thought.

My loonie's worth (Canadian dollar):

-- if you cheap out' date=' then by example you've given him the perfect excuse [i'](as in "nobody thought I could do it that's why they bought me the cheapest")[/i] to chuck it the moment he hits a snag (...and snags will come)

Yea, GFs daughter was like that.

Her (strat clone) doesn't sound like my SG, so she thought it was worse, thus didn't want to play much.

-- better than a wrapped SURPRISE gift, let him select his own guitar/amp gifts but only after more than just one trip to the music store for tryouts (he may think he wants one thing now, but he will gravitate towards what suits him best given a variety of options & over time to let some WOW! factors from the store's goodies die down)

-- based on your research here and elsewhere help guide him w/o dictating the outcome (other than the $$ limit) b/c it provides a great bonding experience regardless of what he ultimately does down the road musically

Agree. you just said it moer eloquently than I did. =P~

Pragmatics:

Only problem is that the giftee does not yet know how to play; in that regard, anything is better than nothing.

Since he doesn't know the difference, and it's all new and exciting adventure, anything will feel good, and any amp will sound good, especially with the "hey, I can make some noise" ego factor.

Beyond weight and balance, 'tryouts' end up being asking the salesperson to demo a unit (if they can).

And we all know that's not the same.

Presuming OP is a player, one assumes a (decent) amp is already available, and the OP may be able to steer (somewhat) regarding pros/cons of different quitars.

The G400 is definately a huge step up from the G310 and much better quality all around. The G310 is a decent guitar for someone just starting out, but will probably outgrow it within a year or two. The pickups are cheap and muddy even on a clean channel and (mine) has mini pots in it. The sound breaks up quickly and strumming chords sounds terrible. Also, Epi claims them to be made of Alder, but mine (1992 model) is compressed "select" wood. Maybe the new ones?

They can be great little guitars, but with some modifications and a good amp. If you can find one for $150 or less, I would definately consider it. But with a new price tag of $220-$250 USD, it's not worth it IMHO.

This is the G-400 Birddog is referring to:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SG-Standard-S.O.R-Electric-Guitar?sku=512455

Actually' date=' all of the G-400s use the same pickups. The only difference with the G-400 above is the full pick guard. The others have the small pick gurad. Fadeds have a satin finish. Some of the guitars have the knob placements closer to the Gibson SGs, but there are many differences between a G-400 and an SG. G-400s have been made in different plants so the feel of one G-400 could very well be different from the other. I recently tried out a Faded G-400 and the neck was to die for. I have 2 G-400s, both made in different plants and both are fine guitars. I liked the neck on the Faded better than the 2 I have though.

I agree with Steven, and good guitar is important, but without a decent amp the guitar is gonna sound terrible. Better a used setup, but higher quality than a new cheapo. The better the rig, the more your son will want to play.

I wish you the best in your decision and I hope that your son will find many years of enjoyment with his gift.[/quote']

I got a '66 Limited G-400 used for a very nice price. Having owned a Gibson SG Standard, I'd say the 400 is comperable in every way except the pickups. The humbuckers in mine are lound, dirty, and just plain rude. I also have a LP 100, and it has far superior pups. But all else, the 400 is an SG. Great slim, fast neck and gorgeous cherry finish.

My son and i have reviewed pics and reviews of both the G-400 and the Limited Edition 1966 G-400 and we both agree that the Limited Edition at least looks better. Don't think it's made in Epiphone custom shop though...is it?

Hoping to find a sale at Musician's Friend or Guitar Center B4 his birthday to place an order. That seems to be the only 2 places to carry the 1966 L.E. version of the g-400. I'm a little leery of getting a used one on ebay, i've seen some abused 1966 L.E's that i wouldn't care to own or bother refurbing.

If someone see's this on sale pls drop a note, thanks to all for your help in this.

There is no Epiphone custom shop.

Correct.

xtek95' date='

Certain guitars were simply 'limited editions' usually sold through Epiphones on-line retailer Musiciansfriend.com or Guitarcenter.com (possibly in some locations as well) and they were given the "[i']Custom Shop[/i]" stamp.

The G310 is a decent guitar for someone just starting out' date=' but will probably outgrow it within a year or two.[/quote']

But wouldn't the same be true for the G400? No matter what guitar your going to get for him, he'll probably outgrow it or at least want to get a new one after a year.

GC

Just FYI, found my 16 yr-old the '66 Limited Edition SG in Heritage Cherry at our local GC for $299 on sale a few weeks ago. I didn't know much about the epi SGs then, but got it home and went over it, did some research and realized what it was. Couldn't find another for less than $399 online, new. Not sure why it was on sale for less than the regular G-400 but I think it was a steal. Factoring in the cord, case, strap and tax it was about $500 total for the b-day gift. But one he'll hopefully enjoy for a lifetime. I then hooked him up with a little Tech 21 practice amp w/my Line 6 POD and it sounds great. Explained that this was the Guitar Hero we grew up with...playing a real guitar to the real song on the radio!

BTW, he had previously visited the store with me and personally picked that guitar...later, after I purchased it and hid it at home, he and mom went there to buy me a bass amp for Christmas and he noticed it was gone and was dissapointed (he wanted to show mom). Anyway, he loves it and I do too...definite keeper! Neck is perfectly straight, solid Mahogany neck set in the body, great finish and hardware, frets are dressed very well...no snags or rough spots, Grover tuners, Alnico pups...I still can't believe it was only $299...if there were more at that price I would have gone back and bought them all! #-o

But wouldn't the same be true for the G400? No matter what guitar your going to get for him' date=' he'll probably outgrow it or at least want to get a new one after a year.

GC[/quote']

Well, to be fair, I think it's safe to assume that almost anyone here would like a new and different guitar every year. Its easy to get GAS, but thats not what I meant. If he's serious about guitar, then the G400 shoud be able to suit his needs for quite some time and can easily be modded to to extend its usefulness.

I'm usually an advocate for the G310 as a starter guitar, but after owning one for a year, I dont think that the quality matches the retail price...even at $220 (outlet price) at CG. Sure, there are a few mods you can do to it, but IMO, it's a dead-end guitar. I bought mine - used at a great price - as primarily a learning guitar and it has served it's purpose well. It has taken alot of abuse and I dont feel bad about it one bit. They are great for that purpose. But I wouldnt go too far beyond that.

Archived