Gibson Brands Forums

Explain to me how.....

Trojon

Epiphone can charge its consumers $649.00 for the Les Paul Standard Plus top? With all the talk of the declining quality coming out of china plus the fact that if we had to make one upgrade it would be the pickup swap and that costing somewhere around $100.00 for some decent pups. Then I go on Musicians Friend and see this

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC401VF-Electric-Guitar?sku=580200 . That model cost less, has a really nice set of pickups, and top to bottom their features are equal if not superior to Epiphone. You really wouldn't need to upgrade anything on it. The kicker here is the Sam Ash gear guide I got in the mail yesterday advertising that model for $539.00. Being completely honest which guitar of the 2 mentioned here would you spend your hard earned money in this day and age?

neither

I would save the extra $300 and get a Gibson Les Paul

Or $1500, as applicable. Although I don't want to reopen the "Epi Custom vs. Gibson Studio" thread again, by any means... LOL!

I just don't think the faded Gibsons, which are the only Gibson Les Pauls I know of that you can get into for under a grand, are any more worth their price than the Epis are. I might pick up a Gibson Studio in white as a second Gibson, but if I was only going to have one, I would save for a standard or traditional. Or buy used... You can usually get a nice mid 70's standard, or custom even, for not much more than the price of a new Studio these days.

Part of the reason epiphone gets hit from all sides is that they sold so many guitars that people are happy with.

Right now, it does seem like the competition is playing against that harder than ever.

There are a lot of Agile/Schecter/ESP guitars out there, not including fakes!, that seem to be pushing especially hard right now, given the

switch to chinese manufacture by epiphone.

The thick finishes, typical electronic complaints, and seemingly staid model choices by comparison.. seem to be giving the edge to the

competition.

I don't envy Rosenberg. On the one hand you've got an economic downturn, coming right on the heels of a major change in manufacturing,

A reputation built on traditional models, a new market which tends to look at both vintage and very different models with the same eye,

and a lot of people going for the same customer.

compensated nut, duncan pickups, and pretty much everything else being equal..

on top of a return policy..

That's going to be a hard argument to beat on reputation alone.

TWANG

Well, I have mentioned lately that after the last price increase that I don't see Epis as the bargain that they once were. I know the economy worldwide is tanking but I believe that for Epi to be successful that are going to have to find ways to build a better quality guitar at a better price point. And I will always believe that discontinuing the Elitist line was a hugh mistake, which was ultimately Gibsons decision, not Epi.

Well' date=' I have mentioned lately that after the last price increase that I don't see Epis as the bargain that they once were. I know the economy worldwide is tanking but I believe that for Epi to be successful that are going to have to find ways to build a better quality guitar at a better price point. And I will always believe that discontinuing the Elitist line was a hugh mistake, which was ultimately Gibsons decision, not Epi.[/quote']

If they were still made in the Samick or Unsung Korea factories, I would be willing to pay the increased price. But to pay more for a guitar whose quality seems to be going down, that's a hard pill to swallow.

neither

I would save the extra $300 and get a Gibson Les Paul

+1

No offense but I've seen a lot of people buying a cheaper

guitar upgrading it to the max and comparing it to the real thing.

What is the point, why not just buy a cheaper real thing w/ better

parts and be happy with it for a while at least.

Well' date=' I have mentioned lately that after the last price increase that I don't see Epis as the bargain that they once were. I know the economy worldwide is tanking but I believe that for Epi to be successful that are going to have to find ways to build a better quality guitar at a better price point. And I will always believe that discontinuing the Elitist line was a hugh mistake, which was ultimately Gibsons decision, not Epi.[/quote']

Amen to this. I may be in the market for a new guitar in the near future and it looks like it may NOT be an epi. I'm honestly looking at a few of the other brands mentioned here. I guess the "limited lifetime warranty" is attractive as opposed to the others that have one or two years.

Just my $.02

Have you considered the fact that changing to Chinese productions means all the Quality Control that was in place needs to be ammended for faults at the Chinese plant. This also means that the Quality will eventually go back to how it was. As with any company the have rough patches when their protocol changes in some way. So don't discredit Epiphone at the moment they will end up back on top soon enough just be patient.

Also the competition out there is fierce and always will be so just calm down. Yes ESP, Schecter and any other copy company are producing good guitars but they don't have the history or the Longevity so consider these.

Wrighty2012

Trojon, that ESP looks sweet and is yet another example of the plethora

of Asian guitars directly competitive with Epiphone. The Agiles are even

less expensive, like $400 models sporting ebony fingerboards, and

real MOP and abalone inlays. You're smart to consider the alternatives.

Trojon' date=' that ESP looks sweet and is yet another example of the plethora

of Asian guitars directly competitive with Epiphone. The Agiles are even

[i']less[/i] expensive, like $400 models sporting ebony fingerboards, and

real MOP and abalone inlays. You're smart to consider the alternatives.

Hey RonG.... Thought I'd go over to the other site EpiWiki and ended up in lala land. What is the website address?

Or $1500' date=' as applicable. Although I don't want to reopen the "Epi Custom vs. Gibson Studio" thread again, by any means... LOL!

I just don't think the faded Gibsons, which are the only Gibson Les Pauls I know of that you can get into for under a grand, are any more worth their price than the Epis are. I might pick up a Gibson Studio in white as a second Gibson, but if I was only going to have one, I would save for a standard or traditional. Or buy used... You can usually get a nice mid 70's standard, or custom even, for not much more than the price of a new Studio these days.[/quote']

Hey! That was my thread! :D loli know what your saying though

Hey! That was my thread! :) loli know what your saying though

LOL... Nothing against you for starting that thread. I was just saying that the last time that was debated in a thread, a few members ended up getting banned. (Not that they didn't necessarily have it coming...)

But yeah, I stand by my opinion that even a chinese made epi LP Standard or Custom is going to be a better guitar than the faded mahogany top Gibson LP studios. I haven't played the ones with the maple top... And I did get a chance to play a faded LP Standard that wasn't too bad... But the first thing I would have done to it if I bought it for the $1200 asking price would have been to spray a nice gloss finish on it. But the bottom end Gibson LPs in general, at least the ones that sit in the epi price range, just aren't all that great, IMO. Now, when you start talking about an actual Gibson Studio model, or the studio plus or whatever it's called, those are nice, arguably "better" than the top epi models... And once you get to the Standard and Traditional models, there's no question. At that point, it becomes more a question of "is it worth the price", which is just as much dependent on the player as it is the guitar. Sure, I would love to have a full size Chevy 1500 pickup, it's much nicer than my 4 cylinder S-10... But I didn't have 40,000 to spend on a truck, and all of my gear fits in the S-10. If I had had the 40k, I might have gotten the "better" truck, but my little guy does the job I need it to do, and I still have money for other things... Like overpriced Gibsons, LOL!

Archived