Gibson Brands Forums

Your own signature model?

metalhed717

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow' date=' I sure love it when you post responses, Mr. Nelson. You can trash multiple people in one sentence. Do you have ANY friends? Is all of that sarcasm really necessary to make your point?[/quote']

Taking ourselves a bit too seriously today are we, Jeffery?

Mr.Nelson

Taking ourselves a bit too seriously today are we' date=' Jeffery?

Mr.Nelson[/quote']

I suppose so. Every time I read 2 or 3 pleasant posts and then come upon one of your nasty remarks, I just think "was that really necessary?" I doubt that you are this negative toward friends, co-workers and family members. Why continue to be that way here?

body shape: Les Paul

body wood: two-piece, unchambered mahogany

finish: ebony

neck wood: three-piece mahogany

Binding: Body and Neck (creme)

fretboard: Rosewood

inlays: Trapezoid

neck type: 60's style

pickguard: black (5-ply)

pup rings: creme

switch ring: creme

bridge: Stopbar & Tune-o-matic

tuners: Grover Rotomatics w/ keystone heads

hardware: chrome

pickups: Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates w/ chrome covers

clontrol layout- two volume, two tone, 3-way toggle switch, wired Jimmy-Page style (volume push-pulls = coil split respective pup, bridge tone = both pups in/out of phase, neck tone = both pups series/parallel)

I suppose so. Every time I read 2 or 3 pleasant posts and then come upon one of your nasty remarks' date=' I just think "was that really necessary?" I doubt that you are this negative toward friends, co-workers and family members. Why continue to be that way here?[/quote']

You described essentially an ES-335 with one of those Naugahyde Gretsch pads on the back of it with a pickguard made by Twang who works out of his garage...tell me, unless we're being sissy sensitive where is the negativity?...sorry if I'm not all touchy- feely but if any thing, what I said was extremely accurate to what you described. I'm only negative with the obtuse and the stupid.

Mr.Nelson

You described essentially an ES-335 with one of those Naugahyde Gretsch pads on the back of it with a pickguard made by Twang who works out of his garage...tell me' date=' unless we're being sissy sensitive where is the negativity?...sorry if I'm not all touchy- feely but if any thing, what I said was extremely accurate to what you described. I'm only negative with the obtuse and the stupid.

Mr.Nelson[/quote']

It would nice to own an epiphone that has at least one part of it made in the United States, even if it is just the pickguard. :)/

I am so associated with my '58 Tele that it is kinda like having a signature model.

But don't deam it - live it.

I designed one and had it built.

Fender Broadcaster body style (with the shelf)

Thin Skin Paper White nitrocellulose lacquer finish (based on mid-1950s Fender white)

Bakelite scratchplate

Quartersawn Fat C carve neck (deep amber tint)

7.25 - 9.5 compound radius board

PAF humbucker in the neck

Tele flatpole in the bridge

5-way Superswitch

Switchcraft output jack

Nickel Gotoh Vintage Tuners

Heat Treated Steel Compensated Saddles

The guitar is wired so that when the humbucker is tapped it is "half-tapped" - the bass comes from both sides and the treble only from the screw side.

Whole things weighs in at just under 7 pounds.

RiceCustom1.jpg

In the magical world of "build your own signature guitar the way you might want it", I think that Agile does that from time to time, but your options are pretty restricted (e.g., I think your dream guitar has to be a Les Paul style). Still, built to order like some cars come is a nice idea.

I've also drooled over a carvin catalog on more than one occasion' date=' but my problem is that they almost give you too many options. I wouldn't know what kind of fret wire I would want, or what radius fingerboard... Not too keen on guessing, at 2k per guess. They are beautiful though!

[/quote']All show no go. I've yet to warm up to one single Carvin product.

New to this forum, just out of the Navy Submarine Service. I DID manage to take a Les Paul underway with me, played in the sonar equipment space with a Rockman X100 with headphones (the now no-longer-produced gadjet that makes the "Boston" guitar sound).

I want a Les Paul made out of paducah wood!!! Reddish-orange, deep, beautiful, fine grain, hi gloss finish, same neck wood, with Ebony fretboard and gold hardware. Actually, I'll take a Paul made out of any number of exotic woods - I LOVE wood grain guitars. To me a guitar should look like a fine piece of furniture and just take your breath away when you look at it. I've seen several on various websites, including this one, that make me smack my chops...

My current Epiphone is a Les paul studio, "worn brown", and I have a 1979 Gibson "the Paul" that I've owned since 1980. Most of my gear was sold off when I hit the Navy as I had NO reliable relatives to leave it with. Hated to lose my Musicman 130HD head and two 412 cabinets... [-o<

New to this forum' date=' just out of the Navy Submarine Service. I DID manage to take a Les Paul underway with me, played in the sonar equipment space with a Rockman X100 with headphones (the now no-longer-produced gadjet that makes the "Boston" guitar sound).

I want a Les Paul made out of paducah wood!!! Reddish-orange, deep, beautiful, fine grain, hi gloss finish, same neck wood, with Ebony fretboard and gold hardware. Actually, I'll take a Paul made out of any number of exotic woods - I LOVE wood grain guitars. To me a guitar should look like a fine piece of furniture and just take your breath away when you look at it. I've seen several on various websites, including this one, that make me smack my chops... [/quote']My first issue X100 is still working after all these years. Actually a great little toy.=D>

I tried to get a schematic for the x-100 from the manufacturer - even told them via letter that I was UNDERWATER most of the time and did not have the ability to mass-produce a clone of their gear! I just wanted to be able to fix the D@mn thing if it broke! No schematic from the "MFR". (could mean manufacturer or something else...). Hey, speaking of Carvin, I Learned to play on a Carvin, had single pickup that looked like a single silver "tube" with the ends rounded off. Haven't thought of that in years!!!

New to this forum' date=' just out of the Navy Submarine Service. I DID manage to take a Les Paul underway with me, played in the sonar equipment space with a Rockman X100 with headphones (the now no-longer-produced gadjet that makes the "Boston" guitar sound).

I want a Les Paul made out of paducah wood!!! Reddish-orange, deep, beautiful, fine grain, hi gloss finish, same neck wood, with Ebony fretboard and gold hardware. Actually, I'll take a Paul made out of any number of exotic woods - I LOVE wood grain guitars. To me a guitar should look like a fine piece of furniture and just take your breath away when you look at it. I've seen several on various websites, including this one, that make me smack my chops... [/quote']

Ahh Animal Farm...another Orwellian favorite of mine...welcome to the forum...I'm kind of a boring purist when it comes to Les Pauls (maple over mahogany) but I also love different kinds of wood and paducah makes especially nice amp cabinets (I have an acquaintance with a very old Mesa Boogie Mark I in a paducah cabinet and it's stunning)..your wood choice combination would also make an incredible Strat (which are actually my favorite guitars)...anyway, welcome again and have fun.

Mr.Nelson

All show no go. I've yet to warm up to one single Carvin product.

That's the other thing that continually scares me off... The inability to walk into a brick and mortar store and try out a few to judge craftsmanship and consistency. If they were in the 500 to 800 price range, I might chance it, but for 1500 to 2200, I'll stick with a Gibson.

Senor Nelson, excellent that you caught the Orwell reference, most don't. Thanks for the "Welcome". I didn't see any Newbie page or such. I have several technical questions related to the guitar above and beyond just thumping around on one. I was a radioman/Electronic tech, and I have a tech-oriented mind. I can tell the Navy changed my approach to playing as well - used to learn the songs and crank out a half-assed "adequate" lead, but not necessarily correct, just sounded similar. NOW my playing also is more technical note for note (with FEELING, of course). Hooray for me, that means I've grown musically, and means that I desire to be a proficient guitar tech. So, lead me to the right place in this forum for tech questions, if there is one!

My first issue X100 is still working after all these years. Actually a great little toy.=D>

Wasn't that Tom Sholtz ? I never got one of those because this neighbor kid of my parents who was about sixteen at the time (mid 70's) and an absolute electronics wiz, made me this belt clip headphone amp thing about the size of a paperback book that had like two stages of cascaded gain and two stage parametric eq which allowed endless voicing and a little four inch speaker that didn't sound that great but through headphones it was brilliant...and he only charged me like twenty bucks for the parts. This same kid traded me a 1957 Stratocaster for a two week old Gibson L6S and a Maestro Boomerang Wah in 1973...I traded the '57 back to the guy he bought it from (for $500) for a '62 which I still have... I was able to get a new guitar warranty from Gibson for him, because I knew the guys where I bought it, by transferring the original ownership to him..and his parents jumped at the deal. I used to keep my equipment in my parents' garage and I'd let him come over and wail on my Plexi Super Lead and he thought I was the greatest guy who ever lived lol I wish I knew whatever happened to him because he could fix anything and I could use him lol I think the headphone amp went south quite a while back but the carcass is probably still around in my basement somewhere...

Mr.Nelson

As Ed McMahon would say - "you are CORRECT, Sir! Ha, Ha, Ha...". Tom Scholtz wuz the dude. This little amp the guy you refer to made - was it a single sided circuit board? If so, perhaps if you find it you can do a point-to point drawing from component to component to re-engineer it. What DC voltage? Hmmm...

Senor Nelson' date=' excellent that you caught the Orwell reference, most don't. Thanks for the "Welcome". I didn't see any Newbie page or such. I have several technical questions related to the guitar above and beyond just thumping around on one. I was a radioman/Electronic tech, and I have a tech-oriented mind. I can tell the Navy changed my approach to playing as well - used to learn the songs and crank out a half-assed "adequate" lead, but not necessarily correct, just sounded similar. NOW my playing also is more technical note for note (with FEELING, of course). Hooray for me, that means I've grown musically, and means that I desire to be a proficient guitar tech. So, lead me to the right place in this forum for tech questions, if there is one![/quote']

There's no newbie page because essentially everyone's a newbie here lol..and ironically Marx Bros and I were discussing Bradbury and Orwell in another thread as you arrived..Ask your questions and someone here will answer...the expertise is kinda spread around..I kinda have the history and model minutiae department and Marx Bros has a lot of the more- technical stuff and there are others here with good information as well so just ask. Have fun, good luck and a welcome again. There's also an amp section for the amp technical questions.

Mr.Nelson

FWIW, Peducah is a city in Kentucky... The wood is called padouk, without the "uh" at the end... It's African in origin, and so far, it's not endangered, LOL! I used it to make a pick guard and truss rod cover for my white LP Baritone, it's really nice looking. It looked awesome against the white guitar, it was neat to see a solid color guitar with woodgrain appointments as opposed to the other way around. I wish I had some pictures... Only problem was that I sprayed it too heavily with the clear lacquer, so the finish was to thick. Everywhere the pick hit it, it got a big white scratch, and started looking trashy. I also didn't give it the proper 30 days to cure, I was impatient. I may do another one eventually, if I ever end up with another solid white guitar. Next time I'll make pickup rings too...

Archived