Gibson Brands Forums

Personalising a guitar

RenegadeMaster

Hello everyone, next weekend I am purchasing an Epiphone Les Paul Custom

And I wouldn't mind some advice on how to make your guitar that little bit special

Preferably aesthetic things which don't cost too much rather then hardware

I have seen some decals on guitars, can anyone point me in the right direction to do with them?

My advice on decals on guitars: Don't. The case, maybe, but the guitar should never ever have decals on them, imho.

Some inexpensive cosmetic things you can do is to change the pickguard, pickup rings, and knobs. But if you like those as-is, then leave 'em.

My advice on decals on guitars: Don't. The case' date=' maybe, but the guitar should never [i']ever[/i] have decals on them, imho.

Some inexpensive cosmetic things you can do is to change the pickguard, pickup rings, and knobs. But if you like those as-is, then leave 'em.

ditto to what he said.

you could get it refinished [custom paint job m/], but make sure they use polyurethane or nitrocellulose...

Decals might not be so bad, when you want to take them off just apply a little water and they should come off without affecting the finish on the guitar. Stickers are another thing. I'd never even consider a sticker on a guitar. Years ago I used to plaster my cases with stickers, but never my guitars. It's your guitar and your choice. Personally I wouldn't, but that is just me. I just think it makes guitars look, hokey.

I do agree with the other ways to personalize a guitar, pickups, knobs, pick guards, tuners, etc. I have done that to every guitar I own, with the exception of my American made Strat. I like it the way it is.

I have a friend that plays bass (extremely well I might add) and he has tons of decals on his bass. I think it's an awesome way to personalize your guitar, especially by adding symbols that define you or bands logos that you enjoy. I'm sure it won't wreck your guitar's finish, he's put on/taken off tons over the time he's had his bass and it still looks great!

I like the batman logo.

I like personalising guitars.

The finish may be affected by some things.. like life. *S*.. or by using something that affects it like a sticker.

Some people have no intention of removing that sticker and looking underneath.

so they don't care.

They intend to keep the guitar. and when the sticker wears off.. they'll point proudly to the blemish and say..

man I got that sticker in a cereal box twenty years ago.. and the glue is still there..

and laugh.

examine this subject in a more comprehensive way.

Brian Setzer has a big hole in his favorite guitar.

You can buy several varietys of already messed up guitars, often paying a premium in the process.

It's all good.

Take a long view.. recognize that your tastes may change. and the assign a value to that view.

then.. go for it!

TWANG

Yeah, I agree with most of what has been said already. The trouble with decals and stickers is that the glue can have a negative effect on the finish of your guitar. Should you ever take it off, you would be surprised how ugly it can make the guitar.

Besides, there are much better ways of personalising guitars. If it means that much to you, apply the decal or sticker to the pickguard, where the glue won't affect the plastic. Personally, I think Customs look incredible as they are, so I would leave it as it is, but it's your choice.

Its because the adhesive used on the glue in most stickers are slightly acidic and rape your guitars finish, besides they look tacky in most cases, best thing to do would to go to this website Here and either choose one that compliments your guitar or design your own and get them to do it for ya. its not too expensive either.

Hello everyone' date=' next weekend I am purchasing an Epiphone Les Paul Custom

And I wouldn't mind some advice on how to make your guitar that little bit special

Preferably aesthetic things which don't cost too much rather then hardware

I have seen some decals on guitars, can anyone point me in the right direction to do with them?[/quote']

I personalize mine by immediately changing the knobs to speed knobs. I like them better and find them easier to use.

I like that firebird decal, too.

Look, taste aside. it's just a question of the glue.. and if you want to risk the finish.

water slide should be cool.

I think I'm gonna put something on the tele I just got done.. but I'll offer it with the guitar instead of on it.

I might put one on my lp if I can find something that works on a burst. *G*

Personal touches shouldn't be left out. knobs, switch tip, tuner button style, truss rod cover, pickgaurd.. those all add personal touches and

they can vary really widely.

But I like all this stuff..

TWANG

Why do you not recommend decals?

Because, imho, the finish is an important reason why you bought a given guitar in the first place, particularly if the same model was available in different finishes and colors and so forth. To cover up the finish seems to defeat the purpose of getting that particular instrument.

I just want to add a small personal detail, looking at the pickguards someone provided, I dont want a new pickguard

But I like the custom truss rod covers, I might invest in one of them :-k and it says there not for epiphones

I think I might purchase the batman logo in gold and put it on the pickguard, its just a personal touch :)

And whoever mentioned about the speed knobs, a custom already has them on, and they are probs the best looking

knobs I've seen :)

Go ahead and slap a bunch of crappy stickers on' date=' take a belt sander to it while you're at it ....[/quote']

Hell, makes sense if you like tattoos and enough piercings that you look like you fell face-first into a fishing tackle box.

Go ahead and slap a bunch of crappy stickers on' date=' take a belt sander to it while you're at it ....[/quote']o

god man your a **** sometimes... who cares if someone wants to put some decals on HIS/HERS guitar i for one think some guitars could use a extra i have used temp tattoo's before comes off with baby oil and btw if you feel the need to take a belt sander to YOUR guitar do it who gives a rats a$$ what anyone else thinks ITS YOURS!!! have fun with it

Do whatever you want to to convey your personality. Decals, water slides, write on it with a sharpie, take a belt sander to it. It doesn't matter, do what makes you happy and appeals to you. Or leave it alone. Ultimately it's your choice. The fact there are so many opinions on this means that whatever you do, it will be personal to you.

Archived