Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul knob replacement

Emetry

So here's a simple replacement job that I have some opinion questions about.

I just acquired a blue quilttop Epi LesPaul Standard. This picture isn't mine (as it is in the shop getting some work done)

Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plus-tb.jpg

As you can see, the cream/blue finish has a good flow and remains mostly uninterrupted, giving the guitar a good overall appearance (yeah, that's opinion, but go with me here).

That is, until you get to those damned orange vol/tone knobs.

I hate them. So very very much.

My question is this. Has anyone replaced these knobs or know of a replacement set that keeps that same general look, but perhaps in cream, chrome, blue, or some combination of the three?

I also had those copper bells on my Les Paul Ultra and I replaced them with gold speed knobs. IMHO it look a lot nicer. I also had your idea to put cream knobs ( I still have them in my desk ) but it look weard on the Heritage cherry sunburst finish, but might be very nice on the blue. If you ever want those cream speed knobs, just let me know on a PM, and we could arrange something.

ks02c1.jpg

Here's the allparts plastic knob page

http://www.allparts.com/store/knobs-plastic-knobs,Category.asp

even blue ufo knobs.. light blue or dark blue..

cream would be good.. chrome would be good, too.

you have to make sure you get metric splines if your pots are stock.

here's the q parts knobs.. metal with inserts. in colors..

I'd check out the chrome with blue insert if I were you

http://www.allparts.com/store/knobs-q-parts,Category.asp

those have a set screw and inserts. that way they'll fit an pot shaft and tighten down with a wrench that comes with

the knobs. easy to get on and off, too.

here's the metal knobs page.. I used gold dome knobs on my sheri.

http://www.allparts.com/store/knobs-metal-knobs,Category.asp

I think some of these are plastic inside.. that is, the part that fits the shaft may be metric or usa splines..in plastic inserts that

are permanent. They fit well!

and some have set screws and wrenches, too.

I looked at the wood and horn knobs, but none of them really would do anything at all for your guitar.

Hope that helps.

I've used a lot of Q parts on builds and whether ufo or dome style they look sharp and really are nice.

TWANG

You could always do what I did with mine, and get rid of the cream entirely. Axe the guard, and replace the pickup rings and toggle switch cap with black. Eliminate the rhythm/treble ring too, and then get the chrome dome knobs with black inserts. Alternatively, use the chrome metal pickup mounting rings, and get some black open coil replacement pickups... Duncan '59s, or the GFS equivalent if you're on a budget. That way, you maintain the black surrounded by chrome look all the way from the switch to the knobs. The black and chrome scheme looks super sexy on the blue plus top... If you're set on having a guard on it, go with a black one.

Norm/TWANG:

Thanks for the input, I'm going to think about which knobs I want to put on. THank you very much for the suggestions, and TWANG, that site was awesome.

Gen0:

THanks, but no thanks. I like the cream, and don't want to rip too much off the guitar.

Gen0:

THanks' date=' but no thanks. I like the cream, and don't want to rip too much off the guitar.[/quote']

No problem, it's your guitar. I was just offering an alternate option... I'd post pics of my blue, but I'm not on my computer right now. They're in the "show us your Les Paul" thread, probably about 7 pages in or so, if you want to dig...

The cream is cool, and works great with some finishes. I love it on my honeyburst plain top, and my natural PRS fake. But on the blue, the black and chrome is far more striking. The cream just screams "traditional" to me, where the blue seems to want a more modern vibe, at least to my eyes. But like I said, it's yours, so go with what you love! And be sure to post pics when you're done, of course!

Your pardon if you already know this, but it took me a while to figure out and nobody ever seems to tell anyone. So, just to make sure everyone knows. If you use knobs with a setscrew, be sure to tighten the screw down against the slot in the shaft, not against the arms on the sides of the slot. Otherwise you'll just bend the arm over farther and farther - sometimes they even break off and then you have to replace the pot just to get a new shaft on which to install your new knob.

OOh...yeah. I was going to read a tutorial before I did it, but that's a good point. I'll make sure to watch that. I'm hoping to get a decent knowledge base going so I can work on some crapper guitars and refinish them myself.

I think I'm going to go with chrome/silver dome knobs, and see what I can't to do get them anodized to have some blue undercurrents (a friend of mine has an anodizer).

I will put pics up as I get things set.

If it were me I'd ditch the pickguard and go with a black or chrome theme' date=' replacing the knobs and pickup rings both. And I'd get rid of the R/T switch donut.[/quote']

I agree, ditch the cream & pickguard, replace with chrome and that blue would be a knockout.

you can try WDmusic.com and warmouth.com I think they both offer chrome pickup rings.

Hmm...this means that my guitar tech in IL is lazy, becuase he went on and on about how he couldn't find a match and so forth. Well, won't be going back to HIM.

• 2 months later...
If it were me I'd ditch the pickguard and go with a black or chrome theme' date=' replacing the knobs and pickup rings both. And I'd get rid of the R/T switch donut.

Like this:

[img']http://www.leefritch.com/epi_stnd_1.jpg[/img]

Dude, that is one sick and inspirational guitar. I'm thinking of doing something similar with my blue quilt top, but change the knobs for black speed knobs (non tapered), unless I can get skull themed ones instead. Wasn't sure until I saw this photo. quite obviously, you rock.

Here's the allparts plastic knob page

http://www.allparts.com/store/knobs-plastic-knobs' date='Category.asp

even blue ufo knobs.. light blue or dark blue..

cream would be good.. chrome would be good, too.

you have to make sure you get metric splines if your pots are stock.

TWANG

[/quote']

I am probably blind but I don't see where you can get metric splines. I only see "fits USA split shaft pots"?

I am probably blind but I don't see where you can get metric splines. I only see "fits USA split shaft pots"?

Just email them before you order, telling them what guiater you have and what you want to do with it, and ask them if the parts you want to order will fit, and what alternatives they have, how much, etc., save yourself embarressment, time and money. Good Luck, hope to see a photo of the finished article.

Hmm...this means that my guitar tech in IL is lazy' date=' becuase he went on and on about how he couldn't find a match and so forth. Well, won't be going back to HIM.[/quote']

if hes anything like me - its cause he don't give a dang about pretty boy guitars...

I have replaced my knobs a bunch of times but the knobs that i have stuck with are the ringo knobs from q parts. also I slapped on a cream pearl pickguard

DSCN1699.jpg

....that looks really sharp, BlueLP ...... those knobs are especially perfect for that guit !!!

Archived