Gibson Brands Forums

The best amp ever, in the existence of ever

Hiberna

What do you lot think is the best amp ever, regardless of price and if the're even made anymore.

i'll open by saying that a Diezel Herbert is the best amp ever due to the versitility, the cleans even when kranked and the crushing distortions achieved. Not to mension effect loop feeds for every individual channel and they even look damn sexual. even though they the most expensive amp to get, and the're not easy to acquire anymore im saving up for one of these bad boys.

ive played on most amps but ive yet to try a mesa triple rectifier, but apparently they have rubbish cleans.

This is an entirely impossible question to answer. The only quantitative, objective opinion one can offer towards it is actually with regard to amp build quality, and in that regard, the old Hiwatts are without match. Military specs throughout...true works of masterful art. I can't stand the tone, but build-wise, nothing even comes close.

Every other discussion is purely subjective, and therefore not terribly meaningful except to the person that hold's and shares his particular subjective opinion. It's like asking a group of people what the best flavor of ice cream is.

This is an entirely impossible question to answer. The only quantitative' date=' objective opinion one can offer towards it is actually with regard to amp build quality, and in that regard, the old Hiwatts are without match. Military specs throughout...true works of masterful art. I can't stand the tone, but build-wise, nothing even comes close.

Every other discussion is purely subjective, and therefore not terribly meaningful except to the person that hold's and shares his particular subjective opinion. It's like asking a group of people what the best flavor of ice cream is. [/quote']

well, the best selling flavor is vanilla... but i don't like it...

Best amp in the world? That's easy, although it used to be a tough question. Not anymore. For me, the best amps in the world are the ones I build for myself. Granted, none of 'em may be "THE" best amp in anyone else's opinion; but when you manage to build one for yourself, you'll understand. Heat up your iron and go for it!

Gil...

Best amp in the world? That's easy' date=' although it used to be a tough question. Not anymore. For me, the best amps in the world are the ones I build for myself. Granted, none of 'em may be "THE" best amp in anyone else's opinion; but when you manage to build one for yourself, you'll understand. Heat up your iron and go for it!

Gil...[/quote']umm...

i hope you don't mean like the clothes kind of iron or a golf club...

coz i tried and they don't work.

(j/k)

My old Ampeg with one 12".. and an accordian input.

I don't know the model number.

I only know, that at that time, in my head, it was perfect.

Probably, I wouldn't think so now, but I'll never have another so I can pretend can't i?

TWANG

I had three ricks, a 420 and two 330s, one a 12 string.

I was absolutely nuts about the whole shebang.

My old Ampeg with one 12".. and an accordian input.

I don't know the model number.

I only know' date=' that at that time, in my head, it was perfect.

Probably, I wouldn't think so now, but I'll never have another so I can pretend can't i?

[/quote']

You might be talking about something older that my amps are based on, but I have 2 Ampeg Superjet Reverbs- 50 watters, 12 inch combos, both with accordion inputs. I bought them used in the early 2000's...think they are mid to late 90's. They are really pretty good-though a little bit bright. Excellent to play in stereo...until I blew the power supply after having Frankenstiend (watching a friend do it that is...I was Igor) one to power a Motion Sound Speaker cab...still haven't gotten it repaired. The remaining one is often my travel amp, cos the BC 30 is so damn heavy.

Best amp in the world? That's easy' date=' although it used to be a tough question. Not anymore. For me, the best amps in the world are the ones I build for myself. Granted, none of 'em may be "THE" best amp in anyone else's opinion; but when you manage to build one for yourself, you'll understand. Heat up your iron and go for it!

Gil...[/quote'] I with ya Gil ,I also like the early JTM 30,45's 60's .But i'll stick with mine

Durn toot'n! :-$ Hey, I've heard your builds, Layboomo, and they are definitely most worthy! Be proud!

One of the best things about the best amps in the world (homebrew amps) is that you don't ever have to worry about voiding the warranty or finding a repair center. You know you can fix it if it ever breaks.

Meanwhile, I'm still chasing the tone of the best "sounding" amp on earth with every new project I dive into; mostly cuz I have previous amp projects as a benchmark to meet or beat. Besides, there are still too many tones to explore, and you just can't get 'em all from one amp. :-k

Okay, I realize this is all just my insatiable mod addiction talking; but it's always good to have some quick justification to explain why on earth I would "need" five VJr's. #-o And ya gotta admit, as addictions go, at least this one's been productive. 8-[=P~

Gil...

Gashole.. I had mine, used, in 1968 or 69.. fuzzy memory. But they were probably close. I don't think mine was fifty watts though.

That was the first tube amp I had that sounded great when you drove it hard.

My Brother always said.. but it's distorting, it's distorting.. and I'd just smile.

could have had a ten in it? ah age.. does wonderful things.

TWANG

Gashole.. I had mine' date=' used, in 1968 or 69.. fuzzy memory. But they were probably close. I don't think mine was fifty watts though.

That was the first tube amp I had that sounded great when you drove it hard.

My Brother always said.. but it's distorting, it's distorting.. and I'd just smile.

could have had a ten in it? ah age.. does wonderful things.

TWANG[/quote']

Dan auerbach of the black keys uses an old ampeg 2x12 I believe. I really like his sound.

Archived